Ravi Shankar and Opeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
Actually, this has nothing to do with opeth, so i completely understand when you have to delete this or, close it, moonlapse. however, i strongly encourage you to read it. i wouldn't post this, or type this much if it wasn't so important to me.

anyway, i saw this guy perform last night. for any of you who don't know who this guy is; he is a virtuoso sitar player, composer, living legend (84 yrs. old), etc....this guy is almost soley responsible for bringing indian classical music to the rest of the world. he is probably one of the most influential musicians in the history of music.

so, if you are still reading, check this guy out. it completely opened a whole new world of music to me in 3 pieces, (2 1/2 hours). the complex melodies and scales (ragas) that he uses are absolutely melting. this guy could barely speak, walk, and he almost forgot his backup musician's names when introducing them. he picked up that sitar, and played it malmsteen speed (literally), only using melodies and scales (ragas) 234089 times more interesting and complex. i can't say enough about this guy.

sorry moonlapse, however we could turn this into an opeth discussion. opeth uses some synthetic scales that have an egyptian or indian feel to them.

yeah, he was harrison's influence for indian type music.
harrison rules ---> shankar rules

i think the only work i've heard by shankar was on the tribute to george though, so i'll have to indulge in some original pieces of his.

Hm, thanks for recommending, I'll try to get my hands on some of his stuff sometime.

To go abit further on the 'foreign' music, you should also try Kitaro. It's Japanese music, and just plain beautiful. Try the album 'Kojiki'.

Go here for some samples:
http://www.kitaro.net/kojiki.htm

I own an old vinyl (probably 1984 or smth) and Peter Gabriel's Passion (1989). He plays on last one also. Good shit! Nice to hear that he's still alive and play music.

??????, ???? ??????!

ravi shankar fucking rocks... im glad someone on this board appreciates him

Status
Not open for further replies.