Opeth's most twisted riff.....

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
What do you think it would be. I mean their most off the wall, strange, uncoventional sounding riff. After learning some of the songs, I discover strange riffs that just make me think (How the hell did they ever come up with that???"

It's gotta be some crazy drugs or something, it's just not natural!! Case in point.....That crazy transistional riff that goes from distorted to clean, just before the outro riff in Karma. Then again, that whole song is pretty much twisted brilliance. :)

It would have to be the intro to Godhead's Lament. They topped themselves with that one, give me another Opeth part which has a riff like that and a lead guitar like THAT on top? It just reeks of chaos! ;)

The beginning of Karma always gets me as well, along with some other selected parts from MAYH.

i agree with lugnasadh...that riff in drapery is crazy. there's a riff in godhead's lament that i think is cool...that extended on towards the beginning half, maybe about 2 min. in? the timing is like extended from normal riffs so it sounds strange...i also like that weird riff in serenity painted death.

kevin

Once again Leper Affinity must be used. The rhythm (not the high lead) riff at 6:16 in the Leper Affinity is just fucked up, it may not sound so but it REALLY IS!!!! I play guitar, and am quite good (not just my opinion) but I can't even play that shit, its so hard, weird timing, strange note placement... I think that Blackwater Park has definately the strangest riffs, atmosphere, and overall sound! But probably musically their best album (though not my favorite)..

Definitely the intro to Godhead's Lament ! Now this reminds me of Shostakovich... I would like them to go more into this chaotic direction !

--------------------------------
NP: Stravinsky - Petrushka