Top 10 Newer Albums of the Past Decade that have changed you.

Portishead - Third
Tortoise - TNT
Camel - The Snow goose/Moonmadness
Holden - Chevrotine/Fantomatisme
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing/In absentia
Mr. Bungle - California
Anathema - afine day to exit

Every one of this albums made me realise I didn't enjoy metal as much as I thought.

In chronological order, the albums that are watersheds in my musical evolution...

1. Millenium - Backstreet Boys

First album I ever owned. Before this, I didn't listen to or care about music at all.

2. Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygène 7 - 13

Release in 1997 puts it out of the last decade, but I listened to this album so many times, I had to include it, and besides, it's close enough to the decade. Off by only two years. This is the album that got me 'into' music, rather than just listening to it once in a while.

3. Evanescence - Fallen

First 'metal' album I ever owned. Got me into heavier music. This was my favorite album for a long time...

4. Dir en grey - Withering to death.

This is the album that showed me the legitimacy of the more aggressive vocal styles. Also launched me into a brief obsession with Japanese music, as well a still ongoing love of creative music. Machiavellism has an awesome guitar riff. Still one of my favorites.

5. Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

The first album I owned that could be considered progressive rock. Awakened my love of long songs, non-standard song structures, and concept albums.

6. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

While not my first P Tree album, this is the one that really sold me on the band that remains on of my favorites still. Also, this is the album that gave rise to my interest in audio engineering.

7. Opeth - Blackwater Park

My first Opeth album. First time I gave death vocals a shot. Gave me a serious appreciation for great guitar riffs. And, come on, it's Blackwater Park. I still remember the first time I heard Bleak............

8. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

The album that gave me a real sense of what the drums are capable of. It's because of this album that I took an interest in percussion.

9. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

The album that broke me of my 'black metal sucks' mindset, thus opening a whole new set of great bands to my enjoyment.

10. Exivious - s/t

Listening to this album really sparked my recent interest in jazz and jazz fusion, which has introduced me to a number of great jazz groups, and could lead me to be on the jazz ensemble at my college if I practice hard this summer. (which I am doing).

In biological order...

1. Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park)
2. Conspiracy of One (The Offspring) / Die For the Government (Anti-Flag)
3. Reroute to Remain (In Flames)
4. Cowboys From Hell (Pantera)
5. Follow the Reaper (Children of Bodom)
6. Blackwater Park (Opeth)
7. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (Dimmu Borgir)
8. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)*
9. In a Flesh Aquarium (Unexpect)
10. Dehors Novembre (Les Colocs')

1 I was young, my big brother had a CD and I didn't speak English but tried to sing alone still 2 When I started playing guitar, I tried songs from them and also listened a lot of Anti-Flag, 6th grade at school. 3 My big brother listened to few songs from them and really got me into them, I pretty much know every songs they made by heart, expect the new stuff. 4 I formed a little school-band with friends and we managed to play Pantera; we even did a little show I can remember, hope to find back the tapes. 5 I got into COB because (again) of my older brother. Found it strange at first but I really started to love it. But like everyone I just abused of it and now I'm fucking sick of it. 6 Then, of course, Opeth, that I discovered while jamming with the "school-band" when they played Demon of the Fall, still my favourite band. 7 One friend got me into black metal stuff, the one that surfaces the most is Dimmu Borgir, though I don't recently listened to them a lot. It got me a black-metal influence for my compositions. 8 I rediscovered my father's music with Pink Floyd and I really liked the nostalgy it gave me. 9 I'm starting to discover some brillant stuff in my region like that band that's getting rapidly bigger. They're touring with Opeth and DT soon, which is great (Europe errr). Amazing and fucked up music they play! Just genius. 10 And finally back to my roots with some French classics and a bit depressive stuff. I saw a movie about that and it inspired me a lot. That album is just great lyric and music wise. * Ignore Pink Floyd (and else I guess) for the last decade stuff.

Just wanna underline that I don't like 1 and 2 but I think they made me progress musicwise because before I listened to Eminem. I think I was 10 years old.

opeth - still life
opeth - blackwater park
tool - lateralus
porcupine tree - in absentia
ulver - perdition city
placebo - sleeping with ghosts
opeth - damnation
katatonia - last fair deal gone down
anathema - judgement
dredg - el cielo

there. all from the past 10 years

in the 80's:

Synchronicity/The Police = I was 11 and it literally saved me from listening to Latin rock, one of the trends of the 80's in my country (and continent)

Peter Gabriel/So = It introduced me to the avant garde rock. Soon I found out about Genesis, Yes and Progressive Rock.

Rush = Rush meant "music" to me.

Pink Floyd = My own Bible of psychedelic rock

Supertramp - Breakfast in America = I'm a mellow man just because of that LP'

Anthrax - State of euphoria = I wouldn't be as cursed and doomed as I am if I hadn't listened to it when it was released.

Dead can dance/Within the realm of a dying sun = Darkness in me finally surfaced!!

in the 90's

Faith no more/The Real Thing = I wanted to be Mike Patton; definitely I was the most unpopular guy on high school, cause i wasn't trendy at all

Alice in Chains/Dirt = I was old enough to booze and smoke weed XD so, I pretty much enjoyed that band and that album at ease.

Iron Maiden/Powerslave = The inventors of Heavy metal, I presumed when I was young, and even now.

Pearl Jam/Ten = It became aparrent that I HAD to learn how to play drums and guitar and to sing and play bass, man!

Dream Theater/Awake = I reunited with the old Progressive bands that I loved when I was a Child; I had acquaintance of King Crimson, Camel (My new bible of psychedelic rock and the undisputed roots of the progressive Rock), Kyuss, Kansas.

and yes...I thought it was "last" not "past" and you forced me to go back in time when i a was a fat shorty boy.

Atreyu - The Curse
* It's with this album that I began to like the growling stuff
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk/In the Nightside Eclipse
Anathema - Judgement
Sigur Ros - ( )
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
Gris - Il Était une Forêt...
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium

System of a down - Steal this album!

brought me into metal, and I still think it's good.

Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll

brought me into 'heavier' stuff

In Flames - Soundtrack to your escape

see above

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

Brought me into black metal and more 'epic' music

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

made me realise how much good and different kind of music there was out there, brought me into more 'progressive' stuff

Deathspell Omega - Fas...

'HOLY SHIT!'

Sunn O))) - Black One

Brought me into drone and ambient and 'dark' music

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

made me discover a music genre that inspired me very much

Boris - Flood

at first, the music wasn't so interesting, but more of the freedom of jumping from genre to genre between and in albums as you like, with nothing to bind you. This band has made a huge impact on me as a musician. Why so serious?

Converge - No heroes

chaos exists and it comes with excellent musicianship

Ok, so the 10 most important albums for me, which came on or after year 99?

Wintersun - Wintersun
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Mostly Autumn - The Spirit of Autumn Past
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Devin Townsend Project - Ki
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Disillusion - Back to the Times of Splendour

Wow, like 70% is metal, oh fuck!

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)