which opeth's song most fun to play?

For drums, everything on Morningrise is fun because those songs are pretty easy. Demon of the Fall isn't bad. Master's Apprentices is fun as well. I can almost get down the end of Deliverance. Once I've mastered that, I'll be happy. It's not really as hard as it sounds.

Wow to be honest I really like the April Ethereal cover you did... really solid it has a very atmospheric essence about it.

I wanna hear the full thing! : P

Advent has a cool quality I like playing, errr... hours of wealth, all Opeth songs are pretty fun to play.

MasterOLightning said:
I can almost get down the end of Deliverance. Once I've mastered that, I'll be happy. It's not really as hard as it sounds.

I thought it was harder than it sounds - I'm not a drummer but I thought the hard part wasn't the whole crazy syncopated-ness of the main rhythm, but the fact that underneath he's playing a straight 1-2-3-4 on the splash. I find the second half of that riff impossible to drum because of that. But then, I'm not really a drummer.

Leper Affinity is a blast to play, I don't think it's that hard, there's some fairly tricky fills but apart from that it's pretty easy. I haven't learned many other Opeth songs, I can never be bothered to sit and learn a 10-minute song, I generally just know the odd riff here and there. I keep meaning to try and learn the guitar solos in A Fair Judgement because they're amazing. I'll do it one day.

for me it would be Deliverance, is so cool to play it and sing along, and mike's last solo is so amaizingly beautiful.

...To Bid You Farewell is also pretty cool and easy to play (was the first one a learned completely)

they all rock to play anyways!!!

annt said:
I've been thinking about doing a swing version of The Leper Affinity... What do you think, would I be hailed as the God of Music, or would everyone hire a hitman for me?

lol, i can totally hear the opening riff in swing time....fucking do it man!!!

MasterOLightning said:
For drums, everything on Morningrise is fun because those songs are pretty easy.
Are you kidding me? Morningrise's drumming is fucking awful! I can't stand his style.. and the drum sound. MAYH-BWP is more my style of drumming although Deliverance is overall the most challenging and potentially the most fun.

I've only learned three Opeth songs cos I'm stupid, but on bass, Deliverance is fun to play. In My Time of Need and To Rid the Disease are cool to play too, I guess.

I agree with the other drummers. This stuff is a blast to play. Especially Baying of the Hounds, Ghost of Perdition, The Moor, Advent, Leper Affinity, Deliverance, Bleak, Wreath, the middle of Drapery Falls, etc. Any guitarists in the DC area who feel like jamming out in my basement, let me know. lawrfm1@yahoo.com

back to guitar

My first opeth song has to be windowpane - I love the halftime descending pattern where the song totally changes.

But patterns in the Ivy, dirge for november, bleak (well i'm trying to learn the whole thing), drapery falls, moonlapse, to rid the disease, hope leaves, to bid you farewell, for absent friends, ending credits, closure - the bit where he does the arpeggiated rif after he's done strumming, all the acoustic riffs off deliverance.

For now i just hate playing the odd sounding riffs like the intro to april ethereal.

i'll need to listen to it a bit more to get the hang of it.

Btw - is there a way to play advent on one guitar and still play that bass bend part on guitar? Its played over the acoustic break.