the mars volta

I tell the story to everyone I know. As soon as they ask about black metal, I just give them the history of Mayhem and Emperor. Works a treat. Yeah they don't lknow whether to take me seriously or not.

:lol:, it is a fascinating history. One which, in our society now, is almost hard to believe. But lol at whether or not they know to take you seriously! God, some people just don't know when you're not being literal...

Hehehehe i get even more people trying to get me off metal after telling them all about it. They think the whole scene's like that nowadays. I find it difficult to keep a straight face when i see the expressions of disgust/disbelief. Bwahaha.

It's like the whole modern political correctness obsession. I mean, I can see why somebody would take offence if you said something that was just an outrightly offensive statement with no context, but to incorporate that kind of thing into humour has to be given some leway I think. People don't get that you can still be morally sound without pandering to political correctness all of the time. I mean, its a horrible series of events, the black metal legacy, but to automatically assume that you endorse that culture just because you told the story is just plain dumb!!!

Precisely. Because I listen to metal, I'm "angry". They don't even understand that most metal isn't just a release of hostility and anger. Pisses me off, but I guess I like it that they don't truly understand something I'm into...gives me a sense of power over them that they're wayyyy out of their depth when it comes to music discussion (ie they are into what the radio tells them they're into.)

Argh, I hate it when someone is trying to have an argument with me, and they have no basis for their point! It's just because so many other people have said it's good. How can people be that impressionable?!?!?!
But yeah, I guess i know what you mean. I like the fact that I know more about music (of pretty much any genre) than anyone I know personally. It's cool. Here, the fact that I like metal doesn't make me 'angry', it makes me either 'gay', 'goth' or 'weird' :lol:

Hahahahaha yeah I know. Like at the Nile gig in Sydney, we all walk out of The Gaelic Club (small venue) and there's like this police presence waiting to greet us. It's like "what's that? DISTORTION?! WTF! let's go! GO GO GO!"

"Huh, a group of more than 5 people wearing black shirts? CALLING ALL CARS, CALLING ALL CARS...!"

this thread rules.
its also an example of why we need an off-topic forum!

anthing past the first page has nothing to do with Mars Volta.

I wish that weren't true... but it is :erk:
What's funniest is that, of all musical genres (warning - STEREOTYPE ALERT), I would say metal fans are, at most, the 3rd most aggressive type, behind dance chavs and hip-hop 'thugs'. In fact, much lower than that, nearly all the metal fans I know are very nice, placid people :)

*edit* Braighs is right!! (lol, that's probably the first time on this thread that I've agreed with him!!! :lol: )

I think we're all right here.

Yeah most metalheads are the biggest appreciators of music you can find. Most quite placid. And I'd agree with your stereotype...although for once, it's a stereotype for good reason. I mean we, as metalheads, experience that type of music and it's effect on society whether we like it or not...most people never truly experience metal. They get as far as Korn or slipknot. need i say more<?

And it's a shame, because Korn suck, regardless of genre. If Korn were a folk band, they would suck. If Korn were a pop band, they would suck. If Korn were a hip-hop band, they would suck. They just suck. Especially Jonathan 'I couldn't sing in tune even if you fucking paid me the gross national product of the UK and gave me 7 million fucking takes' Davis....

Eurgh, hate Korn... :erk:

Me too...But in an alomst vain attempt to pull this all back on topic, because I feel a closure/ban coming up.....

Which Mars Volta album did everyone prefer?

This has nothing to do with Opeth...I don't know why I'm here....

...Hopefully.

Yeah like i posted before...Frances kick major ass, but there is too much ambience in between the sweet, sweet music....

I thought they had a good mix on De-loused...went a bit overboard with Frances, though.

SacredReich said:
Yeah like i posted before...Frances kick major ass, but there is too much ambience in between the sweet, sweet music....

And apparently their live shows are just as bad? They're playing here next week, and I was thinking of going, but I have prior commitments (like a plane ticket I paid 1800 for etc etc) for my cash..

Live is even worse.....i think cos most of it is impro. They seem to have an incredible live energy, though. I'd love to see them, but I need my money for Opeth, Carpathian Forest and Mayhem.

I was disappointed when I saw them live. Pretty much for the same reason I was disappointed with Frances. Too much bullshit between songs. So De-loused is obviously my favourite too.

Liquid Diamonds said:
I wish that weren't true... but it is :erk:
What's funniest is that, of all musical genres (warning - STEREOTYPE ALERT), I would say metal fans are, at most, the 3rd most aggressive type, behind dance chavs and hip-hop 'thugs'. In fact, much lower than that, nearly all the metal fans I know are very nice, placid people :)

*edit* Braighs is right!! (lol, that's probably the first time on this thread that I've agreed with him!!! :lol: )

i'd say that tr00 metal heads are the most close-minded music fans that exist. i'm talking about the ones who won't listen to it unless its 9208374092387bpm.

Yeah... I don't listen to anything other than death metal, progressive metal, and progressive rock. :erk:

On occasion I RARELY listen to techno and ambient crap, but that's like, when my blood sugar is really low. (I'm diabetic)

- the Somewhat Fat And Limited Guitarist