Jazz

King Chaos

Pomeo Osoponeor
Mar 19, 2004
Chronosynclasticinfundibulum
www.myspace.com
So as we all know To-Mera are exclusively reintroducing jazz into/alongside metal... and not a jazz-metal hybrid like ephel duath or any of these other tech bands, but actual passages of smooth jazz.

So what Jazz do you guys listen to? Any Nu-Jazz recommendations? Any old school smooth jazz aswell, list 'em.

My favourite jazz album at the moment is probably Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue', because I've owned it for so long and I know the direction of all the improvisations really well. It's really grown on me. Herbie Hancock rules too. Chet Baker is like the neurosis of jazz, got some really moody tunes.

A new thing I've recently listened to is Bill Evans and Jim Hall's collaboration on an album called under current. It's just piano and guitar, got that awesome thick dry jazz tone though. It's cool ambient music aswell as good for analytical listening.

As for Nu-Jazz, there's this absolute dude who performs in the streets of leeds. The moment I heard it I was totally engrossed. His name is Gavin Randle and he plays improvised themes on sax and flute over some sort of electronic chill out bacling tracks. I bought his album for a tenner and it's amazing. the mix on his solos is beautiful. I think he adds loads of spatial reverb and it just sounds unbelievably epic.

I like jazz but basically listen to fusion bands / artists. I especially love Al Di Meola. In a more "pure" jazz approach I really like Chick Corea and Michel Camilo. Pat Metheny does have some great stuff as well. The album you mention "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis is a true classic, but it goes a little far from my taste, though I'm still able to appreciate it.

Of course I love all those old school metal bands (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence...) that introduced some jazz influences in the style.

COPROFAGO is definitely one of the best metal/jazz crossover since Cynic.
Their latest CD "Unorthodox Creative Criteria" is in my heavy rotation pile right beside "To-Mera" and "Ram-Zet"

COPROFAGO

And, speaking of jazz, I really enjoy "Willem Breuker Kollektief" and "Peter Brotzmann's - Machine Gun". Free-jazz... CRAZY STUFF...

Originally Posted by thisisaformicatable
Note the lack of violent speed and aggression in classical, blues and jazz

Double D'oh!

Mahavishnu Orchestra alongside with John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham, splendid fusion as mentioned. Herbie also.

So if anyone's still interested

(Duke Ellington; roots)
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane ov coz
my fav Davis' On the Corner and Bitches Brew
Erik Truffaz
Peter Brotzmann
Nels Cline/WallyShoup/Chris Corsano
Jonas Hellborg
Last Exit
Tied & Tickled Trio
The Thing
Raoul Björkenheim
Scorch Trio
Bill Frisell
Krakatau
Cooper Moore

maybe hard to find, try myspace:
Abstrakt Collision
Troko
Laser
Skalle & Sharon
Veljeni Valas
Drums & Tuba

Anyway there's a few that have been on my playlist for times, but beware some of them are quite aggressive like Brotzmann, Last Exit and The Thing. :cool:

Its funny that I grew up with jazz thanks to my mother, and its probably why I eventually ended up listening to metal in the first place. Always preferred instruments in my music over anything else.

All I've listened to recently has been Norah Jones but I could give some here a try. Jazz hybrids, especially in metal, are pretty enjoyable... but what To-Mera is doing is a step above awesome.

reply to the first post : I wouldn't say To-mera plays smooth jazz, it's more technical jazz if anything. Smooth jazz is like elevator music

LOL @ "nu-jazz".

Check out Weather Report (fusion) and John Zorn (free, experimental) TBH.