how did you discover Opeth?

Thanks to Porcupine Tree.
Heard that SW had produced Opeth and was a fan. Really took a chance as I never really liked 'cookie monster' vocals. I was a little wary of GR but ordered it anyway. Wow blown away, within the week ordered still life etc...
Thank you Steve :)

Umm...I seem to recall hearing about them from a few people over the net. I got Ghost Reveries, which I do think is a very, very nice album. I want to delve into the back catalogue now 0_0 It all sounds to be so good...

1999...I bought a sampler/compilation cd called Firestarter, i think it was released by century media (Candlelight is a subsidary i think). The very last track was Nectar. I was blown away... I went to buy Morningrise but all i could find at the time was Still Life so i bought that. Eventually found Morningrise and Orchid in a specialty record store. They were the only albums of Opeth's for a while that i listened to over and over again...

My teacher told me about them (he was the one who got me into metal in the first place). I went and bought a album, then the next, and next.... I even got my dad into opeth and he's 65 years old :D

read an article about them, was intrigued, so I picked up MAYH about a week later when (no pun intended) I saw it in FYE.

A couple of years ago, I red somewhere that Opeth were the "metal most brilliant band" so I decided to download some of their songs! At that time, I thought that they were a "simple" death metal band and the first song I heard from them was "Harvest" so I was kind: "whoa that's not death metal" so I download "Forest of October" and "Advent" cause these songs titles were "metal"!!! By that time, I'm hooked and I really consider Opeth to be the metal most brilliant band!!!

How I discovered Opeth? Ghost Reveries came out and since it was a new album the price was about half as much as the usual CDs I buy so I bought it. Since then I got Blackwater Park and I plan on getting more soon.