Blackwater Park Vs Still Life

that's a really tough call, considering I love both albums so much... like children...

(I hate myself for doing this) If broken down track by track...

The Moor/ Leper Affinity
Bleak / Godheads lament
Harvest/ Benighted
The Drapery Falls/ Moonlapse Vertigo
Face of Melinda / Dirge for November
Serenity Painted Death / The funeral Portrait
Blackwater Park/White Cluster

Bwp 4 vs SL 3.

Bwp wins.

:erk:

BWP is better in every possible way.

(I don't actually think it is better in every aspect, but I personally prefer it).

Not that this is an accurate way of comparing albums, but it's a bit of fun, so..

The Moor - The Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest
Moonlapse Vertigo - The Drapery Falls
Face of Melinda - Dirge for November
SPD - Funeral Portrait
White Cluster - Blackwater Park

Still Life is the absolute greatest album in existence.

I love BWP, but this is a joke. It has to be.

Bleak better than Godheads Lament? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tough choice. Both albums are great examples of the Opeth sound. They are pretty evenly split down the middle for me. I like Harvest, Patterns in the Ivy II, The Drapery Falls, and The Lepper Affinity. And from SL: Face of Melinda, Moonlapse Vertigo, Benighted, Godheads Lament, and The Moor. I like Steven Wilson's touch on Blackwater Park. but I've probably played Still Life more often.

I really can't understand what people see in Harvest. IMO it has to be one of the worst songs by Opeth. By far one of the most simple and boring songs they have ever recorded. I don't see how anyone can pick Harvest over Benighted.

Still Life ftw.

Still life when its remastered.

Right now BWP > Still life because the production quality is so much higher.

Both albums kick major ass, but I just like still life better and I can't wait for the remixed version to come out. :kickass:

You have to be kidding me. Benighted is a great song and Face of Melinda is one of the best songs on Still Life imo.

I wouldn't go that far but they are solid tracks.

But.. patterns in ivy I and II and still day beneath the sun are also, solid sans growl tracks.

I LOVE still life for

The Moor
Godhead's Lament
Moonlapse Vertigo
Serenity Painted Death
White Cluster

Benighted and Face of Melinda I always wanna skip...but I hold off and just let the album go..but I rarely enjoy these songs..Of course the end of Melinda is amazing but that whole first like 3 mins is so boring..And whats with the bwp bashing? Its def a top album by the Akerfeldt and friends....Name me one bad song off of bwp? Bash harvest? how is harvest bad? That song is brilliant.

Another good discussion would be Ghost Reveries Vs. Deliverance

and IMO Ghost wins! \m/ but all opeth rules....The wait for watershed kills me

I can't really compare both because they are all great in their own sense. I listen to SL when I have time to listen it from beginning to the end because I think you really have to get in the whole concept thing to enjoy it more.
What I love about BWP is the Steven Wilsonesque touch he did on it. Songs are still killers but the guitars sounds fucked up sometimes and I like it. Anyways I never realised that there was some kind of ressemblance between the songs weird :p (like The moor and TLA or Benighted and Harvest)

Just get both and listen to one when you feel like it!

I fully agree with IntoPhagist. i heart SL because it's the more dreamy, complete album, it feels a lot darker and brooding than BWP, but most of the time when i listen to it i do tend to skip Benighted and FoM. However, the concept adds more dimension to the music than the 'conceptless' albums.. But then every track on BWP is a magnum opus in its own right, even Harvest without any power riffs, i certainly prefer Harvest to Benighted, BWP's mellower parts are more captivating than Still Life's imo, but i like the heaver parts on SL; and SL is a lot more technical than their other albums.

The Moor > Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament = Bleak
Benighted < Harvest
Moonlapse Vertigo > Drapery Falls (love both of them tho)
Face of Melinda < Dirge for November (DfN is absolutely perfect)
SPD > Funeral Portrait
White Cluster < BWP

I guess that makes them equal, to be honest i think the albums capture different moods, emotions and imagery, so there's no point trying to compare them, they serve different aims.