how did you discover Opeth?

BigDaddylicious

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2006
Just curious how everyone here discovered Opeth?

I was in Tower Records in Carle Place, Long Island about 2 years ago, and they were playing Death Whispered a Lullaby. I went up to one of the guys working there, and he told me it was his favorite band, Opeth (and showed me his Opeth tattoo)...
I bought the album and really dug it. then, about a few months later I was in another record store and found deliverance and blackwater park and bought them, and i was hooked. Within two weeks i had every opeth cd and they have been my favorite band ever since.

Friend of mine had Morningrise, heard Black Rose Immortal and thought it was pretty sweet, then To Bid You Farewell started playing and I fell in love.

I first found Opeth by stumbling across a Guitar Pro tab for Black Rose Immortal... i'd never heard anything like it - the twin guitars, the acoustic passages, melodic bass playing. I'd actually never listened to metal before :) from there it didnt take long for me to go out and buy Orchid

a friend of mine a few years back played The Moor for me, got right into SL,BWP & Morningrise within the next few month

I saw them in a mag and decided to check em out but thought they were ok. Then a friend sent me The Moor and I thought it was ok. Then I heard the outro of Deliverance on a fansite and thought that was awesome so I dled a few songs I was hooked.

Shortly before Still Life came out I heard "To Bid You Farewell".
Not their heaviest number but I was already into death metal and a little into black metal so Opeth felt like home.

I had always heard of this band named Opeth but I had always overlooked them and never really gave them a listen. A few years ago I decided to check them out and I haven't been able to stop listening to them since. I listen to them religiously hours a day now. I believe To Bid You Farewell was also the bait that got me.

I heard some really good music at a music store.. I didn't know who it was, I thought it might be that band Opeth. I've always seen their cds in music stores. I decided to check'em out. So I downloaded some songs with them. The first Opeth song I heard was "In The Mist She Was Standing" And I was hooked, I was completely unaware that it was from their first album:tickled:

I own all their releases and a little bit of merchandise. I think I became a fan of the band late 2001 or early 2002..I can't remember

A buddy of mine made me a disc with various prog and metal mp3s. The Drapery Falls was on there as was Harvest. He gave me another 2 discs with his choice of "greatest hits" after sitting down to digest that disc I went out and bought Deliverance, BWP, MAYH, and Lamentations. I have mp3s off the rest and plan on picking up the other discs as I find them.

I'd heard of them a while back, but never got around to checking them out. Took me a good month to actually START to listen to 'em cuz I was enjoying Pain of Salvation too much. Another quality find by my bud.

I'd also heard Mikael's work on Ayreon's Human Equasion disc

I'd heard of Opeth way back in 2001-2, but never bothered to take inerest. A friend said i should download some Otep (this would have been 2003). Having these two very similar names in my head i got them mixed up and low and behold, i downloaded "The Funeral Portrait", and was blown away. Everything has stemmed from listening to that song and My Arms Your Hearse, which I thought that song was on.

I post a lot on Musicianforums and people on there are obsessed with Opeth, so I heard enough about them that their acoustic side intrigued me. I downloaded some songs (I think TDF, BWP, Demon of the Fall, BRI, maybe one or two others) and while I did like the acoustic stuff I couldn't get over the growling. I didn't listen to them at all for a while but I had my interest re-sparked because of Steven Wilson's involvement with them, and I started liking some of the soft stuff. I bought Damnation. Then not long after that someone leaked GR and I downloaded that and after that I was hooked. I think my order of albums after that went Still Life - BWP - Orchid - I forget how the rest went...

at first all the stuff I heard was off of Damnation and I thought "How are these guys considered death metal?" well a whiles later, my friend really got into them and I checked out some of the heavier stuff. I wasn't that into them but after I saw them in concert i've been listening to them much more often

lo and behold, another Opeth fan.