Does anyone out there think that opeth is over-rated?

Oyo said:
Opeth is becoming horribly over-rated, especially on this forum.

Deliverance and Damnation were nothing special, at all. A fair judgment is a CRAPPY SONG, realise this.

i dont think so.

Yes, they are over-rated.

And the new league of Opeth fans make me laugh in their pure blindness. Keep it up.

Smitty said:
Dave is a fucking washed up, James Hetfield worshiping, POSER.

No way, Mustaine fucking owns Hetfield...and from all the interviews I've read with him hes also alot more honest and also funny. It was fucking great reading him saying 'yeah it was probably a dumb idea, we fucked up' about Risk. :tickled: Hes a bit arrogant, but very honest, and I respect him.

Hellvomits said:
I truely cannot understand why opeth is constantly getting praised. It is as if they can do no wrong. Is Metal getting soft or what?

I don't mean to disrepsect any of opeth's Fans, or even the band themselves, however I just can't understand the opeth boom thats going on lately.

I have heard everything up to "Deliverance", and it seems that every release gets lighter and lighter. Many people refer to opeth as "Death-Prog", and to quote Dave Mustaine those are "Two words combined that can't make sense".

What I really can't understand is, opeth's latest effort, "Damnation". I realize that it was the band's intention to put out a Mellow album, but If opeth fans would have heard something like that on the radio or whatever, I'm sure most would have said "change the channel, I don't like smooth Jazz" But since it is an opeth release most all fan's I have spoken with love the album.

It is an annoying paradox.

((peruses over comment))
Ok here goes nothing.

I can quote you as saying "I have heard everything up to Deliverance and it seem sthat every release gets lighter and lighter. Well with the exception of Damnation I'd have to disagree. Now I know there have been many interpretations of what "heavy" actually means when applied to music. I've always been taught that it meant having more defined bottom range to the music. I guess you could use the songs Master of Puppets and Minus Human for example. I have been open to the idea that while MOP may be "heavier" in the manner of the way the music moves you however, what's been drilled in my head is the notion that Minus Human is heavier because it is in a lower tuning and having defined lower ends....as in the guitar, vocals, etc.
When I look at the Opeth catalogue I can say that MAYH is heavier than both Orchid and Morningrise. Still Life is a bit more subdued but yet retains some really "heavy" riffs. Blackwater Park seems to be a bit heavier than Still Life but not quite as heavy as MAYH. Then you have Deliverance which as heavy if not heavier than MAYH. You can apply boundaries to the term heavy and approach the matter somewhat analytically or you can just deem things "heavy" according to personal preferance and throw all logic out of the fucking window. Honestly I could give a damn what you do. Personally I'm a pick and choose type of person. I think there are certain songs on each album that are just heavy or even evil feeling that really appeal to me. Hell even on Damnation I find some tracks to really have their darker moments. But enough about ranting on the "heaviness" of Opeth. Most of what I wrote was just to assess my own thoughs on the issue. I'd just like to say that I personally don'tfind Opeth to be over-rated but then again you'll always find somebody out there who disagrees with you so oh well.

As for the remarks you made about Damnation. Personally, I am a fan of many different genres of music. I'm absolutely fanatical about Eric Johnson and if any of you are familiar with him he is somewhat of a polar oposite of to my metal taste. To quote on of my teachers,"if it sounds bad it is bad." I think Damnation sounds pretty damn good. It appeals to my non-metal taste. It's my least favorite release by the band but I still think it is a solid release. Hell, Damnation isn't even a metal album. Anyone who says differently is lying to themself. I'm sure there are those times when some of us have had trouble when refuting "the greatness of Opeth" but I honestly feel that a majority of the fans of this band know when to draw the line when it comes to simply liking great music and being a mindless sheep.

So to sum things up for the people who don't want to take the time to read my drivel. No, I don't think Opeth is over-rated. They're the best band in metal that "I've" heard.

Hellvomits said:
Also, I never said I didn't like the Band. I remember when Orchid came out. I still own that album and enjoy it. However there are thousands of other bands out there working just as hard and harder, and they get no credit or respect.

That's just the way the business is. Hell it's life. I think Opeth deserve all the blessings that they have received. I think they've earned it. As much as some people want to bash Deliverance and Damnation I would really hope hope that they take into consideration the recording conditions in which both albums were recorded. To have to deal with such crap and make two respectable albums entitles them to my respect.

Hellvomits said:
My main problem with todays bands and fans is that most bands only care about production, and most fans are "production snobs". I have heard many opeth fans rave about the production, but not say too much about the music. It is as if people won't let themselves just enjoy the music anymore. I would listen too tunes out of a fucking 2 inch speaker if that was all that was available. production is not the most important thing, Atmosphere is what makes you want to listen to the same album constantly.

Ok I'll go ahead and and admit that I am biased towards good production. I love a polished album. However, I would like to share with you a bit of knowledge that I have picked up. "You can't polish a turd!!" I'll take the grittier sounding MAYH/Morningrise/Orchid over a polished up pile of trash. The quality of the music is what comes first. Good production can just make a good thing even better.

Hellvomits said:
Many of you are pissed off simply because I posed a question, you probably think I am narrow minded because I don't like YOUR favorite band as much as YOU do. Think about that for a second.

Um actually no. I've tried to take a stance of neutrality when it comes addressing your comments. Sure some will take offence just because they are ignorant sheep or just didn't take the time to read all of what you had to say and pass judgement. So since you said "many" and not all I have nothing negative to say against you. However, I would like to just toss out my opinion. I believe that many of the people on this forum are intelligent enough to not make mountains out of mole hills and will approach the topic with an aire of respect and wisdom.

Hellvomits said:
Also, I never said I didn't like the Band. I remember when Orchid came out. I still own that album and enjoy it. However there are thousands of other bands out there working just as hard and harder, and they get no credit or respect.

My main problem with todays bands and fans is that most bands only care about production, and most fans are "production snobs". I have heard many opeth fans rave about the production, but not say too much about the music. It is as if people won't let themselves just enjoy the music anymore. I would listen too tunes out of a fucking 2 inch speaker if that was all that was available. production is not the most important thing, Atmosphere is what makes you want to listen to the same album constantly.

Many of you are pissed off simply because I posed a question, you probably think I am narrow minded because I don't like YOUR favorite band as much as YOU do. Think about that for a second.

In response, I don't give a fuck who likes the music I like, or if the band I like is over or underrated. It's all just personal opinions anyway...I will listen to something because I want to listen to it.

Opeth is constantly getting praised because they are consistantly doing good things to please their fans. No, Metal is not getting softer, maybe you are listening to the wrong bands. Just because a few bands (Metallica and In Flames are two) have become softer in their old age doesnt mean that the genre is changing. Just because Opeth released 70's Progressive Rock album doesn't mean that every Death Metal band will become soft. Opeth does not have a lot of fans because they promote themselves well. Opeth gets 0 promotion in the US and I am sure that is the same everywhere else in the world. They have a lot of fans because they are a good band (not the best for everyone) that people relate to. When you are a good band, then you will want to show your friends the band too... Opeth gets a lot of recognition in the underground metal scene because they are something different. They are a different sound, but still retain the heaviness that we all love. Opeth gets the respect when other bands don't because they are generally well-known in the underground world. Its easier to give credit to a band that is on the top of Black Metal world with a few other bands. Damnation was an attempt to release Opeth to the world (it seems that Mikael's attempt failed). Damnation was soft, something that Mikael has been wanting to do for years. Opeth is so experimental because they don't give a fuck what people think fo their music. :p Opeth gets credit, but it is credit that they deserve. They continuously release albums that quench our thirst.

Dreamlord said:
Yes, they are over-rated.

And the new league of Opeth fans make me laugh in their pure blindness. Keep it up.

Heh i havent seen you post anything about bands in a while. Let me ask you something: have you ever made a positive remark about ANY band without making any "however...," "but...," or any other negative critisisms about the band? You often portray yourself as a musical genius or as someone who has made better music than any band in the world...

I think the crucial reason why Opeth seems to be experiencing almost universal acclaim right now is that ultimately, they are a great, unique band, with an uncanny ability to synthesise seemingly disparate genre's into their music - something which I, as a musician, appreciate immensely. The key here is dynamism - what is great about the band is that, much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I guess there is a reason why this forum consistenly has the most people logged in at one time. Opeth have struggled for so many years to make an impact, and quite frankly I think they deserve every bit of acclaim they get - I don't think any other band has consistently released such strong material throughout their careers.

Other bands generally seem to have their fifteen minutes, then tend to get down to the business of making money - with the end result usually along the lines of excessive touring, folowed by releasing a series of mediocre albums (Reroute to Remain, anyone?). As a point in fact, I remember a few years back In Flames was getting a hell of a lot of attention in the media - to be sure, they were a really good band with something unique to offer the melodic death genre, but that is all over now. Sure, they do big tours, but they haven't really released anything really noteworthy since Colony, for Christ's sake! Anyway, tangents aside, this is IMO a common trend among bands, and not those necessarily confined to this particular genre. The problem lies in the fact that there seems to be significant historical evidence to suggest that there is a causal link between receiving significant attention in the media, and what can only be described as creative decline.

The point of this diatribe is that Opeth has been defying this rule, and I think many fans appreciate that. Sure, people may argue that the Deliverance/Damnation albums aren't as great as Morningrise, or BWP, but I don't think anyone could seriously argue against the position that both albums represent, in one way or another a leap forward in what Opeth are trying to achieve as musicians. To illustrate my point: Who among the longtime Opeth fans here could really anticipate Opeth releasing album's like Deliverance and Damnation five years ago? The last three minutes of the title track are a great example - that was something that I would have never expected from them, and is a stark example of their ability to synthesise certain elements into their songs which many fans would consider anathema to the Opeth sound, while still retaining their fundamental uniqueness as a band. And as for Damnation (how many of us have gotten into different genre's of music as a result of listening to Opeth), my respect goes out to them just for having the balls to do that; they have received their share of flak for it, but they generally don't seem to care. At least I think the majority of fans who listen to this band are generally open minded; something which most fans of extreme metal genrally lack. In point of fact, I can't think of another type of music in which fans consistenly isolate themselves from new musical experiences on the basis of not being heavy, brutal or evil.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I think that every other band should realise they are pond-scum, and prostrate themselves at the foot of the holy shrine of Opeth.

Wayfaerer

Reactions: jester00
Wayfaerer666 said:
I think the crucial reason why Opeth seems to be experiencing almost universal acclaim right now is that ultimately, they are a great, unique band, with an uncanny ability to synthesise seemingly disparate genre's into their music - something which I, as a musician, appreciate immensely. The key here is dynamism - what is great about the band is that, much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I guess there is a reason why this forum consistenly has the most people logged in at one time. Opeth have struggled for so many years to make an impact, and quite frankly I think they deserve every bit of acclaim they get - I don't think any other band has consistently released such strong material throughout their careers.

Other bands generally seem to have their fifteen minutes, then tend to get down to the business of making money - with the end result usually along the lines of excessive touring, folowed by releasing a series of mediocre albums (Reroute to Remain, anyone?). As a point in fact, I remember a few years back In Flames was getting a hell of a lot of attention in the media - to be sure, they were a really good band with something unique to offer the melodic death genre, but that is all over now. Sure, they do big tours, but they haven't really released anything really noteworthy since Colony, for Christ's sake! Anyway, tangents aside, this is IMO a common trend among bands, and not those necessarily confined to this particular genre. The problem lies in the fact that there seems to be significant historical evidence to suggest that there is a causal link between receiving significant attention in the media, and what can only be described as creative decline.

The point of this diatribe is that Opeth has been defying this rule, and I think many fans appreciate that. Sure, people may argue that the Deliverance/Damnation albums aren't as great as Morningrise, or BWP, but I don't think anyone could seriously argue against the position that both albums represent, in one way or another a leap forward in what Opeth are trying to achieve as musicians. To illustrate my point: Who among the longtime Opeth fans here could really anticipate Opeth releasing album's like Deliverance and Damnation five years ago? The last three minutes of the title track are a great example - that was something that I would have never expected from them, and is a stark example of their ability to synthesise certain elements into their songs which many fans would consider anathema to the Opeth sound, while still retaining their fundamental uniqueness as a band. And as for Damnation (how many of us have gotten into different genre's of music as a result of listening to Opeth), my respect goes out to them just for having the balls to do that; they have received their share of flak for it, but they generally don't seem to care. At least I think the majority of fans who listen to this band are generally open minded; something which most fans of extreme metal genrally lack. In point of fact, I can't think of another type of music in which fans consistenly isolate themselves from new musical experiences on the basis of not being heavy, brutal or evil.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I think that every other band should realise they are pond-scum, and prostrate themselves at the foot of the holy shrine of Opeth.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer, you're absolutely right my friend.