Does anyone out there think that opeth is over-rated?

Well, I think they're overrated. But I think it's mostly the media who are responsible, and not the fans. We can't be blamed for causign all of the Opeth-hysteria going around, appearing in every mag, getting constant 10/10 reviews etc. Is that our fault?

Of course, they're not perfect, some people are obviously gonna find them unappealing or whatever but fuck it, I think they're great, they changed my perspective on music, and I happen to like D1 and D2. More than BWP. Yes, they are overrated, but at the same time, I can't understand why occasionally someone will come onto this forum and berate us all for thinking they're thr best, name out a string of bands that are more 'cult' or whatever and generally make a fool out of himself. Those people are laughable and aren't worthy of engaging in arguement. This thread, however, happens to be quite good.

Reactions: KielbasaSausage
Im 100% sure that if I was one day listening to a radiostation here in newfoundland, which I wouldn't be because they all suck, and I heard a song from damnation come on, regardless of weither or not I was an Opeth fan, I am sure I would have enjoyed it.

Metal is not the only good music on this planet.. actually the majority of metal is pure crap (but same goes with all types of music). Im not stating that you were saying this but it doesn't have to be metal to be good.

blablabla

does it really matter what opeth's label is? they could release the same thing over and over. are they selling out by releasing damnation? or by releasing that album are they doing the exact oposite of selling out?

kielba$a$au$age,

What are you talking about? You don't even know what bands I listen to....

You are too hilarious kielba$a$au$age. You don't realize how foolish you appear.

If only you had gained some intelligence...I feel sorry for you...very sorry.

Sincerely,
Hellvomits

Lets face it. Most metal is crap...yet there's something about it that draws us to the music. Opeth just happen to have written a style of music which evolves out of the metal genre, but yet, the roots and emotion of the sound, call it soul if you will, are firmly grounded in the themes of metal. Anger, sorrow, hate, melancholy etc etc. Even Damnation is a tearfull album, and evokes a pretty melancholy emotion...though it doesn't sound like metal at all...but the themes are there. It resonates in metal fans I think. Mikael's voice and his music writing don't generally feel contrived or forced if you will, and it ebbs and flows to suit the feeling of the moment.
I for one, like many here, was completely blown away by Orchid and this new band Opeth. At the time, they had no press release or media attention whatsoever. The music itself was all it took. Hell, there wasn't even any artwork, or self-indulgent images of band members, or hypocritical political or religious statements or the usual shit you find on most metal albums. Just a simple photo of a flower. Heh, maybe it was a canny marketing ploy to get a dweeb like me to buy the album....I think not.

Anyway, enough of my gushing rant...hype in spades I say. They deserve it...they deserved it along time ago.

Hellvomits said:
kielba$a$au$age,
What are you talking about? You don't even know what bands I listen to....
You are too hilarious kielba$a$au$age. You don't realize how foolish you appear.
If only you had gained some intelligence...I feel sorry for you...very sorry.
Sincerely,
Hellvomits

The only people you should feel sorry for are your parents. I'd be pissed off if my son never grew out of the kiddie angst years.

Also, I would really enjoy having you list ALL your favorite bands, and maybe even some links to some music you have personally made. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Kielbasa

EDIT:
Hellvomits said:
cddisc.gif
Krieg
:lol: Ok thats an interesting start. A band whose intent is to only make "primal blacknoise." They are crap without Soth, although they were never that great IMO.
It would be great if you just listed bands that made music. :D

KielbasaSausage said:
The only people you should feel sorry for are your parents. I'd be pissed off if my son never grew out of the kiddie angst years.

Also, I would really enjoy having you list ALL your favorite bands, and maybe even some links to some music you have personally made. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Kielbasa

EDIT::lol: Ok thats an interesting start. A band whose intent is to only make "primal blacknoise." They are crap without Soth, although they were never that great IMO.
It would be great if you just listed bands that made music. :D

Krieg is a non-musical band , which makes music . Eh?! :loco:

Any time a band receives unusually large recognition, whether it be Opeth, Blind Guardian, or Iced Earth, the people whose tastes that band does not appeal to are going to become more vocal and label that band as "overrated." By using that word, you are simply saying, "This band receives a large amount of recognition, but I do not like them." This cannot be argued with, except to change that person's taste in music. But understand this: In the underground metal scene, bands do not become as popular as Opeth through mass hypnosis. There are always valid reasons as to why those bands appeal to mass amounts of people.

i just was linked to this board from opeth.com and was curious so i looked around for a couple minutes, not really expecting to register and post but just look around and see if i found anything interesting. i saw an error here that i noticed no one had corrected (unless i missed it lots of posts to read) and it bugged me so hard i had to take the time to register. DAVE MUSTAINE DID NOT SAY THOSE WORDS DIDNT GO TOGETHER!!! it was a quote from rust in peace if i remember correctly about military intelligence, i think on hanger 18 but i havent listened in awhile so im not totally possible. so you can rip on this bastard all you want i disagree with him and think its dumb to post this on an opeth board looking for support but dave mustaine has nothing to do with it. thats one of the biggest misquotes ive ever seen

so... each release is getting lighter? I can certainly see how you would think that, comparing the pounding intensity of silhouette to the dulcet rambling of, say, wreath. I don't personally think they're overrated - they're hardly rated in music press at all, save for brave words and terrorizer once in a while. They've gotten as far as they've come on their own merits, with little to no advertising and zero radio play. They've never let slip their integrity and never released a bad album, they're not afraid to experiment. the musicianship is a joy (as are the vocals) and above all, akerfeldt writes amazing, original songs and really has never put a foot wrong as far as I can see... I really can't think of an opeth song I don't like - there aren't many bands around you can honestly state that about, and if you do, you're probably lying. (death would probably be the only other example I could think of). Opeth are just Opeth, love them or hate them. Chances are if you love them you will adore them, and if you dislike them you will really dislike them - hence having the viewpoint of them being over or underrated. It's really not an issue in my eyes.... you'd rather see metallicock getting platinums for st anger?

Cutter said:
Lets face it. Most metal is crap...yet there's something about it that draws us to the music. Opeth just happen to have written a style of music which evolves out of the metal genre, but yet, the roots and emotion of the sound, call it soul if you will, are firmly grounded in the themes of metal. Anger, sorrow, hate, melancholy etc etc. Even Damnation is a tearfull album, and evokes a pretty melancholy emotion...though it doesn't sound like metal at all...but the themes are there. It resonates in metal fans I think. Mikael's voice and his music writing don't generally feel contrived or forced if you will, and it ebbs and flows to suit the feeling of the moment.
I for one, like many here, was completely blown away by Orchid and this new band Opeth. At the time, they had no press release or media attention whatsoever. The music itself was all it took. Hell, there wasn't even any artwork, or self-indulgent images of band members, or hypocritical political or religious statements or the usual shit you find on most metal albums. Just a simple photo of a flower. Heh, maybe it was a canny marketing ploy to get a dweeb like me to buy the album....I think not.

Anyway, enough of my gushing rant...hype in spades I say. They deserve it...they deserved it along time ago.

wholehearted agreement.

thebleakaffinity said:
...You like Lacuna Coil, one of the most average bands of the goth metal scene and a band that has done nothing special in their entire career.

I fucking love it when people bash lacuna coil - THEY FUCKING SUCK

cityofthemoon666 said:
I think head is overrated

Then you need to get an experienced woman to blow you, because those chicks obviously arent doing it right.

Either that, or you need to take steroids so your cucumber will get bigger.