Does anyone out there think that opeth is over-rated?

Wayfaerer666 said:
I think the crucial reason why Opeth seems to be experiencing almost universal acclaim right now is that ultimately, they are a great, unique band, with an uncanny ability to synthesise seemingly disparate genre's into their music - something which I, as a musician, appreciate immensely. The key here is dynamism - what is great about the band is that, much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I guess there is a reason why this forum consistenly has the most people logged in at one time. Opeth have struggled for so many years to make an impact, and quite frankly I think they deserve every bit of acclaim they get - I don't think any other band has consistently released such strong material throughout their careers.

Other bands generally seem to have their fifteen minutes, then tend to get down to the business of making money - with the end result usually along the lines of excessive touring, folowed by releasing a series of mediocre albums (Reroute to Remain, anyone?). As a point in fact, I remember a few years back In Flames was getting a hell of a lot of attention in the media - to be sure, they were a really good band with something unique to offer the melodic death genre, but that is all over now. Sure, they do big tours, but they haven't really released anything really noteworthy since Colony, for Christ's sake! Anyway, tangents aside, this is IMO a common trend among bands, and not those necessarily confined to this particular genre. The problem lies in the fact that there seems to be significant historical evidence to suggest that there is a causal link between receiving significant attention in the media, and what can only be described as creative decline.

The point of this diatribe is that Opeth has been defying this rule, and I think many fans appreciate that. Sure, people may argue that the Deliverance/Damnation albums aren't as great as Morningrise, or BWP, but I don't think anyone could seriously argue against the position that both albums represent, in one way or another a leap forward in what Opeth are trying to achieve as musicians. To illustrate my point: Who among the longtime Opeth fans here could really anticipate Opeth releasing album's like Deliverance and Damnation five years ago? The last three minutes of the title track are a great example - that was something that I would have never expected from them, and is a stark example of their ability to synthesise certain elements into their songs which many fans would consider anathema to the Opeth sound, while still retaining their fundamental uniqueness as a band. And as for Damnation (how many of us have gotten into different genre's of music as a result of listening to Opeth), my respect goes out to them just for having the balls to do that; they have received their share of flak for it, but they generally don't seem to care. At least I think the majority of fans who listen to this band are generally open minded; something which most fans of extreme metal genrally lack. In point of fact, I can't think of another type of music in which fans consistenly isolate themselves from new musical experiences on the basis of not being heavy, brutal or evil.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I think that every other band should realise they are pond-scum, and prostrate themselves at the foot of the holy shrine of Opeth.

Wayfaerer

That is exactly the way I feel. Dynamics are what make Opeth great. Too many DM and BM bands sound the same but I love technical performances! That and its emotion are the reason I enjoy the music. I also like progressive for their awesome technicality! I think if Opeth had to fall into a group it would have to be 70's progressive. I'm a massive fan of that truly genuine era of music and Opeth always give me the same feelings of awe and wonder. And no other band has consistently put out music that I just loved. Every album and every single song. Absolutely divine!

KielbasaSausage said:
Heh i havent seen you post anything about bands in a while. Let me ask you something: have you ever made a positive remark about ANY band without making any "however...," "but...," or any other negative critisisms about the band? You often portray yourself as a musical genius or as someone who has made better music than any band in the world...

I'll tell you the truth, this response totally baffled me. I will try to retort.

I haven't posted as much on UM as I used to due to other, more important issues, but I do try to make my opinion heard, whether it is warranted or not and whether it will be agreed with or not.

Yes, of course I've made positive remarks about bands. But I firmly believe no band or album is above criticism. There are no perfect albums or perfect bands. They simply do not exist. For proof of my positive comments, click on the forum link in my sig, it will take you to another forum on UM filled with my positive and negative comments. You can also click on the website banner in my sig for a lot of my reviews. Please, upon visiting the website, forgive us for the lack of consistency when it comes to organization, as we just finished a switching over to a new design and are currently rectifying it.

I have never portrayed myself as a musical genius. I do not even play an instrument of any kind, and I have never said otherwise. I am simply a big fan of metal, with a lot of time and energy put into it, and I can safely say I know my shit. :)

this post is good reading.

anyway, i dont think they are overrated, they are the best band in the world imo. they are highly original, great melodies, and if they pull off this black metal album that was talked about, this will just prove to me that they can play any style they want to, and reinforce the idea of them being the best band ever.

true, there are some fans that refuse to say anything they do is bad (i personally think D1 and D2 are their worst albums so far) but hopefully im not one of them... i still think they are the best band out there.

KielbasaSausage said:
Heh i havent seen you post anything about bands in a while. Let me ask you something: have you ever made a positive remark about ANY band without making any "however...," "but...," or any other negative critisisms about the band? You often portray yourself as a musical genius or as someone who has made better music than any band in the world...

Dreamlord pwnz j00.

Dreamlord said:
I'll tell you the truth, this response totally baffled me. I will try to retort.

I haven't posted as much on UM as I used to due to other, more important issues, but I do try to make my opinion heard, whether it is warranted or not and whether it will be agreed with or not.

Yes, of course I've made positive remarks about bands. But I firmly believe no band or album is above criticism. There are no perfect albums or perfect bands. They simply do not exist. For proof of my positive comments, click on the forum link in my sig, it will take you to another forum on UM filled with my positive and negative comments. You can also click on the website banner in my sig for a lot of my reviews. Please, upon visiting the website, forgive us for the lack of consistency when it comes to organization, as we just finished a switching over to a new design and are currently rectifying it.

I have never portrayed myself as a musical genius. I do not even play an instrument of any kind, and I have never said otherwise. I am simply a big fan of metal, with a lot of time and energy put into it, and I can safely say I know my shit. :)

See?

Dreamlord pwnz everyone.

Oyo said:
Opeth is becoming horribly over-rated, especially on this forum.

Deliverance and Damnation were nothing special, at all. A fair judgment is a CRAPPY SONG, realise this.

...You like Lacuna Coil, one of the most average bands of the goth metal scene and a band that has done nothing special in their entire career.

Reactions: KielbasaSausage
It's simply not true that Opeth has had zero promotion. When D1 came out, they were in about four or five guitar mags (none specifically come to mind). They were on the cover of one. But I think their popularity has come through word of mouth. I've forced everyone I know to listen to Opeth. Rarely do any of my stupid friends like it, however. The kind of people who bash Opeth are usually just the elitists who think that Macabre or Cannibal Corpse or Marduk are the only metal bands worth listening to. Opeth is not over-rated.

If we could lose the "music is subjective", "its all just opinion posts" maybe this forum would have something meaningful to say not just about Opeth but metal and perhaps lots of other things.
Anyone should realise that "its all subjective" is a total denial to engage in a rational argument.
This is a forum. I think by definition that means an arena for debate and discussion.
So post something that promotes discussion rather than the old cliche of its just my opinion.

Its why you have the opinion that is important.

And don't resort to the "this post is gay" or whatever. Opeth fans are rightly accused of overrating "their" band if that is the best some respondents can come up with.
I mean you don't just listen to Opeth do you. You have a life outside of growling vox, soaring vox and great musicianship and endless acoustic interludes (that last one is a joke).
Contibute to the greatness of this band with some meaningful posts.
Of course this post may not be meaningful to any of you.
But hey its a forum.