How would You Introduce Opeth to a friend or parents?

hexwind

Creepiness Och Terrorism
Jun 10, 2008
Psychedelic Planet
www.myspace.com
Opeth is my favorite band and my friends and parents think it's just an ugly screaming and random riffs in a musical form, yet they never listened to a full song or sth...i wanna introduce Opeth to them (friends and parents) in a way that gives them the right idea of this band is about.any ideas guys?

When I first started listening to Opeth, first song I listened to was Harvest. From that I imagined a prog rock band. Then I listened to Harlequin Forest and for some reason the file I downloaded (don't worry since then I now have both versions of GR) would cut out before the death vocals would come in. So then I pictured them as this Heavy prog rock band. Then I listened to the Blackwater Park album and was shocked to hear the death vocals on Leper Affinity. But I found it exciting and got use to it more.
For my friends especially the girls I usually give em a copy of Damnation and the other mellow tracks first off and they usually like Face of Melinda, so then I work my way from there.
Hope this helps.

For my ex, I made her a mix of all the mellower stuff ("To Bid You Farewell", "Benighted", "Atonement" and stuff like that. Hell even "Shilouette"). She was never going to get use to the death metal bits, but at least she had an appreciation of how great the band, in her case, could be, lol. A lot of people would probably wonder why they just don't do the mellow stuff all the time, but it is their loss. Personally I'm not too worried what my friends or family think of the music I listen to and to be honest I don't think much of a lot of theirs but we at least have some common ground so we can get along.

^But it hurts when u hear prejudice about your favorite band who was always there for you. Especially from friends who listen to shit music (imo) like Techno,House and bla bla bla and they call Opeth music is just screaming and loud noise. I can't stand that

I found that only fellow metalheads and musicians appreciate Opeth the way I do.

Of course my family doesn't appreciate the music, but when I introduced Opeth to one of my music teachers in high school he fell in love with them.

I guess it all really depends on how musically open-minded your friends and family are. When I listen to Opeth, I am baffled by the complexity and beauty of the arrangements while my family is baffled by Mikael's growls and don't understand why he would sing like that.

Especially from friends who listen to shit music (imo) like Techno,House and bla bla bla and they call Opeth music is just screaming and loud noise. I can't stand that

You're being a bit of a hypocrite here. You think your friends' music is shit; they think your music is shit. Yet somehow they're the wrong ones.

Just let it go.

If you can't let it go, there might be some hope that they'll enjoy Opeth if you just play it around them. If they're at your place, or in your car, then they don't have much say in what music is being played, right? Just play Opeth a lot around your friends. They might find themselves enjoying the music after a while (a couple of my friends picked up on Opeth and death metal in general this way).

Althpugh I am some kind of, we shouldn't really be Opeth missionaries. It's not like they will become Wittgenstein if they listen to Opeth, "just let it go" was a good idea in a sense.

I found that only fellow metalheads and musicians appreciate Opeth the way I do.

Of course my family doesn't appreciate the music, but when I introduced Opeth to one of my music teachers in high school he fell in love with them.

I guess it all really depends on how musically open-minded your friends and family are. When I listen to Opeth, I am baffled by the complexity and beauty of the arrangements while my family is baffled by Mikael's growls and don't understand why he would sing like that.

Ya i know how it is, my family can't stand the growls but likes the softer music, but thus they still don't like Opeth o_O?

I got my best friend into Opeth by bringing him along to the Oct. 21st concert this past year. Since then, he's like me when it comes to Opeth....can't get enough. He's now also got all his co-workers into Opeth, he played them on the way to Georgia during one of their roadtrips and I got a text about it; hilarious.

Now I'm attempting to get one of the supervisors at my work into Opeth. She listened to Blackwater Park and enjoyed the harmony of it, but didn't really like the growls, but I gave her a copy of GR and I told her it has a good mix. She's looking forward to listening to it.

Just spreading the love :-D :kickass: :headbang:

It would depend on the person's musical taste. If they were into metal, I'd play them Still Life or BWP. If they were not into metal, I'd play them Damnation, Patterns In The Ivy I and II, and Still Day Benath The Sun.

I've been trying to get my wife to listen to Opeth for a few years now. She just doesn't dig the growls or the heavy parts. She loves Damnation, but that's about it. I'm sure that most people would like the melodies of Damnation, but the growls turn a lot of people off if they are not used to them.

Then again, most people don't understand my love for Miles Davis or Theolonious Monk either. *shrug*