What if Opeth made a jazz/fusion album?

Ehm.. That better be sarcasm :ill:

I've written some parts for a schoolproject, on which I will record an album. It's really not that much harder than blues (well it is, cause blues is cake).
I can't see why it would be a problem for Opeth to be honest.

I've written some parts for a schoolproject, on which I will record an album. It's really not that much harder than blues (well it is, cause blues is cake).

I agree that very basic fusion is not extremely hard, but writing quality fusion is way harder than just sticking some scales and chords together (not to mention improvising). Maybe Per could write some decent fusion, since he a fair share of knowledge about muscial theory. It would certainly be interesting to see Per and Mike work together on a fusion album, we'd get fusion with an Opethy feel to it. I guess that if they ever decided to do that, they'd release the album as a side-project, because pure jazz/fusion is just not really part of the "Opeth sound".

:rolleyes:

I play the guitar for over 10 years now, and I would safely say that I understand, and can play the Blues. That's not to say I would consider myself a good Bluesplayer, because there's more to Blues than just theory. But no matter how many times I've tried, I just can't wrap my head around Jazz theory. And that's coming from someone who knows more than just basic Minor or Major chords...
I know all the parts needed for Jazz, like chords, scales and modes, but I just can't seem to piece them together as a coherent whole...

Which saddens me, tbh.

Fusion does not have to be so advanced as many of you seem to think. it could be, like any other genre, but you can make it pretty simple.

Fusion does not have to be so advanced as many of you seem to think. it could be, like any other genre, but you can make it pretty simple.

Exactly! That was my point. I mean, The Lotus Eater was fusion in a way, because it contained a jazzy part. And what a part that was. I read one critic describe it as something from a Miles Davis album.:headbang::cool:

What is with all these thread 'What if Opeth made a <insert genre here> album?'.

What if Opeth made a reggae album? Or a country album?

Seriously, so little going on around here at the moment that this forum is becoming purely speculative, and the more and more topics that are churned through, the more they become rather irrelevent and absurd. I understand that Watershed was released about what, a year ago now and that everything and anything that can be discussed about it has been (multiple times in some cases).

I suppose on topic, I don't see Opeth doing something like making a jazz/fusion album. Nor would I listen to it probably when I already have my clutch of Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams albums, and to be honest, I don't think most people are going to top those albums that happened at the cusp of the (sub)genre, let alone Opeth if they tried their hand at it.

Opeth seem to borrow occaisionally from other styles and reinterpret it to an extent into their own compositional style and that seems to work just fine. Being influenced by something is one thing, but...

I think he totaly got it, I mean, anyone could pull of a piece of fusion, even I. it's just to memorize some scales tbh, which I think Mikael totaly knows by now, since he plays them :/

Jazz and fusion has a lot to do with chord-progressions and CHANGING modes and scales. Of course you can just diddle scales and call it jazz/fusion, but might as well fart into the microphone and call it death metal then.

Also agreeing with CWs post regarding "what if opeth made this" and "what if opeth made that" its kinda retarded. They may be versitale but I dont mike would write anything that'd sound that different to the opeth style, he is the opeth style. I think burden is the most farout track so far actually.

What is with all these thread 'What if Opeth made a <insert genre here> album?'.

What if Opeth made a reggae album? Or a country album?

Seriously, so little going on around here at the moment that this forum is becoming purely speculative, and the more and more topics that are churned through, the more they become rather irrelevent and absurd. I understand that Watershed was released about what, a year ago now and that everything and anything that can be discussed about it has been (multiple times in some cases).

I suppose on topic, I don't see Opeth doing something like making a jazz/fusion album. Nor would I listen to it probably when I already have my clutch of Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams albums, and to be honest, I don't think most people are going to top those albums that happened at the cusp of the (sub)genre, let alone Opeth if they tried their hand at it.

Opeth seem to borrow occaisionally from other styles and reinterpret it to an extent into their own compositional style and that seems to work just fine. Being influenced by something is one thing, but...

See, that is not the way you should talk, unless you want this thread to be turned into a nightmare. Country?Reggae? Show some respect for us others and not just your ego. If you can't post without taking to insults...you get my point.

^ I believe you took my joke a little bit too seriously. I'm not hiding behind my computer or whatever, like I already said, it was a form of joke and it's something I often do. I like to laugh with the words WHAT IF. And how can you say you don't care if I don't understand, you idiot, the goal of a reply is to send the message and ensure that it is acknowledged. And even though Mendez is right in his statement, I feel like you are using that quote only to get an authority on me, and that's just silly. :Smug:

v With pleasure.

ok, now give Åkesson a wet kiss and live happily ever after.
20080823_163227_230800.jpg