the mars volta

A was playing guitar one day for some people who were fans of the band. They told me that my style was much like that of the mars volta, so I found some of their music and after listening to it I was amazed at how similar it was to my shit ... well because I know the difference between abstract jamming and just pointless noise some of their music is kinda hard to listen to but other than that what a fucking awesome band.

I've only heard The Widow and L'via L'viaquez, and I like them both.

I heard This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed on Last.fm radio just a few minutes ago. It sounded interesting, and I liked it. I have to hear more ;P

I don't like the vocals at all. Reminds me too much of one of those whiny punkish hardcore-type bands. Vocals have to grow on you though, I guess....I'm very picky with vocals.

true, Mars Volta = progressive....cool band and Frances the Mute was definitely one of the best from 2005-

Personally I thought "Frances the Mute" was far superior to "Deloused..." and I think it's one of the best albums released in years. I loved the fact that they expand everything out to its full extent. I love the ambient sections and I don't think the album would be the same without them. I'm hoping to see them at the Big Day Out in Auckland in 2 weeks time (if I can pull the money together). I remember I saw them at BDO 2 years ago and it was a jawdropping experience. One of the best live performances I've seen for sure.

i used to not like cedric's voice at all...and it grew on me...until he became one of my favorite vocalists...and it continues to grow on me. for the high notes that he hits, his voice is very deep, and warm. when i compare his vocals now to his vocals in "at the drive in," i am amazed at how much his voice has changed...he must have practiced.

i saw them once when i still watched mtv for a couple of minutes in an awards show and didnt really like em, the front man was really crazy jumping arround the people and stuff, i diddnt liked the song either. matybe im missing something? what should i listen to so i can get a more constructive opinion?

oh, and their bass player is john alderete, Racer X's bass player and i love that band, specialy becaue paul gilbert is in it

wow... i actually have deloused... but ive never really listened to it. i have eriatarka on right now and im thinking im going to be listening to a lot omore of it in days to come... the vocals are a little whiny though:(

for me, getting used to cedric's vocals was overcoming the link between high pitched singing and emo/80s cheese...i have never been a fan of a band that had a very high pitched singer until i listened to the mars volta.

I actually prefer Frances to De-loused myself....both are great though - There's something about that L'Via (spanish title - forget the name) song....it's good for reasons I can not explain. The same goes for parts of Cygnus and I don't mind The Widow either (minus the 3 minutes of nothing thrown in as an outro).

Caeros said:
They're one of my favorite newer bands. I think Cedric's voice is one of their highlights, he puts a lot behind his performances.

i watched an at the drive in bootleg in which cedric was having a very personal/sexual moment with his microphone stand....he kept dancing with it, rubbing it on his crotch, and ended up passionately licking the mic.