Opeth's live preformance

I fuckin love improvisation... bands like Phish and The Grateful Dead created one off experiences with their audiences... there was truly a feeling of..."wow, this is never gonna happen again in the same way... and I am here to experience this"...

Opeth is obviously one of my favourite bands... but Improvising and mixing things up is a whole lot cooler than playing the exact same set night after night...

that being said... The last Opeth show I went to Face of Melinda had huge improvised sections... especially the end... The band just basically jammed over the groove and mike played crazy Gilmour-esque solos over it all... Per was defenitly adding a lot too and the song did feel completely different than how it is on the album.

Personally, i dont care wether or not they improvise. do it or not they are awesome musicians, and i must say that while they are great to listen to at home/in a car/at a party or wherever you are, i find they are 10x more amazing live in concert, cause mikes a big joker on stage, and they really know how to work a crowd.(mtl wise at least...)

AI said:
Of course you can claim that Led Zeppelin is a shitty band, but it seems that Mike has a different opinion. Check out his best ever albums, and you'll find Led Zeppelin - IV.

Err... Sarcasm. Ever heard about it?

Led Zeppelin is my favourite band :p

I've always disliked it when bands choose to play the exact same setlist at every show. I remember seeing Rush in Albany on the Test For Echo tour and being so impressed that I decided to see them later on the same tour in Toronto.

Same. Exact. Show.

I understand the reason for having the same set each night, but as a fan, it can be frustrating. Especially when one sees the setlist on this board prior to the show they are attending.

The first time I saw Opeth I knew every song that was going to be played. They started The Moor and everyone was freaking out - and I was like, yeah, I knew that.

It would be cool if they had a spot in the set for a random song - call it the "Old School Slot" where they play a random song from Orchid or Morningrise.

I think that the bands have the same setlists every night because they can't remember every single song that everybody wants them to play, so they try and appeal to as many fans as they can. I know on the European leg in December they played Under a Weeping Moon, which on the bootleg I have got a huge crowd response

A very contraversial subject, because nearly everyone loves Opeth for what they already done and not for the extent to which they can experiment on the spot. I saw the encore of Demon Of The Fall and just before the MASSIv growl Mikael waited for bout 10 seconds and played the chord to the next riff and came in with it - it was standard, but that growl alone makes it a DOTF a good record, soo sorta spoiled it..
ne one seen a better finish to their set than the standard demon of the fall? or recommend any