Most difficult metal song to play

Nah, Symphony X really is not that hard...solos are tough but that's it. Songs themselves (besides perhaps Inferno) aren't the hardest ever, and there are harder solos out there - namely Speed Metal Symphony.

Moonlapse said:
Ah someone got in one post ahead of me.

Speed Metal Symphony is probably the track you're after.
Concerto is tougher than SMS. Even Friedman does some nice 6 string arpeggios.

Fermented Offal Discharge isn't too hard. Even I can play it. Necrophagist's stuff is pretty erratic and freeform but I've yet to see it challenge me more than Yngwie or the like.

Btw, I've never heard Concerto, so I'll give it a listen and see.

Spiral Architect - Insect(whole album really), Cynic - I am but a wave to... Are we talking guitar hard or whole band together hard? Symphony X is difficult stuff

Sure. If you're serious then air-mail me a webcam. PM me and I'll give you my address :). Anyway, this isn't about egos! Necrophagist stuff sounds impressive and is technically challenging to a degree but there's definitely harder stuff out there.

whether a metal song is hard to play or not shouldn't make a difference.
You're listening to the song, not how fast they palm mute chugging riffs or how many arps they can pull a second.

Thats why opeth takes the cake - its the music they make not the difficulty behind it.

Yes but the idea of the thread is to identify the hardest song to play in metal, regardless of musicality. We already know that Opeth dominates most metal bands in a musical sense, which is why we're all here, but your comments really are irrelevant in context of the thread.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
How about absolutely anything by Symphony X, EVER?!?

Incantations of the Apprentice :worship: :worship:

This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore was tricky for me to learn, it's a greeeeat song though, absolutely.

LadyValerie said:
Incantations of the Apprentice :worship: :worship:

This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore was tricky for me to learn, it's a greeeeat song though, absolutely.

you can play that song? swizzle. hehe. I tried learning the sweeping section of that song.... the sweeps themselves are not hard, but he does play them rather fast.

hehe, ouch, i read the first post and hit reply - that being my second post on this UM forums - i didn't read everything else after it. If its a battle of difficulty i'd say all the old symphony X songs, racer X (cheesy but difficult), savatage, and children of bodom and lots of it.

I can't just mention one song -
are we looking at just solo's or the overall rythm / song structure?

Also i think vai is crap, if i want to listen to elevator music i'm not gonna fork out dishwashing money earned inbetween classes.

Yeah, Nevermore, CoB... Its all hard for me. I can play the keyboard to a couple bits in Mask Of Sanity, Everytime I Die and Downfall and thats about it. But Im not a keyboardest or guitarist so meh.

Vocals wise, since thats supposably my trade, Cthulhu Dawn and Haunted Shores by CoF were hard when I was younger, but too easy now, and the only song that really challenges me is The Berzerker - Massacre. If anyone can sing that on their own wow. Also, anything by The Locust is pretty damn hard, I can keep up, I just dont have a high voice, or know the lyrics too well!

Opeth is easy to sing to, but obviously if you haven't got a good clean or growling voice the songs could be called difficult, but the vocal patterns are always catchy in Opeth songs, making 'em a lot easier to remember and sing to!