Top 10 Newer Albums of the Past Decade that have changed you.

Jester-Race

Nov 8, 2006
Kansas.
Top 10 Newer albums that blew you away, and/OR changed your life. These have to be something where sure, you know the other part of your library are AMAZING but these albums have in certain periods have literally changed your life in ways no one else can imagine, weither it be from lyrics, the arrangement of musicianship, or just in flat out miraculous amazingness. Make sure you don't mention anything pre 1999---- that's not what this post is about. Thanks!

1. Still Life (Opeth)

2. The Way of All Flesh (Gojira)

3. Blackwater Park (Opeth)

4. Ghost Reveries (Opeth)

5. Materia (Novembre)

6. From Mars To Sirius (Gojira)

7. Traced in Air (Cynic)

8. De-Loused In The Comatorium (The Mars Volta)

9. The Great Cold Distance (Katatonia)

10. Colony (In Flames)

Enjoy!

I don't think music has ever changed my life in any way, but I can list 10 albums that changed the way I see music in general, and have a lot of importance to me, I hope that fits with your idea...

(Not in any particular order)

1. Tool - 10,000 Days

The first Tool album I ever heard, by accident really. But it is now linked to serveral moments in my life, some really good times, and some bad times. It got me into Tool, which eventually got me into other non-metal music.

2. Lamb of God - As The Palaces Burn

The first record I loved with "harsh" vocals. At the time I was listening to stuff like Megadeth and Iron Maiden, when one day the vocals to this record just clicked. This set me on my path to more extreme metal music, deathcore, metalcore, black metal, etc etc.

3. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood

I would have put Antichrist Superstar, but to stick with the "nothing pre-1999" I went with Holy Wood. But to be fair, I consider the triptych (Antichrist, Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood) all of equal importance to me. When I figured out the intelligence, and incredible story telling and concept behind these three records, they became some of my favorites. I realized how much I loved concept records, and I love to pick apart the story and try and get in the artists head to see why they wrote what they did.

4. Opeth - Ghost Reveries

The record that got me in to Opeth (I think). I can't really remember if this was the first Opeth record I heard, but I do remember when I saw the brilliance of Opeth's work. Not so much of an important album musically because I had already been divulging in metal for years, but I still hold it close to me.
5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞

The first time I heard this record I was blown away. I never had heard any thing like it (even though I loved post-rock before I had heard it), and it completely changed the way I looked at how music could be done. I still have yet to find a post-rock record that tops this in terms of originality and importance (to me at least).

6. Radiohead - Kid A

This record confirmed my love for Radiohead. It is such a pivotal album in music history, and really shows how modern music is thriving. This album always helps me out when i'm down, and its definitely a record I hold close to me.

7. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

This was love at first listen. Another record I had never heard anything like it before. This really helped expand my tastes into more obscure and progressive music.

8. Linkin Park - Meteora

I don't think anyone who grew up in the 90's could say they didn't like this album. This was the first album I bought and loved. Of course, the last time I listened to this was in middle school, but it still played a huge part in my musical journey and what I listen to today, i'm sure others feel the same way.

9. Aphrodite's Child - 666

This record brought me into a world of obscure 70's prog that I now love. I listened to the usual artists before this (King Crimson, Yes, Camel, etc), but this record really blew me away. The concept, the music, everything about it is perfect. After listening to this I had to dive deeper into the 70's prog pool and find the most obscure artists I could find.

10. Battles Mirrored

And lastly, Mirrored. This record is insane. These guys pushing modern music in a direction that has never been explored before. I hope other artists learn from these guys, because they are definitely on to something.

Well there it goes, 10 records that have changed my musical life.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say these "changed my life", but they probably have meant the most to me on a musical level:

1. Blackwater Park (Opeth)

2. Mabool (Orphaned Land)

3. World of Glass (Tristania)

4. Organasm (Alchemist)

5. With Vilest of Worms to Dwell (Hollenthon)

6. Imaginary Sonicscape (Sigh)

7. In Glorious Times (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum)

8. Requiem: Mezzo Forte (Virgin Black)

9. The Mantle (Agalloch)

10. All Flesh is Grass (Madder Mortem)

1. Blackwater Park (Opeth) - This album essentially allowed me to look past the ugliness of growling due to the sheer awesomeness of the music I heard, and led me to look for other metal (and other bands like PT or Camel) and ultimately become the music listener I am today.

2. Lateralus (Tool) - My favorite album of all time (yes, my favorite album only made #2, BWP just changed me that much). Makes me wish I could play every rock instrument as this album has hooks in the drums, the bass, and the guitar. Basically I love every track, blah blah blah, its awesome.

3/4. Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice / Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeturnum (Deathspell Omega) - I was already into Bathory and Emperor but these two together really opened up the genre of black metal to me, the former making me want to pursue other black metal in general and the latter showing me all the atmosphere the genre could hold. It's hard to say which I like better now, Fas definitely would win with its atmospheric parts, but its heavy parts are still really hard for me to comprehend with the extra-loud mixing on the drums and all.

5. Lightbulb Sun (Porcupine Tree) - I can't honestly say as I can with others that this made me fall in love with its genre because quite honestly, I still don't like a lot of modern prog, but this is certainly my favorite from that genre nevertheless.

6. Annihilation of the Wicked (Nile) - I'm more into early death metal but imo this is the best modern death metal album (with some competition though of course). Along with some early stuff like Carcass and Morbid Angel, this band and specifically this album really made me love good death metal.

7. Oceanic (Isis) - I had heard this long before I was a metalhead or I had heard Opeth (saw Isis open for Tool so I got a headstart with them); I wasn't into a whole lot of good music at this time and certainly not much prog, so this really showed me how bands could combine heavyness and atmosphere amazingly. The Other remains my favorite track off this gem because of the atmosphere.

8. The Maniacal Vale (Esoteric) - People raving about this last year made me check it out and it hasn't made that much of an impact on me till recently when I decided to go shopping for a start to a lil funeral doom collection and it has become one of my favorite sub-genres of metal after good ole black/death.

9. Damnation (Opeth) - Along with Porcupine Tree, this just made me want to go hunting for more really melodic prog. I think I ultimately found Camel because of this, and their first 4 albums are some personal favorites.

And um...I can't really think of others that changed me all that much so..

10. Ghost Reveries (Opeth) - Another off the ole favorite albums list...

...TL;DR

please explain me how the flying fuck an album can change you besides your tastes in musicsx

i was born in 85 and i've always hated linkin park

I grew up in the 90's...I hated meteora (it's their second album right?)... i liked their first album though, I even used to rap along to one of their songs watching Mtv when i was like 12 :D...and btw i'm pretty sure their first album came like 99 or 00...amirite? So you can't really count it into the 90's.

Ten albums that literally changed your LIFE? And all of them are metal (except maybe Mars Volta)? Yeah okay dude.

Changed my life in terms of music, yes. Music listening is my life. I listen to music almost every hour of every part of the day. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way I do. The past 10 years since the millenium have been great to me in music, and "metal" is such an old term for music these days. If you don't want to post in the thread then don't, or contribute by making a coherent post plz rofl

1. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

best album ever, got me into all of it.

2. Kiss - Hotter than Hell

started liking it when I was like 4, got me into rock music.

3. Opeth - Blackwater Park

got me into Opeth.

4. Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line

Got me into the soft side of rock, and such band as Volbeat.

5. Devil Driver - The fury of our makers hands

made me dig Growling.

6. Electric Boys - Groovus Maximus

took a big part of my youth, bein a sleaze rocker as a teenager. it meant so much to see them live for the first time this saturday. (after like a 10 year breakup)
it was incredible, they were the best band at the festival, at least better than the 18 other bands I catched, and better than Opeth! :O
Conny Bloom is the best guitar improviser I've ever heard. CHECK HIM OUT.

7. Foo Fighters - In your Honor

My first real crush. best tour ever, and my first real consert in Kristiansand in Norway, just before this release. the titel song is the best live song ever.

8. Opeth - Watershed

My favourite album by any artist (along with TCATS).

9. Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Very Important to me, all of the albums by Katatonia are. always something to listen to when feeling down, to make my day.

10. Dia Psalma - Stora Bollar av Eld

got me into lyrics and mysterious woods and such.

I've forgotten many, but that's cause I've got the worst hangover.

i was born in 85 and i've always hated linkin park

Well you missed the cool train by 5 years I guess, I meant born in the 90s, sorry. And its not like EVERYONE loved them, I just know a lot of people that have said the same thing about Linkin Park getting them into different music, not everyone is the same though.

koi said:
I grew up in the 90's...I hated meteora (it's their second album right?)... i liked their first album though, I even used to rap along to one of their songs watching Mtv when i was like 12 ...and btw i'm pretty sure their first album came like 99 or 00...amirite? So you can't really count it into the 90's.

Yeah, I remember liking Meteora more than the first one, plus I think it was in 99 so the first one wouldn't count anyway, not sure though.

1 - opeth - watershed

this gave me a new outlook on music as a whole. it showed me that an album can be so diverse and can be so progressive. now i listen to all sorts of music, from metal to progressive rock!

1. Opeth - Still Life
2. Tom Waits - Alice
3. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
4. Agalloch - The Mantle
5. GYBE - Lift Your Skinny Fists
6. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
7. Ulver - Perdition City
8. Deathspell - Fas Ite
9. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
10. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

Disillusion- Back to the times of splendor
This cd just kicks so much ass. I cant really recall taken on a journey quite like this in a long time.

Metallica- Death Magnetic
I know the bands pretty much done or at least the glory days but this is what a lot of us were expecting 20 years ago.

Moonsorrow- Kivenkanaja
My first viking metal album and a great entry for me into the genre.

Slough Feg- Atavism
An interesting band to say the least. I have all of their stuff and this album really stands out atm.

Dream Theater- Live Scenes from a Memory
My favorite album live. I don't care if you don't count this as an album.

Edge of Sanity- Crimson II
Crimson I was badass. So was this

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
I heard The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify before this but In Absentia was just really good and captured my attention more.

Ayreon- The Human Equation
Great story and great artists lending a hand on a master piece.

Bloodbath- RTC
One of my favorite death metal albums. (Though I don't listen to death metal intently)

Pelican- City of Echoes
For some reason I like this band a lot. Most of there stuff is good and reminds of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Fucking Champs and a little Sigur Ros.

in no order

rocket science (2000) tribal tech
play (1999) mike stern
it's all around you (2004) tortoise
live in your head (2006) don ross
annihilation of the wicked (2005) nile
metheny/mehldau quartet (2007) pat metheny / brad mehldau + others
meditation (released 2002, recorded in the 70s - dunno if this counts) joe pass
heartcore (2003?) kurt rosenwinkel
bath (2001) maudlin of the well
sonny, please (2006?) sonny rollins

not sure this is my top 10 but these are some i remember

Agalloch - The Mantle
Explosions In The Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
Metallica - S&M
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Dredg - El Cielo
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Sigur Ros - Takk...
In Flames - Clayman

These are albums that changed my look on music, and as a result changed me.