How does Opeth inspsire you?

Mar 2, 2004
Pooland
I now within seconds of people reading this they'll immediately reply "This thread is dumb" (whine whine pop a nut etc etc)"
But I'm really interested in knowing how Opeth inspires you. Being in a band and all, I'm inspired by the vast creativity of their music. Its amazing to hear they're stuff. Sometimes with other bands its so shallow so I listen to a song a few times then it gets boring. But Opeth's stuff is always fresh.. Just like that Foldgers coffee *mumble*... anyway...

I know I'm one of the many in Opeth's mighty fanbase who thanks dearly for their kickass music and the influences they bestow.

Well, we dont have any of that Foldgers coffee in Australia, so I'll try to reply without that smooth, rich taste.

Opeth's interest stems from their diversity and dynamics. This does not inspire me musicaly, as I am in two black metal bands with few dynamics. This merely opens my eyes to the possibilities of music. While I dont beleive that Opeth are the 'be all and end all' of modern metal, they remain as one of my favorites for the fact alone that they adhere to no trends. In the age of corpsepaint and grim imagery, they chose a pink flower as their cover artwork. That says a lot.

In this sense, Opeth inspire me to follow my own truths in accord with writing music. Few bands have the ability, or the balls.

In the age of corpsepaint and grim imagery, they chose a pink flower as their cover artwork. >> yea, i always thought that was cool since i was never into that corpsepaint idea!

opeth inspire me everytime i play my guitar!

I play in a progressive metal band called "Opiate" which is heavily influenced by Opeth, (seeing as they are my favorite band.) Even though I play bass, I still take Mikael Adkerfeldt as one of my biggest influences, because of his creativity, and "Outside the box thinking" I try to do the same with our songs In changing the mood instantly, and having very obscure"off the walll" chords. I thinking of Opeth everytime I pick up a instrument or turn on a cd or the radio, they are THE greatest.

I play in progressive doom/death band. We got no name yet. All of us are heavily influenced by Opeth. We incoporate jazz, classical, world music influences. Our songs include abstract, build up of sounds, sudden changes of moods. Without Opeth I wouldn't have looked at a brighter side for metal, without Opeth I wouldn't have discovered MotW, Kayo Dot, Ephel Duath, Cynic, Isis etc. Without Opeth, I wouldn't have gotten off my shred phase. :)

i play in a trash/metal core band. even tho we sound more like slayer or shadows fall than anything else. all 3 guitarist in the band (me being one) are heavily influenced by opeth. we have a lot of opeth type riffs that quickly change the mood of our brutal thrash fest.

so opeth influences me guitar wise. i look up to tool for lyrical ideas. i think maynards style of lyric writing is far superior to mikael. but thats my opinion

opeth doesnt really inspire any of the 2 bands im currently in. although every member of every one of theose 2 bands is a fan of opeth and has seen them live at least once, and i'd like to incorporate some acoustic elements into out songs, we dont want to sound close to opeth. just because it wouldnt really feel right with the music we are making (death mixed with gothic with a touch of folk, and some tr00 and grim black metal)

Mikael Adkerfeldt IS GOD. He can shred just as good as many of the other metal guitarists, but chooses not to on the albums becuase he tihnks it would not fit well. BTW Shred ISNT dead. Shred=\m/\m/, Opeth is a godly band who is my favorite. Without Opeth I dont know where I would be.

except for the obvious musical influences, opeth (still life) has provided me with inspiration for the adventure game i'm developing, and that i'll probably never finish... actually it's more than inspiration, i'm ripping off some parts from the story of the album.

Opeth really doesnt inspire me directly or in particular, for they continue in the same sort of creative/dynamic vein that most the older bands i listen to invented in the first place. But i do certainly appreciate how Opeth has incorporated many of those ideals and aspects into the metal genre, which i feel is going downhill rapidly.

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
Mikael Adkerfeldt IS GOD. He can shred just as good as many of the other metal guitarists, but chooses not to on the albums becuase he tihnks it would not fit well. BTW Shred ISNT dead. Shred=\m/\m/, Opeth is a godly band who is my favorite. Without Opeth I dont know where I would be.
That has absolutly nothing to do with the topic. It's just praise.

Opeth\m/\m/ said:

Relax kid, we get it. But Mikael doesnt "shred"...and thank god for that. But based on your post, i recommend getting a hobby.