Does anyone out there think that opeth is over-rated?

Hellvomits

Remember my Member
Jul 2, 2003
Fucking WisconsSIN
I truely cannot understand why opeth is constantly getting praised. It is as if they can do no wrong. Is Metal getting soft or what?

I don't mean to disrepsect any of opeth's Fans, or even the band themselves, however I just can't understand the opeth boom thats going on lately.

I have heard everything up to "Deliverance", and it seems that every release gets lighter and lighter. Many people refer to opeth as "Death-Prog", and to quote Dave Mustaine those are "Two words combined that can't make sense".

What I really can't understand is, opeth's latest effort, "Damnation". I realize that it was the band's intention to put out a Mellow album, but If opeth fans would have heard something like that on the radio or whatever, I'm sure most would have said "change the channel, I don't like smooth Jazz" But since it is an opeth release most all fan's I have spoken with love the album.

It is an annoying paradox.

NO FREAKIN' WAY

Do I think you're insane for asking this question and even posting this on a board that's obviously full of hard-core Opeth fans??

Yes.

I think opeth are good but i dont see why all the hype lately ... maybe its because they have a very distinctive stile ... or maybe they got a good promotion ...

And you cant take anything Dave Mustaine says seriously ...

inflamer said:
I think opeth are good but i dont see why all the hype lately ... maybe its because they have a very distinctive stile ... or maybe they got a good promotion ...

And you cant take anything Dave Mustaine says seriously ...

Okay I just have one (more) thing to say. I understand why the poster is asking this question, but I don't understand why he thought asking it here would be a good idea. No disrespect to him either.
Anyway,

We were all fans before this "hype," and it's no surprise that all of it will bring more critics, but WE didn't write the freakin' reviews and everything. We didn't push the journalists to publish their articles, so it's kind of pointless to ask us what all the "hype" is about. We didn't need it to get into Opeth. We aren't solely praising Deliverance and Damnation.

If you don't like the attention they're getting, sorry, but you don't have to read it or listen to the music.

Anyone who would think Damnation is "soft jazz" in the first place is a moron, how you came up with the analogy i'd rather not know. It sounds nothing like jazz soft or otherwise, but you don't seem to even know what jazz is to begin with. Now if you had actually heard some of the bands, like Camel and other 70's prog bands (for you think Rush ok?), you might understand where the album was coming from. If you had heard Porcupine Tree you might understand much of the influence that steve wilson had on it, and if you really understood Opeth and good music you would find that it is a very good record...because it is a lot deeper then "soft jazz".

Your ignorance does not qualify the band as overrated.

So what is all the hype about...maybe just that Opeth is THAT good. Maybe because a death metal band released a prog rock album and a lot of people figured out they wern't just death metal. With all the crap on mainstream radio and even in the metal scene I don't understand why anyone would be suprised by Opeth's success or the hype around them.

Opeth gets praised on this board because there are many fans around here. It's stupid to say a band is over-rated only because you don't like their music as much as others do.
of course there's some sort of cult. but to me that's just due to their uniqueness (?) ;) ..and if there's a band that needs to get hyped, that would be Opeth. they are poor men :(

Also, I never said I didn't like the Band. I remember when Orchid came out. I still own that album and enjoy it. However there are thousands of other bands out there working just as hard and harder, and they get no credit or respect.

My main problem with todays bands and fans is that most bands only care about production, and most fans are "production snobs". I have heard many opeth fans rave about the production, but not say too much about the music. It is as if people won't let themselves just enjoy the music anymore. I would listen too tunes out of a fucking 2 inch speaker if that was all that was available. production is not the most important thing, Atmosphere is what makes you want to listen to the same album constantly.

Many of you are pissed off simply because I posed a question, you probably think I am narrow minded because I don't like YOUR favorite band as much as YOU do. Think about that for a second.

Opeth over-rated? Look at all those other bands out today; black metal bands today, although they are really "heavy," not "soft," are releasing the same generic crap over and over again. Although there are a few exceptions, these exceptions are very subtle.

The first few times i heard Opeth and all their albums, i did not think much of them at all. But then i paid attention to their song structures and their many different styles incorporated into their music. Its hard grasping songs that are 10+ minutes, but give it a few more listens and you will understand.
For some reason, Tool comes to mind when i hear over-rated. Dont get me wrong, they are a great band, but people seem to think that they are completely "original" and "genius" to the point where it starts getting sad.

What is your definition of over-rated anyway?

I don't care much about production. I really like the raw sound on Orchid and Morningrise. I wonder how BWP would sound like if it were produced in that fashion

Hellvomits said:
Also, I never said I didn't like the Band. I remember when Orchid came out. I still own that album and enjoy it. However there are thousands of other bands out there working just as hard and harder, and they get no credit or respect.
Agreed.

Hellvomits said:
My main problem with todays bands and fans is that most bands only care about production, and most fans are "production snobs". I have heard many opeth fans rave about the production, but not say too much about the music. It is as if people won't let themselves just enjoy the music anymore. I would listen too tunes out of a fucking 2 inch speaker if that was all that was available. production is not the most important thing, Atmosphere is what makes you want to listen to the same album constantly.
Since when has Opeth been about production? I could care less about if it is a well produced album, and i am sure many people here agree that opeths earlier albums (the more cheaply produced albums) incredible.

Hellvomits said:
Many of you are pissed off simply because I posed a question, you probably think I am narrow minded because I don't like YOUR favorite band as much as YOU do. Think about that for a second.
No. In my opinion, music is subjective. I wouldn't even dare calling the rap genre crappy (except for eminem of course) because i do not understand where these guys come from and what motivates them into listening to that music. If Opeth doesnt click with you, thats fine. But if someone goes around and starts saying that "Opeth isn't heavy anymore = crappy music bla bla bla" THEN i would consider that person completely ignorant and blind to the subjectivity of music.

Hellvomits said:
Too Hilarious! You need to calm down. You are a good comedian.

Okay, every thread of respect I had for you (which was very small to begin with) is now completely gone. But it's not because of this immature remark as much as it is this:

Gimme a break....This is hilarious!! Boo-Hoo. Ha! Great.

You want to be taken seriously? Then grow up.

you probably think I am narrow minded because I don't like YOUR favorite band as much as YOU do. Think about that for a second.

No, this thought never entered my mind.

My advice is that you either stop trying to instigate pointless and endless arguments or leave the forum.

Most of these bad ass euro-metal bands I came across were by accident, especially Opeth. So I didn't know of any "hype" or "buzz" on this band.
So what? they deserve the hype they are that good!