Mikael's Jazz Influence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shemsu'Hor

May 9, 2007
WV, USA
Hello folks, I should probably start by introducing myself. My name is Michael(<--spelled the lamer way), I love all of Opeth's work(definitely not a giddy little fanboy though,lol). Anyway, I know Mikael incorporates some jazz into his guitar playing, and I was wondering if anyone knew just how deep into jazz his interest goes and what musicians in particular he likes(and of course you can tell me yourself if you see this Mike :cool: ). I'm a guitarist myself and am trying to explore some styles of playing other than metal.

Much appreciated,
Mike

i love how this other guy would rather spend his time writing a rude remark instead of answering your question since he so obviously knows the answer to.....anyways...i have wondered about the structure and simply his note choice...and im really not sure if he has any large jazz influences (although he may, im not really sure). but i think part of his brilliance is his chromatic use of notes that flow so well and then of course his chord choices are unique but tht can just be someone thinking outside of the box and experimenting with chords outside of major and minor (unlike many guitar players). the jazz is there but its deeply ingrained and may just be his unique thought process. but then again i may be completely wrong! i have definitely wondered myself though...

i love how this other guy would rather spend his time writing a rude remark instead of answering your question since he so obviously knows the answer to.....anyways...i have wondered about the structure and simply his note choice...and im really not sure if he has any large jazz influences (although he may, im not really sure). but i think part of his brilliance is his chromatic use of notes that flow so well and then of course his chord choices are unique but tht can just be someone thinking outside of the box and experimenting with chords outside of major and minor (unlike many guitar players). the jazz is there but its deeply ingrained and may just be his unique thought process. but then again i may be completely wrong! i have definitely wondered myself though...

I was going to say something but i dont remember. Oh yeah 915 postings v.s 1 post. Am I a jerk for saying that?

Newbies beware.

i love how i mentioned that i wondered myself and that it may possibly just be his writing style (which means he may have no jazz influence!). thanks for comprehending my post

Honestly, I don't see any jazz influence at all. The closest thing to it I hear is in Mike's blusier guitar stuff (Hours of Wealth, the end of Credence), and even that stuff is more classic rock inspired than anything jazz related, imho.

Honestly, I don't see any jazz influence at all. The closest thing to it I hear is in Mike's blusier guitar stuff (Hours of Wealth, the end of Credence), and even that stuff is more classic rock inspired than anything jazz related, imho.
Well said...blues over jazz.

lol if anyone posting in this thread weren't morons, you would all realize that mentioning opeth and "jazz influences" in the same sentences has been a running joke for a long time now. good lord

Well, I am sure that Mikael said he listenned to Wes Montgomery during the My Arms Your Hearse recording period and I read recently that Camel's guitarist Andy Latimer was a big George Benson fan.

I think that Michael clean sounding solos are very close to this smooth guitar jazz sound school .

But maybe the man could answer better himself about this subject.

Well thank you to those who actually had something constructive to say. For those of you who didn't, I see people like you on the internet every day, you're nothing special, stop acting like it.

Why is mentioning Opeth and jazz together a joke? I definitely hear some stuff in Mikael's guitar work that sounds similar to jazz, it may just be that his style sounds similar, I dunno. In an interview with FaceCulture in 2006, when Mikael was talking about collecting records he said he collected some free-form jazz stuff, I simply wanted to know for sure if he tries to make certain things sound jazzy or if that's just the way they come out.

lighten up dude. it's just a joke that resulted from an old thread back when Lopez left the band. it's a bit worn but hasn't really been referenced in forever but this thread brought it back to mind (hence saut's first reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.