Jazz Recommendations

Sanzen said:
Sounds similiar to Italy's Ephel Duath (minus the dance/electronica, I think)....check them out if you haven't heard em.

Ephel Duath is mostly better IMO. There are moments of Lux Occulta that are jaw-dropping, though. But mostly, it's pretty disjointed. And I mean from song to song, not within the song. It's like they couldn't decide what kind of album to make. Again, worth a listen, but not as good as Ephel Duath.

Hey I don't know if this is true but I heard that at the 1945 NYC concert with Bird and dizzy that bird had forgot his sax so he went across the street to a pawn shop and bought a plastic sax. This would be awesome considering that is one of the best jazz concerts ever!

I was in the Pub on Sunday when the best jazz band was playing. Keyboard, Drums and a stand in Bass player. Now bugger me they were good, the stand in bass player had some sort of handicap/motor problem, but when he was playing he was playing, if that makes sense. He wasnt sure of all the pieces, but they just shouted him the key and he was off. But, and this is a big but, he knew when not to play, as with the drummer. They could blow away most players if they wanted to but also were aware that less is more. They played Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, covered classics, did some blues stuff and they were quite frankly off the tits.

The drummer had a small kit, but used it to it's extremes, all parts of the cymbals withh all parts of the sticks/brushes/beaters. It just proves that you don't need a huge kit with seven bass drums, and you don't need to play at 280bpm to be a good drummer. What struck me most was how much fun they were having. They were playing to an audience which they outnumbered (not quite literally but you catch my drift) and were incredible musicians who deserved far better, but they were happy. Only complaint was that the Keyboards/occasional vocals and quips was a bit too close to the Jazz Club man from the fast show, this will probably make sense only to the UK inhabitants on this board.

So yeah Jazz is cool, but like any other genre has it's bad points, so I don't deify it, or anyone whol listens to it. In fact a lot of Jazzers are old, elitist cunts but then they are everywhere. Sorry I went on a bit, lol.

If you want to treat yourself, grab a copy of Vinnie Colauita's (Sting's drummer) self-titled album. Truly amazing.

For those living in Sydney (go the Socceroos), there's a band called Doug Williams and LR Mix that kick arse!!! Well worth seeing.

madu said:
Anyone familiar with this uh.. John Zorn (I think) guy? Could you recommend me an album by him.

Well Zorn is hard to categorize, a lot of this stuff isn't jazz at all. but if i were to reccomend something, my favorites of his are IAO, and Naked City's Absinthe. both of which are fairly minimalist in approach, and not really jazzy... as always, very bizarre though.

2 jazz albums i've been really loving lately:

Marilyn Crispell - Nothing Ever Was, Anyway
Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Achirana

Stan Getz- cafe montmartre, that album makes me feel like I`m in an old b&w movie. good stuff for unwinding or for undressing females after the correct ammount of red wine....

Moonlapse said:
The two aren't mutually exclusive.. so yeah, it can be both, and I think in a lot of people's minds it is. You have a lot to share with the forum, but demeaning everyone because they don't understand that is probably not the best way to go about it :)

I've never dug very deep into Jazz. After all the recommendations in this thread, I'll delve into it a bit. My impressions of the genre were always that it was a method for musicians to express their superiority over others. It's certainly that way with Jazz musicians I know in person. But there's always been a soothing element to jazz which I've appreciated, so I hope to run into more ambient, relaxing style stuff.

Then get Miles Davis-Kind of Blue.

Mumblefood said:
Well Zorn is hard to categorize, a lot of this stuff isn't jazz at all. but if i were to reccomend something, my favorites of his are IAO, and Naked City's Absinthe. both of which are fairly minimalist in approach, and not really jazzy... as always, very bizarre though.

2 jazz albums i've been really loving lately:

Marilyn Crispell - Nothing Ever Was, Anyway
Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Achirana

That Zorn is some weird shit.Naked City is the one to hear I guess.
Steve Reich/Kronos Quartet/Pat Metheny--Different Trains is out there too.

Are Marilyn Crispell and Vassilis Tsabropoulos from Canada? They got websites? ( I suppose I should go look them up) :lol:

gatedropper said:
That Zorn is some weird shit.Naked City is the one to hear I guess.
Steve Reich/Kronos Quartet/Pat Metheny--Different Trains is out there too.

Are Marilyn Crispell and Vassilis Tsabropoulos from Canada? They got websites? ( I suppose I should go look them up) :lol:

i REALLY like Different Trains, that's such an awesome album. Tsabropoulos is from Greece, and i'm not sure where Crispell is from, the states maybe?

I'm not sure if they have websites, but just google those albums, Amazon sells them, and they have some sound clips there too i believe. Both albums are just gorgeous though...