Serenity Painted Death Vs. White Cluster

BlackRoseImmortalWaterPark

Black Ros Mortal!! METAL!
Oct 4, 2007
Toronto
Two amazing tracks off the Epic Magnum Opus album Still Life, and probably the two heaviest on the ablum no doubt. So I keep listenin to this album back to front and Its such a hard choice to make as what is the better song. Both songs very hard hitting with brutal riffs and amazing solos. Some of Opeth's best right here. Now White Cluster has the better solo, but SPD has the better riffs in my opinion, especially the first 3 minutes of SPD are fucking brutal and incredible. Very original sounding, and just rocking. :headbang:, Especially that clean vocal part at 7 minutes and how it goes back to that heavy riff about 7:45. OOOOHHHHHHH WHITE FACED HAGGARD GRIN! This Serenity Painted Death. Also both songs have great accousitc outro passages, Don't count White Cluster out though, that riff at the beginning is just fucking evil. I think White Cluster has the better clean vocal moments, This is forgiveness so I Know! And when the clean vocals finish and those crushing riffs come in around 4:30 and the next riffs just before the solo, very amazing. And I must say again Holee shit :OMG: that solo! My pops is also a big huge Opeth fan and he heard the solo hes like who is that! hes like thats an Opeth solo! No way, Definately one of there best, and most technical. So pick your Poison White cluster or Serenity Painted Death, I know its tough! I have no answer yet.

IMO... White Cluster pwns. Best track off of Still Life, and one of my top-five
favourite Opeth songs of all time. With that said, SPD isn't bad at all; in fact it's pretty
damn good, too. The entire album is royalty.

I think White Cluster is the better song (technically and lyrically), SPD is a bit more simplistic, but I'm going to have to say I enjoy SPD more, even though I absolutely love White Cluster as well.

I think SPD is the only time Opeth has ever used a pinch-harmonic...please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am lol.

Nah dude they use them quite a bit, theres some pinched harmonics used in the Song Deliverance, umm in Master's Apprentices, Leper Affinity, Blackwaterpark, Wreath, haha well thats all I can think of right now, Listen to them and you'll find them!

:headbang:

To be able to appreciate melodies like "seemingly jaded and lost" is the essence of being able to like Opeth i think. Know what i mean? I call it catchy apathy :)

i thought they used pinch-harmonic in masters apprentices??????

Yeah, that's right.
They use a pinch harmonic in the riff from 2:05 to 2:22~ in Master's Apprentices.

Other than that, I can't recall of any other song besides SPD that use pinch harmonics lol.

Can anyone else think of one? :p