Blackwater Park Vs Still Life

BlackRoseImmortalWaterPark

Black Ros Mortal!! METAL!
Oct 4, 2007
Toronto
Im sure this obviously has been argued many times before so chill. This battle has been making me wonder for a while now, what is truly better Blackwater Park Or Still Life, Albums that are similar but very different as well. Blackwater Park was the first album I listened too and is truly a complete album and masterpiece. Now I always liked Still Life, but it was never close to Blackwater Park for me, It was because I never really listened to it nearly as much. Now the past few months, I have been loving Still Life more each and every day. And Now I agree that Still Life is a complete and masterpiece as well, and I like it so much that I believe its in the same league as Blackwater Park, If Not better. So I wanted to have each song battle against each other, Now ask yourself.

Leper Affinity Or The Moor? Thats the toughest fucking question out of all, its a tie hahah.

Bleak or Godheads Lament? I Pick Bleak but then again theres Godheads hahah so tough.

Benighted or Harvest- Harvest for me

Drapery Falls Or Moonlapse Vertigo- I still havent really got that same feeling with Moonlapse yet, so Drapery falls.

Face of Melinda or Dirge For November- Both very amazing songs, I think the ending of Dirge has to be one of the most beautiful things written but I like face of Melinda better, especially the heavy riff halve way through the song, All in all melinda is a better tune.

Serenity Painted Death Vs The Funeral Portrait, Both songs with kick ass riffs, very original and some of Opeths best, and both songs with both kick ass amazing solos, so this is really a tough one. But I cant resist that one riff around 2:20 with the pinched harmonic in Serenity so thats my vote hahah. So Fucking heavy. EVIL

White Cluster Vs Blackwater Park, Blackwater park is a real album closer, yet again two songs with amazing solos, actually wah wah used in blackwater park solo, gotta love that wah wah, and White Cluster solos one of Opeths best and most technical, I know I just learned her tonight hahha. I think white cluster is a masterpice no doubt but have to say another tie for me, Love them both same amount.

So it looks like Blackwater park has 1 up including the ties now that dosent mean overall better, Still Life is for sure a more technical and very different sounding album, like alot of it is a sound u cant find on any other albums. I cant give an answer hahha if I had to say now it Would be Blackwater, but give me some more listens and it will be a tie for sure.

This is IMO, at least...

The Moor - Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest
Moonlapse Vertigo - Drapery Falls
Face of Melinda - Dirge for November
SPD > Funeral Portrait
White Cluster = BWP

I love Cluster and Blackwater Park. Two excellent songs.
Harvest only beats Benighted because it's such a classic.
So... Still Life wins :)

Also, Face of Melinda is MUCH better live...

How can one even fathom comparing them? And I don't believe that you can compare the songs like that. It's about the collection of songs. I love Still Life's raw brutality and I love BWP's beautiful harmonies...no way they can be compared.

The thing is... In my opinion, Still Life is better as a whole than Blackwater Park, but bwp has better songs for "individual" listening. I think bwp is more a collection of really good songs, but sl is fucking great when listening through the concept.

The Moor - The Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest
Moonlapse Vertigo - The Drapery Falls
SPD - Funeral Portrait
White Cluster - BWP

To me BWP as a whole wins by a little... I don' t like White Cluster that much

I love them both. Though I in a way tend to favour SL because of its theme. Blackwater Park sounds so much better and some of the riffing isn't as repetitive as in SL, but it's the atmosphere that counts.

Im sure this obviously has been argued many times before so chill. This battle has been making me wonder for a while now, what is truly better Blackwater Park Or Still Life, Albums that are similar but very different as well. Blackwater Park was the first album I listened too and is truly a complete album and masterpiece. Now I always liked Still Life, but it was never close to Blackwater Park for me, It was because I never really listened to it nearly as much. Now the past few months, I have been loving Still Life more each and every day. And Now I agree that Still Life is a complete and masterpiece as well, and I like it so much that I believe its in the same league as Blackwater Park, If Not better. So I wanted to have each song battle against each other, Now ask yourself.

Leper Affinity Or The Moor? Thats the toughest fucking question out of all, its a tie hahah.

Bleak or Godheads Lament? I Pick Bleak but then again theres Godheads hahah so tough.

Benighted or Harvest- Harvest for me

Drapery Falls Or Moonlapse Vertigo- I still havent really got that same feeling with Moonlapse yet, so Drapery falls.

Face of Melinda or Dirge For November- Both very amazing songs, I think the ending of Dirge has to be one of the most beautiful things written but I like face of Melinda better, especially the heavy riff halve way through the song, All in all melinda is a better tune.

Serenity Painted Death Vs The Funeral Portrait, Both songs with kick ass riffs, very original and some of Opeths best, and both songs with both kick ass amazing solos, so this is really a tough one. But I cant resist that one riff around 2:20 with the pinched harmonic in Serenity so thats my vote hahah. So Fucking heavy. EVIL

White Cluster Vs Blackwater Park, Blackwater park is a real album closer, yet again two songs with amazing solos, actually wah wah used in blackwater park solo, gotta love that wah wah, and White Cluster solos one of Opeths best and most technical, I know I just learned her tonight hahha. I think white cluster is a masterpice no doubt but have to say another tie for me, Love them both same amount.

So it looks like Blackwater park has 1 up including the ties now that dosent mean overall better, Still Life is for sure a more technical and very different sounding album, like alot of it is a sound u cant find on any other albums. I cant give an answer hahha if I had to say now it Would be Blackwater, but give me some more listens and it will be a tie for sure.

2 completley different albums, no comparison. end.

Yeah they're 2 completely different albums, but who says you can't compare them on a track-by-track basis and figure out which one you like better? Have some fun, man...

Let's see, for me it would be like
Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest
Serenity Painted Death - The Funeral Portrait
White Cluster - Blackwater Park

Hmm, this is very interesting. Overall, I really don't know which album I prefer, it changes constantly. I don't think BWP is a bad album at all per se, I just think it probably has the worst (I use that word lightly) collection of songs on an Opeth album. Meaning, all the songs are good, but there are only a few REALLY amazing tracks (Leper Affinity, Drapery Falls, BWP) that just knock my socks off, so to speak. But generally it is a great album and nice to listen to.

2 completley different albums, no comparison. end.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree here. Still Life has a more dreamy, perhaps otherworldly quality to it, whereas Blackwater Park is raw, dark and murky. I'd never really liked Still Life until quite recently, but both are beautiful albums in their own right.

They are both amazing, too hard to compare the albums as a whole.

I will show the tracks I like most.

Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest

Most of these only barely win though. I really love both albums.

The concept in Still Life is great I must add.

Verdict: Still Life is equal to Blackwater Park.

The Moor = Leper Affinity
Godhead's Lament - Bleak
Benighted - Harvest
Moonlapse Vertigo - Drapery Falls
Face of Melinda - Dirge for November (BARELY)
SPD - Funeral Portrait
White Cluster = BWP

Godhead's Lament -Bleak
Benighted - Harvest

Overall I enjoy Still Life more, while Blackwater Park sounds much more polished, Still Life is much more edgy and raw.

It's hard for me to compare the two albums because they're two completely different listening experiences. Not only is the music different, the fact that Still Life is a concept album makes it a weaker album to divide into individual songs but on the other hand, it also makes it a more satisfying, interesting album to listen to in its entirety. The music on both albums is simply superb and they both contain some of the best songs that Opeth has ever recorded. Both don't have any weak songs whatsoever, though the sound on Blackwater Park is far better.

Overall, I'd say that for "hmmmm I want to listen to an Opeth song" moment, Still Life is relatively lacking when compared to Blackwater Park, but when I want to listen to a whole album, which is usually the way I listen to music, Still Life has a clear edge.

It's hard for me to compare the two albums because they're two completely different listening experiences. Not only is the music different, the fact that Still Life is a concept album makes it a weaker album to divide into individual songs but on the other hand, it also makes it a more satisfying, interesting album to listen to in its entirety. The music on both albums is simply superb and they both contain some of the best songs that Opeth has ever recorded. Both don't have any weak songs whatsoever, though the sound on Blackwater Park is far better.

Overall, I'd say that for "hmmmm I want to listen to an Opeth song" moment, Still Life is relatively lacking when compared to Blackwater Park, but when I want to listen to a whole album, which is usually the way I listen to music, Still Life has a clear edge.

That's exactly what I meant, only yours was better worded :)