Most Difficult Opeth Album And Song To Play

BlackRoseImmortalWaterPark

Black Ros Mortal!! METAL!
Oct 4, 2007
Toronto
Being a Guitar player for myself, I have never spent more time on any other band except Opeth. Mostly 90 percent of things I play on guitar are all Opeth related. I know how to play about 30 Opeth songs all the way through, note for note. I have never studied A band's music more than in my life. So anyway I wanted to hear from fellow Opeth players, that what do you think is the most difficult Opeth album and song to play(Guitar Wise).

I would definately have to say Still Life. Out of all the 8 albums I have had the most difficulty with Still Life, the finger picked parts are challenging and the riffs and solos are very different than other albums, Thats what makes Opeth albums so good, each one is different in a way.

Not having tried to learn every song yet, I wanted everyone elses opinion on what is the hardest song to play, or a top 5 of the most challenging songs. I would say probably a tune from still life.

:headbang: Rock On!

Yeah it would have to be Still Life. The riff construction is so unique and bizarre, that it takes quite a bit of adjustment to get the mind and hands working with enough synergy to pull it off.

As far as most difficult.... the most difficult Opeth track I learned was The Moor, so that would be my vote.

I too enjoy playing opeth, even when i write music i find it having that opethy sound because their easily my biggest influence. I have never tried to play anything off of still life i dont think, or orchid now that i think about it, but everything else i've tried. I love playing shit off of damnation, MAYH, but i think the hardest ( maybe not the hardest but the most intimidating) being morningrise. Whenever i'm home and have nothing to do i get that excited guitarist urge to play something new and learn new stuff and i'll get tabs for say .. night and the silent water, and i'll look at them and by the first minute i just get bored or.. idk. And i hate playing ghost reveries stuff cause of the tuning but yea..

I don't find Still Life the hardest, as a whole album, mainly because I'm better at fingerpicking than anything else (I come from 7 years with classical guitar :Smug: ). I'd say the hardest album is Deliverance, though the hardest song is The Moor.

I also would say Still Life. Especially if you´re playing with distortion it´s hard to make it sound as good as the record because of the often used picking and open chords.
Would be interesting to hear what drummers and bassplayers think is the hardest too. As a drummer i think Deliverance is the hardest.

Would be interesting to hear what drummers and bassplayers think is the hardest too. As a drummer i think Deliverance is the hardest.

I'm a guitar player, but I also have a bass that I play around with. So, first I wanted to play something cool off the first 2 albums, but it was 6 string and I only have a 4 string. Then I tried learning Ghost Of Perdition, and I have to say, it's not that difficult. I mean, I've only learned 7 minutes of it, and what I know is far from perfect, but I've only been tried a few days, and like I said, I'm a mediocre at best bass player.
And just from looking at the tabs, the Morningrise ones look more intimidating...

I'm a guitar player, but I also have a bass that I play around with. So, first I wanted to play something cool off the first 2 albums, but it was 6 string and I only have a 4 string. Then I tried learning Ghost Of Perdition, and I have to say, it's not that difficult. I mean, I've only learned 7 minutes of it, and what I know is far from perfect, but I've only been tried a few days, and like I said, I'm a mediocre at best bass player.
And just from looking at the tabs, the Morningrise ones look more intimidating...

Hehe yeah that´s what i thought, there´s some intricate bass stuff on Morningrise. I guess it wouldn´t work very well to play bass to that album with a pick.

Hehe yeah that´s what i thought, there´s some intricate bass stuff on Morningrise. I guess it wouldn´t work very well to play bass to that album with a pick.

I don't even think it almost possible to play that stuff with a pick... even Ghost Of Perdition seems extremely hard with a pick - which is why I play with my fingers. The only real issue I have is that I get tired relatively fast (after playing the song 2-3 times), but it's getting better.

Still Life is the hardest in all regards, it has the most intricate fingerpicking and the nastiest solos (ex White Cluster). As far as rhythm guitar goes, The Moor is probably the hardest, and as far as learning everything in the song goes White Cluster might be the hardest. Deliverance is probably second-hardest album-wise.

Btw, I finally finished tabbing Karma, it's on powertabs.net if anyone wants it ><

How hard is Serenity Painted Death to play? That riffs behind the "ripped from my embrace" and "white faced, haggard grin" parts sound pretty crazy, though I don't play guitar much so I could be mistaken.

The rythym guitars on Deliverance and BWP are quite easy, they are just simpel chords most of the time..
I can play 10 songs, but I really only know the easy ones.. I always do the easy songs first, and moving upwards :p

The hardest song I can play is, Still day I think.. Mainly because of the FingerPicking..

fingerpicking is pretty easy for me so still life isn't the hardest
The Lepper Affinity took me some time to learn but i do it pretty smooth
the moor is the hardest i know i thing

Well, Mikael has said that The Moor and Ghost of Perdition are the 2 hardest songs to play live. So I have to agree with everyone that said The Moor.

While we're at The Moor...This is a nice performance (shame about the quality). Check the fingerpicking part = awesomeness

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyjsC9-P6c&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyjsC9-P6c&feature=related[/ame]

On topic. I'm currently playing deliverance, and I can play everything except the clean part (Deliverance thrown back at me...). It's kinda hard LOL

Hmm... The Leper Affinity solo #1 was the first one I learned... not to say I'd nail it perfectly, but it's not THAT hard.