The Mars Volta

cmwolfe

Apr 7, 2007
Hey all, I was just wondering what other Opeth fans think of The Mars Volta. I'm listening to "De-Loused in the Comatorium" right now and it's a very good album.

I'm a big fan of De-Loused as well. I discovered TMV soon after De-Loused was released, and loved it, in fact at the time I remember telling a friend to give it a listen and saying "imo this is about as good as rock gets." :headbang:

Picking a favourite track is hard and maybe pointless anyway, but having said that, It's gotta be Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

I haven't liked their subsequent releases as much though. What was an awesome element of the music on De-Loused — the ambient and abstract parts of the sound, that is — just became noise for me on Frances the Mute. I still enjoy their later work though, just not as much as De-Loused. I'm going to have to give Amputechture a few more listens too because I don't really know it well enough to comment on yet.

I saw them live at the '06 Big Day Out (an Australian festival) and they were awesome. I was really impressed with how well their music translates to a live show.

It wasn't until later that I got into Opeth. Ah well, better late than never :)

De-loused is off the charts awesome.....original and impressive. The rest I could do without, they make Grateful Dead jams sound focused and coherent in comparison.

Sorry to play the devil's advocate, but I really can't stand these guys... I'm a Dream Theater fan, and I *still* think it's embarrassing how much the Volta wanks off on their CDs.

lmao, why dude? i do like Tool

At least Tool's singer isn't an irritating twat who sounds like something between a mad hyena and Bjork on helium, terrible gay voice. That salsa-prog noise that Mars Volta plays annoys me, awful guitar solos, and everything just gets worse when the music goes like: ''ITS JAM TIME''...ugh, good christ. Also, those latin songtitles are pure comedy(i know it is not relevant, btw)...idk, i just can't take these guys seriously.

Hahaha, although I don't like Tool, I'm joking. I like me some Mars Volta, but what you say is definitely legitimate. And their song titles are indeed hilariously ridiculous.

You dumbasses need to stop listening to mainstream fag music and start listening to something decent. Try some DarkThrone, which might even put a little hair on your puny bird chests.

yeah. you guys need to get all caught up in the superficialities of retarded music fans and base your opinion of bands on how popular they are.

the best band in the world is currently my nextdoor neighbor's garage band. they just formed this morning and i'm the only one who even knows they exist. haven't heard any of their music yet (they actually haven't written any) but they're obviously the best band ever at this point in time