Introducing opeth to a jazz/classical influenced musician

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
I have a music teacher who only truely appreciates jazz and classical genres of music. Being a fan of opeth I know they incorporate these elements into their music. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose a song to introduce them to her.

So in other words, what's the most jazzy opeth song? What's the most classical opeth song?
I know these questions aren't very specific so just say whatever comes to mind, cheers.

Windowpane or The Lotus Eater :lol:

But it sounds like she's got a shitty taste in music anyway since she doesn't listen to mettul.

AFAIK, the only Opeth song that even comes close to utilizing jazz HARMONY is For Absent Friends (due to the m7 chords used). Rhythmically, there are a few songs with drumming that might be considered 'jazz-influenced', like Windowpane, I guess.

I'm not sure about classical, but I do know that the very end of 'The Night and the Silent Water' sounds very similar to a famous piano prelude by Chopin.

None. Given that she only truly listens to jazz and classical she's probably an elitist bitch (much like a lot of metal heads are too) who wouldn't even properly listen to Opeth. You can't introduce Opeth with just mellow stuff because that's NOT what they are, and she would probably run away as soon as growls kicked in. There are better bands that you can show her that are far closer to the jazz spectrum, not Opeth.

Or you can just ignore this and do whatever you want.