Mikael's Jazz Influence

Status
Not open for further replies.
troll...and a lame one at that.

No, actually Don, you're the lame one:Smug: . I'm saying an opinion that I actually believe. If you can't comprehend that, then that's all right. I'm saying jazz has the complexity of a tonka truck and anyone who tries to say that it requires anything more than elementary level skills is lying. Yeah maybe it's "cool" to like jazz, but it sure doesn't make you smart. 99.9 percent of jazz fans are the ones who don't know what they're talking about. Isn't there a reason that jazz died out 50 years ago or whatever:rolleyes: ? And what the heck is a troll?

oh and here's a troll:

troll.jpg

He's just winding you up guys! I certainly hope....

I wouldn't put myself or any other metal musician in the same sentence as Miles Davis. And I'm not the biggest jazz fan out there. I just have a tremendous amount of respect for his musican legacy. I've seen documentaries on him and have maybe a third of all his albums. I prefer the softer early 60´s albums to the craziness of "Bitches brew". That's too complex for me and freeform jazz I sometimes find downright tedious. My main interest in jazz music comes from guitarplayers such as Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt (well, jazz...whatever it is). I prefer the softer style with strong melodies and great solos rather than freeform.

One of my favourite albums of all time is a jazz record: Jan Johansson - Jazz på Svenska. An obligatory record in my opinion.

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6170864 said:

I wouldn't put myself or any other metal musician in the same sentence as Miles Davis. And I'm not the biggest jazz fan out there. I just have a tremendous amount of respect for his musican legacy. I've seen documentaries on him and have maybe a third of all his albums. I prefer the softer early 60´s albums to the craziness of "Bitches brew". That's too complex for me and freeform jazz I sometimes find downright tedious. My main interest in jazz music comes from guitarplayers such as Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt (well, jazz...whatever it is). I prefer the softer style with strong melodies and great solos rather than freeform.

One of my favourite albums of all time is a jazz record: Jan Johansson - Jazz på Svenska. An obligatory record in my opinion.

Cheers

Mike

This is soon to be the only jazz record in every Opeth fans collection. :lol:

Cheers
Mike

I'm glad you replied Mike, maybe it'll keep some of the stupidity outta this thread. The melodies are the only reason I listen to jazz, if I wanna hear fast, technical shit I'll listen to Yngwie,hehe. I love Django Reinhardt and the whole gypsy jazz thing. Never heard any of Jan Johansson's stuff, I'll have to check it out now.

Later,
Mike

Some Amazing guitar players (jazz not fusion a la McLaughlin, Holdsworth but these two guys are alien musicians IMO) :

Before, I think there was Charlie Christian but I never realy heard him play.

Wes Montgomery : The Godfather
George Benson : The Apprentice (don't be fooled by his pop carrer the guy is an exceptionnal guitar player, true virtuoso and what a SOUND he has)
Kenny Burrell
Pat Metheny (he covered a lot of styles but he knows his Montgomery Bible, he learned how to play with Montgomery albums FYI) : his first disc with Pastorious is a classic.
Joe Pass
Jim Hall

The post modern jazz fusion triumvirat :

John Schofield
Mike Stern
Pat Metheny

Recent Fusion:

The N'Sync Guitarist :Greg Howe : A furious Holdsworth

And If you want to hear Django with a better sound, a cleaner playing in a modern virusoso way :

Check Out

The one and only :

Biréli Lagrène

the guy could play all Django in his teens, he did Live at Montreux at 13 years old and he is one of the most gifted musicians on this planet.

And I'm not the biggest jazz fan out there...and freeform jazz I sometimes find downright tedious.

See! Mike thinks jazz is boring too! Having respect for someone and liking their music is two different things. I have RESPECT for Limp Bizkit, but I don't like their music. I have (some) respect for Frank Crappa, but I wouldn't come within five feet of his nonsense. I have RESPECT for Emperor, but their music bores me to death. I mean, I can somewhat respect the people who make jazz, because usually they can shred up their instruments, but the only times I listen to Miles Davis or whoever is when I'm on an elevator. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Just keep shitting on musical geniuses like Miles Davis and showing more respect to Limp Bizkit than Frank Zappa (another musical genius). It's better for everyone to get a crystal clear understanding as to how much of an idiot you really are.

I'm not an idiot, I just have opinions. The right opinions.... seriously though, why are people all offended? I doesn't seem like Opeth fans would be fans of... jazz music. Whatever, to each his own.

Burning Sky, I'm not "crapping on" Miles Davis, I'm just saying he makes boring music. No personal remarks or saying that he's a bad musician, he just seems like an average player. I've heard much more complex music from other bands. I don't understand how "random notes" is confused with "genius"...

Oh yeah, calling Frank Zappa a "musical genius" is preposterous....He get's on stage and tells jokes. I've heard Frank Zappa songs from my friends I-Pod, and they were deffinity nothing special. It sounded like he picked up a guitar, thew together some notes and had some horns and said "play whatever you want". Again, just my opinion.

well, here's the thing - you saying Zappa is using "random notes" is akin to me walking into a nuclear reactor and proclaiming, "Well, this whole thing is WIRED WRONG!" See, I'm not a nuclear engineer - why would I try to tell people anything about a nuclear power plant?

You obviously know nothing about music, so please don't try to say that Miles Davis "isn't on the technical level of mastodon." That's ridiculous. It's cool to not like a genre of music - I can't fucking stand rap music. Just don't bash it for reasons you can't grasp.

I HATE rap music, and I would certainly hope that NO ONE here likes (c)rap music... I will atleast say that rap is certainly worse than jazz, but not by alot. Rap and jazz are almost the same, both have some beat behind it with a soloist (rapper/horn player) saying stupid stuff / playing random stuff. I guess I just don't understand why someone would want to sit there and listen to either of them. I do have a certain understanding of music, I've been listening to it for a loooong time. My CD collection ranges from Opeth to Dimmu Borgir to Iron Maiden to Black Sabbath and so on, and I even have stuff like Aphex Twin, (hed) PE, Snot and Tool (honestly now, are you going to try to tell me that Miles Davis or any other jazzer is more complex than Tool?!?!?) ... so it's not like I just ONLY like death metal or anything. If someone wants to tell me a song that has Miles Davis playing fast as heck then I'll listen to it. I think of old people sitting on an elevator when I think of jazz...

(honestly now, are you going to try to tell me that Miles Davis or any other jazzer is more complex than Tool?!?!?)

you've got some jazz influences on your chin. it might be from the akercocke.

Status
Not open for further replies.