Opeth and Free Jazz

Nice to see some guys into jazz here. I thought it's a bad word in an Opeth forum : P. I've been into jazz this last year, started playing jazz with my guitar and trombone..

:rolleyes:

He doesn't remember THAT solo 100%.
He doesn't improvise all the solos live! what are you talking about?
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD CLOSURE? HAVE YOU EVER LISTENED TO A LIVE VERSION OF A OPETH SONG?
Are you waiting for the drums transcription of that song in order to understand which elements lopez used?

Stop your ranting, and raving already, and learn to read. Do you understand what the Eastern Region encompasses? Listen to Mike he knows best. What he doesn't remember of any given solo he improvises, and he's not above doing so. You take things far to literally.

Dave Brubek Quartet. My favorite when it comes to Jazz.

QFT. Check this (classic) tune out. Now THAT's a drum-solo. Not your usual metal double-bass drumming, but every drummer should be able to confirm that a solo like that one is fucking hard to pull off...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOgYw5-pNs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOgYw5-pNs&feature=related[/ame]

Aaaahhh, the coolness. Those guys look like clerks or bankers, yet the music they play oozes coolness and style from every pore. It doesn't always have to be shredding. Sometimes (as we Opeth fans should know) feeling is worth more than speed...

Speaking of Miles Davis, has anyone heard his album "Aura"? Insane time signatures, bizarre harmonic sensibilities, an abrasive fusion-y feel that is borderline metal at times..... the first time I heard it I almost thought I'd put in a Meshuggah CD by mistake.

And how come no one's mentioned Al Di Meola?

Aura was good, though I wasn't really digging the cheesy eighties electric drums. But McLaughlin shreds so well on that album.

And I mentioned Return to Forever earlier and figured that covered Al Di Meola as well. I can't believe they are going back on tour together!

A little off-topic, but can anyone recommend any jazz to me? I haven't heard much, but I've liked what I've heard a lot.

i would listen to some Alan Holdsworth especially velvet darkness.

also maravisinu orchestra (hope i spelled that right) weather report and maybe some soft machine