How Did You Discover Opeth?

Why's everybody posting as if it was a life-changing experience for them?

A guy told me about them. I listened.

6-8 years ago a friend of mine gave me the Still life album. I put it in the cd player in the bathroom, got into the bathtub and began to listen to the first track. The Moor was astonishing, and so was Godhead's lament, but the third song, Benighted was the topmost. I learned classical guitar for 8 years or so and I found so much beauty in this 5:00 long song that it is my favourite song ever since. Then the friend gave me Blackwater park and I was completely lost. Opeth is my absolute favourite band ever since, no band can come close to them. Now I play in a Hungarian Opeth tribute band, we are rehearsing for an acoustig gig now.

i found a review for them on amazon.com, while i was buying a type o negative CD. I saw the name "Blackwater Park" , thought it looked like an awesome name, downloaded the title track to see what it was and then shit my pants. Have been addicted ever since.

I met some american guy on a internet game called tibia long ago now, we were quite good friends although I was really young back then, listening mostly to melo-death in flames etc but he told me about the song deliverance. I really liked it and heard harvest afterwards and I thought it was amazing. Shortly thereafter, my brother bought me MAYH and I was stuck

Back in 03, a guy on another forum site I used to frequent was raving about this band Opeth, who I had never heard of. He mentioned they were a death/prog band that had put out an all mellow album, and I thought I;d check it out. I thought Damnation was about the best thing I ever heard, so I followed up that purchase with Deliverance. It took me a while to get used to the harsh vocals, but I am now a flat-out extreme metal fanatic, thanks to Opeth.

I remember when I saw Lamentation in the store. I was like wow cool cover. I had heard so much good from this band without knowing what they really were. So I picked it up. Remember when I press play. It was Windowpane. I was amaze by his voice and the amazing music. I was like...was this supposed to be a metal band??? I started to skip tracks until I get to Masters Apprentices. I was blow away:OMG: It was so Evil! I watched the whole thing. Enjoyed the documentary. I show the dvd to my friend and we became huge opeth fans.

I remember around 3 or so years ago, I heard Master's Apprentices and thought the riff was nice and cool (this was during my "br00tal only lol" stage so the melodic parts put me off a bit), and I remember when GR came out Opeth exploded around my friends and for a while after that I seemed to be the only one who wasn't loving them. I bought Blackwater Park around this time last year and remember thinking that, while it had some cool moments, i didn't think much of it. I had some more of their tracks but I just didn't listen. A few months after I remember hearing Black Rose Immortal and liking it more, eventually becoming hooked. A few more months after and I've got Morningrise and I'm loving it.

And it just went on from there...I remember for a while I thought only the old stuff was any good but that isn't the case anymore as Deliverance is one of my favourite albums by them.

My brother downloaded some Opeth albums, cause he heard that they were some kind "artistic metal" XD (This was years ago when we were both quite young, 12, 13 or so). Anyway, I thought that The Drapery Falls was quite interesting song and so I slowly got into Opeth.

My brother had this online friend that recommended him a lot of music. I think he sent my brother "The Moor" which my brother then sent to me. I liked it but didn't think much of it at the time (bare in mind I was just getting into rock and metal at the time). I listened to it some months later and loved it, then over time got all their albums. Still a huge fan to this day. Now that my music taste has gotten very diverse since then I appreciate Opeth a lot more.

I met this guy(which i´ve never seen again haha)at the 00 new years eve party who was wearing an Opeth shirt,while i was wearing a Dio shirt. He came up to me and started the usual "You´re into metal huh?" talk with me and then tried to convince me to start listening to Opeth,i said something like "no no no,isn´t that the crap with acoustic guitars and shit?" But a couple of weeks later i bought Morningrise and i loved it from the first listen. I think i was lucky that i started with Morningrise because that style suited my likings better, if it had been Still Life at that time i probably would have dismissed Opeth as pretentious crap and never listened to them again.

New of the band for ages, listened to a few songs but didn't listen properly/couldn't get into it instantly...

Went round my mates who had downloaded some songs.. listened to them over and over (each listen making me liking them more and more)

Fell in love with them...

My cat got me into Opeth. There was an article on Mike in Kerrang, which my kids were reading. There was a picture of Mike and his cat, well I have a cat exactly like that one. Read that he liked Sabbath and so on. Downloaded When and been a fangirl ever since.

For the first time I listen to "black water park" i was amazed :p
It remains my faverite track in my favorite album !!

I saw an Opeth signature in a forum, and I found it pretty cool. Sometimes later then, i watched the last.fm list of Progressive Metal bands in order of popularity (at that time I had just got into that genre). Opeth was third behind Dream Theater and Tool, so i downloaded their discography. Some months later they became my favourite band and I bought their albums :kickass:

Being a long time Megadeth fan I regularly checked out the Gigantour websites. This is pretty much where I discovered all the metal bands I like today. In the music player on the site Ghost of Perdition was playing and it was fucking awesome (strange though, now I like there early stuff the most). I thank Dave Mustaine everyday for bringing awesome bands like Opeth, Nevermore, DreamTheater, Symphony X to my attention.

Hi. Newbie here. I thought that this thread would be a good place to make my first post.

I'm a long time Dream Theater fan, and on some Dream Theater forums a few other band names get mentioned rather frequently, one of which is Opeth. I checked out a few samples at Amazon.com probably about three or so years ago, but since I wasn't a fan of growling vocals, I figured that they weren't worth pursuing further. Opeth kept getting a lot of praise at the Dream Theater forums, though, so I couldn't help but notice, but I just wasn't getting it myself.

Then about two years or so ago a friend from one of the boards sent me a CD with a few Opeth songs on it. I tried again, and thought that the music was awesome, but still couldn't get past the growls. I had heard that Damnation didn't have the growls, so I figured that it would be the only album of theirs that I would be able to get into. I planned to eventually get that CD, but since I didn't expect to want to pursue Opeth further, I wasn't in a huge rush to bump Damnation up above some other stuff that I wanted.

Well, time passed, and then late last summer I bought Ayreon's The Human Equation, which I really liked a lot, including Mikael's vocals. He even let out a growl or two on it, and I could take it in small doses like that. In fact, it seemed to fit perfectly, which opened my mind about growling vocals. So then I pulled out that CD I had been sent previously and listened again, and it started to click. So last autumn I started buying Opeth CDs, and have been blown away. I never thought I'd like growling music, but there's just something extra special about Opeth, and I love the contrasts.

Just today I finally bought Orchid and My Arms Your Hearse, so I'll get to listen to them very soon. That leaves Morningrise as the only Opeth CD I don't have yet, but I'll definitely be getting it sometime relatively soon (and I plan to get the Lamentations DVD too).

To date, Opeth is the only growling band I listen to, but I must say that they've created some real masterpieces, and they are currently one of my favorite bands. They haven't converted me to a death-metalhead, but they have converted me to an Opeth fanatic. I can't wait for Watershed and The Roundhouse Tapes DVD!

Rock on, Mikael & co!

I went to my grandpa's 80th birthday party in June 2003. At the time, I was mostly into nu-metal and such. Anyway, my 2nd cousin (or something like that, not sure of the relation) liked my SOAD shirt and said "You should listen to the heavier side of metal." I was intrigued. He grabbed his CD collection, pulled out Opeth's "Deliverance" and put it on his CD player, selected track two and gave me one headphone. I listened. I liked it. He then proceeded to play some Cradle of Filth and Blind Guardian. I went home, and about a week later plugged "Opeth" into limewire. Someone had the Deliverance album, I downloaded. I started liking them pretty fast, it was many steps above and beyond what I had previously liked.

I finally bought Deliverance before I went on a family trip to Yellowstone. I spent the entire week listening to that album. I almost never touched my other CDs. I couldn't get enough. Every listen got me more and more into it, and I wanted more. As soon as I was home, I hit up as many filesharing services as I could and found their discography. Loved almost all of it. I also slowly began buying their albums.

4 1/2 years later - They're my favorite band, I own their entire discography (on disc, legally bought this time). I've seen them live at the NYC Chronologies show. Through them I've discovered countless other bands, whether directly or indirectly.