the mars volta

What the hell? I haven't even looked at this thread, but how the hell did it turn out to be talking about gay people?!? Weird. I'll give my 2 1907 high relief double eagles on the subject anyway.

Gayism: fine with me, can't find any problems with it. It may not be socially accepted, but neither is metal music. Think about it. I don't particularly like it when you get advances toward you, even if it's a joke, though... I'm not gay, and that's why. It's true though, it would be a great way to relieve overpopulation.

Well, Tubbs makes a good point. If you're not gay, why do yu give a flying fuck if anyone else is? I know that's not what he said exactly, but its a valid point he raised...

And I have no idea, I think it's cuz I took exception to the gay bashing :lol:

ok, points 2 and 3 are good. Point 2 is overshadowed by the way I disagree about point 1. All those stereotypes fuel my opinions, and those stereotypes don't pop out of nowhere. Have you seen the show "queer eye for the strait guy"? I watched it just to see if I could understand it. But they are constantly talking about stuff that is so damn shallow that I can't relate to ANYTHING.

and I used to feel the same way about prejudices, (and lord knows I don't want to start another argument here) but after a black man pulled a knife on me, I tend to watch myself more carefully around a gang of blacks. (I've never had a white guy assault me.) Don't get me wrong here, one of my best friends is black. Ok, I may not have the best "core sample" of whatever I am talking about, but I have reasons. I hate to think this way, but sometimes I can't help it. My prejudice is only based on experience.

Braighs said:
I hate to think this way, but sometimes I can't help it. My prejudice is only based on experience.

It's not really considered prejudice if its based on experience. Had you formed these views prior to experience, then you would be guilty of being prejudiced. it seems that you have been conditioned by experience.....unfortunate ones at that.

Confessor of Tragedy said:
It's not really considered prejudice if its based on experience. Had you formed these views prior to experience, then you would be guilty of being prejudiced. it seems that you have been conditioned by experience.....unfortunate ones at that.

how does one experience make your prejudice acceptable? How your prejiduce is formed is only based on stereotypes. Had it been a white person, would you be prejiduce against white people?

JoeVice said:
how does one experience make your prejudice acceptable? How your prejiduce is formed is only based on stereotypes. Had it been a white person, would you be prejiduce against white people?

Well, PREjudice would imply that he was always uncomfortable around black people, but from reading his post it seems that it is only since being attacked that he has a fear. Because it is AFTER an experience, it is no longer prejudice. it is a reaction to the circumstances around him. he said himself that he has friends that are black.

It's like when my friends kid touches the stove and pulls back his hand because its hot. people are like stoves....not every stove is turned on, and not every person is out to harm you. i think the analogy works,

JoeVice said:
how does one experience make your prejudice acceptable?
It was more than one experience...I won't go into detail here.
How your prejiduce is formed is only based on stereotypes.
Sometimes.
Had it been a white person, would you be prejiduce against white people?
Yes, most definitely, I thought you could infer that from my post. (I am part Eastern European, Nothern European, and Native American if you want some kind of reference here. To me, it is inconcequential.

Holy crap, this is the wrong forum for this discussion. PM please. I swear I'm not a nazi.:Spin: Like I said earlier, I have a good friend who is black. And I recently made an aquaintance with a black person who had similar tastes in music. I still "pre judge" a gang of blacks by avoiding them. OK? My experience has not made me close-minded, but I can't see how it couldn't have an effect on someone.:erk:

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok, Queer Eye is not an examle of the behavior of most gay men. Neither is Will and Grace, or any of that other shit.

HOMOPHOBIA IS GAY!!!!

I said I might not have the best core sample.
And fear of homos for me is only as bad as the fear of the unknown, which for me isn't much of a fear. I'll repeat "WRONG FORUM"...so private message if you feel you must continue.

Confessor of Tragedy said:
Well, PREjudice would imply that he was always uncomfortable around black people, but from reading his post it seems that it is only since being attacked that he has a fear. Because it is AFTER an experience, it is no longer prejudice. it is a reaction to the circumstances around him. he said himself that he has friends that are black.

LOL... so he's projudice?

I have a few friends that are gay. They look and act like a hetero would, they listen to prog (some of them like Opeth very much), and they are nice and intelligent people. I know some homosexual people that do resemble the queer eye/will & grace -type, but they are a minority amongst the minority... Remember that you can't tell who's gay by their appearance, I bet many of the people you know are gay but you just don't know it... The same goes for vegetarians/vegans, you form an opinion on them based on the people who show it, so you don't get the whole picture...

Did you know that Daniel Gildenlöw (for example) is a devoted vegetarian? I don't think a metalhead can't be a veggie, I know many people who are both.

Hope I got my views through.

^ I see what you mean. I'm only seeing the types that take it too far. (weird voice and all). Just finding a gay that I could agree with on other levels (such as music) would make me think much better of them. (But I don't go around asking people if they are gay.)

Pain of Salvation is one of my favorite bands, and yes, I knew he was a vegetarian. Vegetarianism doesn't bother me in the slightest (but neither does eating meat.) And I have mentioned earlier that I have a friends who are vegetarian. I joke with them sometimes, but I don't think less of them. Thanx for the insightful post. Peace!

Olllie said:
I love the Mars Volta. I think my favorite song by them is Son Et Lumiere+Inertiatic ESP. When it kicks in it sounds SO FUCKING COOL!

yes, that song friggin owns...a friend of mine has it burned onto windows media player, and it pauses when changing tracks...which completely fucking ruins it. i saw a live bootleg vid of that song where they completey changed that stair-stepping hemiola guitar riff. it sounded great. the mars volta does quirky stuff like that all of the time when they play live.

If a homosexual acquantance cracked on to me, I'd stab him to death in a park, then go to a party full of guys in BM bands and tell everyone about it, even if they didn't believe me. :D