Most difficult metal song to play

Moonlapse said:
Yes but the idea of the thread is to identify the hardest song to play in metal, regardless of musicality. We already know that Opeth dominates most metal bands in a musical sense, which is why we're all here, but your comments really are irrelevant in context of the thread.
OMG. Owned.

Martyr...honestly.

Martyr and Necrophagist is a lot harder than things like symphony x and nevermore.

Michael Romeo and Jeff Loomis use fairly predictable scales, and the solos although fast are phrased in a fairly standard way.

but yeah, martyr riffs and solos....they are just silly, but they are one of the most original metal bands. In the same vein of cynic, atheist and meshuggah. Really amazing.

**Jester** said:
Martyr...honestly.

Martyr and Necrophagist is a lot harder than things like symphony x and nevermore.

Michael Romeo and Jeff Loomis use fairly predictable scales, and the solos although fast are phrased in a fairly standard way.

I think you need to listen to more Romeo. But yes on necro, super fast riffage for entire song is a hand killer.

to whoever said sx isn't that hard to play, I would like to hear you attempt to play one of their songs perfectly from beginning to end, then it will either be tought or you will prove us all wrong and make us look foolish in the eyes of every metal fan in this thread.

other than sx, anything that is fast and takes a lot of endurance is probably extremely tough. I am guessing most brutal death metal falls into that category and shred material.

Great, so this thread is about measuring the penis.
Anyway, not that i would ever learn the most difficult song there is but i think meshuggah songs are very confusing, but maybe not so difficult when you have learned them... then there is the mastrubate soloing that i will never get a grip of, so therefore i play opeth songs.

Godhead's Lament said:
The person will try to challenge himself by trying to learn it. So will some other people.

Actually i made this thread because i was bored and i have thoughts racing in and out of my head at 100 mph constantly. This was just one of the thoughts that passed by my head that caught my attention.

Yngwie Malmsteen loves to play things the hard way. Almost all of his work can be replayed with lot easier equivalent chords. This guy is a showman at first, not necessaraly a musical virtuosis. He's like all the other "G3" guitarists... If you seem to suffer and broke all your finger when playing, you'll be loved by a lot of people.
So i don't think anything by Yngwie shoul be considered as "the hardest to play"...

Do you think you could give any examples of that, Darktran? Because from playing through Blitzkrieg and Rising Force, I haven't managed to find any instances where Yngwie 'long-cuts' his playing. It's all quite natural and most of the time, what I'd use to play the same things.

trickae said:
Also i think vai is crap, if i want to listen to elevator music i'm not gonna fork out dishwashing money earned inbetween classes.

Elevator Music?! Wow dude. I guess it's cool to hate on Vai and Satriani or whatever, but elevator music?

Listen to 'For the Love of God'. There's a ton of feeling in a lot of Vai's playing, which is impressive because it can be during fast or slow parts. I think Yngwie is skilled, but I have yet to hear something by him where I felt emotion.

Darktran, I don't know a single other person in the world who has that opinion, or a single fan of the G3 group that likes them because they seem to hurt themselves. Where did you get that from??

To the guy who challenged people to play a single Symphony X song... the songs themselves are not hard, and the solos, while obviously incredible, aren't as hard to play as other stuff out there.

Lastly, I don't know why Meshuggah keeps getting mentioned, especially in the vein of Cynic. I think that's a pretty silly comparison.

replies

meshuggah - they have sweet rythmic passages, i'll tune down just for playing there stuff and may be old fear factory - a bit of sevendust when no ones lookin as well

why so much hate against vai? I was running real low on cash during my first semester at uni and right after making 40 bucks i blew it all on a vai and satriani cd. I played it a couple of times and didin't like it at all. May be then the whole instrumental vibe never set in or that it made me 'earsick' per se. I just hated the fact that i spent so much time with guitar pro files learnign these licks to a couple of songs here and there and finnally getting their cd's and wanting to burn them.

I have in fact listened to "for the love of god" has a ncie feel to it but i've never felt like listening to vai at any occasion what so ever.

-

being burned? Well i got fed some common sense on this board but i gave up trying to play the hardest crap for a while and just focussed on the music and i guess thats the greates musical turning point i could remember - i was going to reiiterate that but i guess its just random banter promoting song difficulty.

oh well this is what i get for posting outside of the SA forums.

ehhhhehh i'll cut my cock off and eat it raw for anyone who can play the solo part in Necrophagist's Foul Body Autopsy at twice the tempo of the original song,, like i saw Muhammed in a video do it live. Its a wonder his fingers didnt actually break and fall off .