Jazz me, baby (blatant thread-title plagiarism)

D Mullholand

[project closed]
Aug 9, 2001
Visit site
Hamtai !

Since later Opeth albums are somewhat jazz-influenced, I figured this question would be valid here.

Are there fans of Jazz music amongst the people on this board ? What are your jazz preferences ? Fusion ? Whom do you consider to be the greatest jazz musician ? What meaning does improvised music have for *you* ?

As for me, I get most feeling from the music of Miles Davis - inherent spirituality in his every note, he was making notable influence on all musicians who played with him, and as a result his records have a very deep atmosphere - no excess notes or sax-wankery at all. I recommend Miles Davis to any Opeth fan - just stay away from most of his 80's records where he "crossed over" into commercial funk-jazz. Get any album from the 1950-1975 period, you won't regret it !

Similar praise goes to Bill Evans (the pianist) - some of his early albums are bland, but then he developed into something unbelievably original - a genius (I'm not afraid of this word). His music is full of really dense and harsh chords and harmonies, but at the same time yields a natural lyricism and is stunningly beautiful and bittersweet. As much as I like Chick Corea, I still think no jazz pianist before or after Bill Evans has ever achieved such stellar quality of expression.

I really love some newer jazz too (Jan Garbarek is one of my all-time favourites - very spacey and dark, with many ethnic/world music influences, but no 'cheesy' new-age), I'm also into fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra (and John McLaughlin's early albums are great too), Weather Report, Soft Machine (not jazz per se, more often mentioned as a prog-rock band), etc. I still have a lot to discover - are there any seasoned (or even newbies, I don't care) jazz fans here who can recommend me some good jazz ?

Thanks in advance,

D Mullholand
--------------------
NP: Ataraxia - The Moon Sang On The April Chair

:D :D :D :D
I been looking for jazz fans myself
as for your questions

Are there fans of Jazz music amongst the people on this board ?
YES! im certainly one

What are your jazz preferences ? Fusion ?
I like fusion but since im virtually a newbie i try to get myself into Bebop and Hardbop first, and im quite happy at that

Whom do you consider to be the greatest jazz musician ?
John Coltrane. I know i shouldnt be making judgements cause i got a long path to walk still, but it takes quite an impressive musician to complete open the mind of a kid so closeminded as i was...i would be forever thankful with him for that

What meaning does improvised music have for *you* ?:
Expression in its purest form. I like free jazz music cause i love the fact about being able to express yourself without limits and dont hold. Improvisation its the thing i most enjoy about music and jazz, i even try to bring some premature Mayor/minor scale improvisation into my solo's both with classic II-V-I chord sequences or with good ol Death metal riffs it works both ways if you Learn a few shortcuts to keep within the boundries of the styles, but you might as well dont to sound interesting and fresh

Im so glad i was just posting on the DT forum how no one was into jazz...:D

I like Miles Davis works, also know and like Mclaughlin and Bill evans but havent checked a lot of their material.

As for recomendation i can only hope you already know bands that mix jazz into metal and death metal stuff like the all mighty guys from Cynic, Gordian Knot and mr. malone's crazy Champman stick, Aghora, Red Tide....All of them great stuff and somehow way more influenced on jazz than Opeth...Maybe we should trade MP3 Sometime:D

I cannot get enough Jazz, Funk, Fusion :D
Misanthrope thanks heaps for those names, I will eargerly look them up. :cool:

No giant steps?
That song its gotta be one of the most amazing improvisations ever! =) If you are into John Coltrane you have to listen to it
I mean its just wild try to get a hold of the partitute the guy its changing tonality every 2 chords! just listen up for those Dominant 7ths and you see what i mean and on TOP of that the song its really fast and he improvises like its blues or something!!!
an then you can hear the guy on the keyboards barely keeping up....he was a genius i wish i could play improvisations like far away from that but not even that i can do:D

Yey, cool thread...

Herbie Hanock - god he started spaced out jazz, then basically started funk, played with miles davis (fusion) then started hip-hop (decent stuff) and then dance. If you like funk I recommend Headhunters - its just been re-released in a limited edition millenium thingey :) Future shock one of his hip hopey records has a few metal influences which is good

Charlie Parker - my favourite are his improvisations, I;ve got charlie parker jam sessions and they are just amazing - you will be blown away

Miles Davis - I only have a few albums, can someone tell me which his best albums are? Also the most rockey etc. I can get then on saturday as I can hire them all from the library

Jools Holland - very good with a full blues orchestra - is very good :)

Zakir Hussain (sp?) - many world influences, and amazing percussionist...

To me improvised music is pone of the highest forms of skill. Being able to just play with others and make it sound good is amazing, but often improv. sounds better than carefully written music IMO as people just go with the feeling, not the writing....

I´m sure a Jazz fan :D
how about you Lee?? :lol:

Here is some stuff I would recommend for ya D Mullholand...

Tribal Tech (Fusion)
Steps Ahead (Fusion)
Spyro Gyra (Fusion)
Keith Jarret (piano based)
Chat Baker (tradiational I guess)
Cannonball Adderly (Sax)

cheers!
ante

Originally posted by Misanthrope
As for recomendation i can only hope you already know bands that mix jazz into metal and death metal stuff like the all mighty guys from Cynic, Gordian Knot and mr. malone's crazy Champman stick, Aghora, Red Tide....All of them great stuff and somehow way more influenced on jazz than Opeth...Maybe we should trade MP3 Sometime:D

Yeah, I love Cynic and Atheist, I also heard some snippets of Gordian Knot but I'm not so sure about them yet... I know Opeth are not the kings of jazz-metal, there are just some parts on Still Life which remind me of Pat Metheny, plus the solo on Harvest is obviously jazz.

D Mullholand
---------------------
NP: Chick Corea - Again and Again

Originally posted by ante
Keith Jarret (piano based)

I have some albums by Jarrett, I prefer his work with his Standards trio - some really ecstatic music there ! I'm not so sure about his solo improvisations - too cheesy at times, these gospel melodies. And somebody needs to tape his mouth shut !:D

D Mullholand
-------------------------
NP: Chick Corea - Again and Again

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Miles Davis - I only have a few albums, can someone tell me which his best albums are? Also the most rockey etc. I can get then on saturday as I can hire them all from the library

Zakir Hussain (sp?) - many world influences, and amazing percussionist...

My favourite Miles record is 'My Funny Valentine' so far, but I've got a huge Miles collection so who knows how will it change... 'In a Silent Way' is also up there.

I have some Zakir Hussain's albums with John McLaughlin and Jan Garbarek - great stuff !

BTW, huge thanks to everybody for all the responses !

D Mullholand

I really like fusion.

Chick Corea Electric Band
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Any of Victor Wooten's projects
Jaco Pastorius
Henderson/Smith/Wooten
Michael Manring
Jeff Berlin

and then we get into the more rock/guitar shredding/fusion style...

Steve Morse
Vinne Moore
Tony MacAlpine

Hell, there's just so many great fusion artists/bands out there. Just can't think of any more names right now. Anyway, when you listen to these type of artists your jaw just drops in utter amazement at their musicianship. It's almost unimaginable how much time and energy they have put into music to have progressed that far.

He is damn good But I still think Flea is better than him...

Flea better than Wooten! Ha! I hope you're kidding! Flea's good, but I could name a shitload of bassists who are more advanced in terms of overall musicianship. Now if you're saying you just prefer Flea's style, that I could understand.

in middle school i asked my music teacher if i could sample some jazz, i heard a song that was like "potatoe, po-tat-oo" and a frog like voice that i think was a woman, ever since then ive never listened to jazz. But if theres a jazz band that sounds like opeths acoustic stuff im all for it!

Al Di Meola- Guitar god! (even though his last few efforts have sucked........). I love his 70's fusion stuff, with all the cheesy keyboards- classic! And 'that' live album with Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin is one of the best guitar albums ever:headbang:

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn
Flea better than Wooten! Ha! I hope you're kidding! Flea's good, but I could name a shitload of bassists who are more advanced in terms of overall musicianship. Now if you're saying you just prefer Flea's style, that I could understand.

Well, I've only got one bass solo by wooten, and that really isn't hugely impressive, I mean its very good just.... not as good as flea'ssolos I have. I don't know about overall musicianship as I don'thave enough of both to judge....