the mars volta

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
is anyone on here a fan of them? would it not be sweet if there was ever a mars volta/opeth tour?

i think that these guys are amazing...omar writes some of the coolest riffs i have ever heard...cedric bixler's vocals are fucking sweet...he hits those high-register notes with pure chest, very warm sounding. john theodore (spl?) is an insane drummer - very jazz influenced...infact, he was in a jazz band (golden) for like ten years before he joined the mars volta.

to me, these guys are truly progressive rock...genre defying...i have read that they don't like to be dubbed progressive rock...but i think that "progressive" is a term that has a very loose meaning in the realm of music...and they fit well in my own definition.

i think an opeth/mars volta tour would be appropriate and kickass.

what do you guys think?

^^^^^^^sweetness...have you ever seen them? anyway, i have...its interesting...they do a lot of improve...which is cool, but for me, it dwells too much at times. a lot of times they will stick around one idea and expand on it...which is cool...but i get bored...one really cool thing is that a lot of times, they will change riffs in recorded songs. i was watching a live video of inertiac esp...it was the same in rhythmic structure, but he changed a lot of the notes...it gave the song an entire different feel...which was fucking sweet. while i was watching it, my friend mentioned that he had read an interview with omar where he was asked about his live improve (especially in reference to changing pre-recorded songs)...his answer was, "i like to create...thats what music is about...why come here and play the same songs that everyone has heard." i think that's pretty fucking sweet...although i do enjoy seeing songs in their true form....its still a cool take on things.

Apostle In Triumph said:
Ya my friends say the same, as for me, I don't really like the song "The Widow" or whatever it was, but that's the only song I've heard by them.

in my mind frame, you only hearing the song widow is like only hearing the grand conjuration.

some recommended tracks to download/checkout/whatever

(from frances the mute)

5.Cassandra Geminni: A. Tarantism

1. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus: A. Sarcophagi/B. Umbilical Syllables/C. Facilis Descenus Averni/D. Con Safo

(from deloused in commotorium)

6. Eriatarka

10. Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt

JoeVice said:
in my mind frame, you only hearing the song widow is like only hearing the grand conjuration.

some recommended tracks to download/checkout/whatever

(from frances the mute)

5.Cassandra Geminni: A. Tarantism

1. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus: A. Sarcophagi/B. Umbilical Syllables/C. Facilis Descenus Averni/D. Con Safo

(from deloused in commotorium)

6. Eriatarka

10. Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

I heard Eriatarka about a month before the album came out and fell in love. While there are a few moments on Frances the Mute that I know I would enjoy more if I did acid, I still think it was a decent release.

I have not seen them since October 2003, but that was a great show.

They're from El Paso (at least the main men).

When De-loused came out, I went totally nuts over them, and that album is probably still in my personal top 10... or at least top 15 :)
Frances the Mute sounded promising at first, but then it never blew me away like the debut. I saw them live last summer and was very disappointed, every time the audience was starting to heaten up they brought it down with useless jamming. They seem to be a bit too sure about their talents, they're nowhere near as good in improvising than they should be in order to pull of the kinds of shows they do.
After the very few listens I've granted to Frances after that, I've noticed what really sucks about the album. The lack of producer. There are way too long and too many unfitting "ambient" parts between songs and way too many pointless, off-key, unimaginative guitar solos. They just can't keep the album together.

Sorry if this post is hard to understand, my english isn't so fluent at 4:27 AM.