New Mikael's blog post

Eh, Dream Theater fans are probably about as bad to be fair but that's so true. And lol @ Opeth being "intellectual metal" - when did all good music receive the tag "intellectual" just for sounding good? Also, Katatonia fans annoy the shit out of me recently but they're not pretentious as much as they're completely gay for Jonas Renske like a 5 year old is gay for the Jonas Brothers.

intellectual as in its deep, complex, and lyrical. it has nothing to do with the quality of the music per se, take Dream Theater for example, yeah i think they sound good and they're pretty technical, but i wouldn't call them intellectual in the same way i referred to Opeth, or at all, really.

is Dream Theater not progressive? often hailed as the "godfathers of progressive metal" i actually said Dream Theater is not intellectual. intellectual means that it incites deep use of the brain, which Opeth's music does. Mikael's lyrics and melodies make me think; when i listen to their stuff, i can sit and muse on it because of the deep meanings within the art. that is why it is intellectual, not because it "sounds good" or is "progressive"

Edit/p.s. the same pretty much goes for Tool; i just thought i'd clarify

It's a big difference between Lamb of god and Opeth, as Lamb of God has become the new Slipknot.

I couldn not imagining any other band for Opeth to open for in succes other than TooL. the rest of them should open for Opeth, the second greatest live-band of all times :kickass:

Yeah, the point I was making is that Metallica has had openers that don't sound anything like them.

Another thing I thought of was maybe a new Gigantour? Maybe Megadeth asked Opeth to support them again this year. There hasn't been any talk about a 2009 tour yet though, so its a possibility.

Oh and the whole "intellectual" thing is bullshit. Just because the music is complex doesn't make it intellectual. Intellectual shouldn't even be an adjective to describe music, it doesn't even make sense.

is Dream Theater not progressive? often hailed as the "godfathers of progressive metal" i actually said Dream Theater is not intellectual. intellectual means that it incites deep use of the brain, which Opeth's music does. Mikael's lyrics and melodies make me think; when i listen to their stuff, i can sit and muse on it because of the deep meanings within the art. that is why it is intellectual, not because it "sounds good" or is "progressive"

Edit/p.s. the same pretty much goes for Tool; i just thought i'd clarify

BUT opeth are progressive AND intellectual! i think we opethfans are some of the smartest music fans and we have wide tastes, everything from metal to classical (which im really quite knowledgeable about now, finally!!!)

well, i don't know if we're the smartest hahaha (i hope that part was sarcastic), but we do tend to have wide tastes (or at least say we do, going back to the annoying, pretentious fans)

There is nothing deep about Opeth's lyrics - they are about simple things like relationships or depression. Sometimes they're vague as fuck so you have to think simply to decipher them, but that doesn't make them intellectual. If you want some intellectual metal go listen to Tool or DsO.

There is nothing deep about Opeth's lyrics - they are about simple things like relationships or depression. Sometimes they're vague as fuck so you have to think simply to decipher them, but that doesn't make them intellectual. If you want some intellectual metal go listen to Tool or DsO.

Please define deepness, because as far as I know there is no consensus on what deep refers to exactly so people can interpret differently. Other than that I agree with your comment.

Ok so maybe Opeth's lyrics can be deep by some definitions. But yea, most people agree that intellectual metal has various criteria and singing about relationships like every gothic metal act or death like death/doom acts doesn't exactly qualify.

I would be incredibly annoyed if it's Metallica.

The only good thing about them "opening" for that band is that I could get in and out. Don't really care about ticket prices since I don't put a limit on what I'd pay to see this band.

Now Megadeth and Opeth on the other hand would be fantastic (especially without LOG fucking it up this time).

wtf.
dont you think there is some serious art dealing with depression and relationships??
the topic itself never is a criteria!
so please: try again....

There is nothing deep about Opeth's lyrics - they are about simple things like relationships or depression. Sometimes they're vague as fuck so you have to think simply to decipher them, but that doesn't make them intellectual.

And sometimes they are about one of those times where you meet with a friend to have some coffee, and have a deep conversation, and by the time you finish the conversation you're no longer friends.

If you want some intellectual metal go listen to Tool or DsO.

Oooh, look at me, I'm listening to Tool, I'm soooo deep and intellectual! :D

I don't care if the lyrics themselves are "intellectual" or not (whatever the hell that is) as long as I feel that they are genuine representation of the writer's whatever. Even if they're straightforward as fuck and are dealing with topics already beaten to death. I do feel so with Mike's lyrics.

Another good band in that respect to me is Enchant. I love how they can take any topic from the everyday human life and turn it into a pretty good song lyrically.

That being said, I don't listen to a particular music to feel holier than thou much as I don't read books so I can throw it into other people's faces.