Morningrise part 1

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
Well, I don;t know if anyone remembers, or even cares, but I told you guys a while back I was reviewing three opeth albums as a school project. Well, I did it (a nice wwhile ago,), but seem to have lost the actual word document after my computer got a virus. But I am starting to type it out again, and will post it ins ections for those who want to see it. It has a fairly detailed technical review of Morningrise, MAYH, and Still Life. For today, I present to you:

ADVENT

There may be mistakes, and things left out. If you want to add to things missing, go for it! We can create the ultimate textual opeth listening companion.

This is an overview of three of opeth's greatest works. opeth are a progressive Swedish metal band, who have released 5 albums this far. I will examine the middle three, their stylistic nuances, production techniques, and unique aspects. As you will see, the lack of structure in the songs often make for reviews which look very similar. Thus I have generally don a few songs in depth from each album, so that you can get a general idea of how the rest of the songs will be. from there, I go on to simply alert you to certain interesting techniques or highlights that make Opeth so unique from any other band in existence. It gets fairly detailed, and there are a few terms which should be clarified from the beginning.

Accent:When I refer to this, I refer to drums being hit along in exact (or near) time with a guitar or bass line. See accent.wav

Arpeggio:Refers to a guitar that picks notes in a chord, rather than strumming a chord. See arpeggio.wav

Distorted Vocals: Vocals that are growled.

Clean Vocals: the normal sounding vocals used on the albums.

Tritone: The interval of the devil. It is a chord interval often used in heavy metal to create a dark, evil atmosphere. Opeth often employ chords of this shape(also known as flat fifth chords) to create dissonant chord textures. See tritone.wav

Power Chord: Chords using two or three notes; the root, the fifth, and the octave. These are powerful, heavy sounding chords.

Octave chords: An open sounding chord comprising of the root note and the octave.

Diad/Triad: chords that are comprised of two or three notes, respectively.

Single note: When I refer to single note sections or riffs, I am referring to a guitar that is playing a figure that utilizes one note at a time. It acts like a melody line, but is based more in a rhythmic fashion.

So with these terms out of the way, let us jump into the albums.

Morningrise
Advent(Trac1.mp3)

The album begins with fading in clean guitars with delay. They are playing one chord repeatedly, but switching one note in the chord. In a way, it is constant, yet changing (hehe, DT reference here...). As you will see, this is very true of many of Opeths riffs. Following this we have a drum roll which leads us into a section of distorted guitars starting off playing crunchy power chords, then going into a single note pattern. This repeats a few times, and then everything holds its note and drones out as the bass bwegins a single note run that serves as a transition. It leads directly intoa short acoustic section with a jazzy/funky drum beat with a hypnotic bass line. Then we head back into a distorted guitar riff with one uitar playig rhythm and one playing a single note melody. The drums switch beat after a few repeats, but the harmony and the melody of the guitars both stay the same. Eventually, we reach the point where the guitars hold their last notes in harmony, and the drums roll into a simpler section.

This next section is very medieval sounding, and we get our first taste of singer Mikael Akerfeldts vocals, which are distorted here. They are produced quite dry, with little effects, save for a small amount of reverb. After this section, we have another medieval riff in which 2 distorted guitars play separate single note lines. this is followed by a similar riff that is played in a lower key for variation. After this, the last two sections repeat them,sevelees, and lead us into a sudden stop in everything. There is a brief moment of silence, and tehn we are taken to a totally new section.

This new section is an acoustic guitar playing a folkish arpeggiated riff by itself. Then bass and drums cut in and switch to another guitar riff which is similar in it's structure and dlivery, but is in a different key, and has another guitar which is playing ringing chords. The bass changes it's main function from that of a rhythm device to more of a lead instrument, playing an upfront weaving bassline. The section before this one repeats itself, and we head right back into the section with the weaving bassline, except this time it is played using distoreted electric guitars. It brings itself to an end at the end of one of the repeats of the section, stopping immediately. As soon as it stops, a clean electric guitar with delay begins playing another riff, which is based on the same chords but is in a different timing. Half of it is played cleanly, then it is colored with the sounds of distortion. This continues with two guitars emulating the one guitar by switching the notes they play, and byadding harmonies. It is interesting to note that this sounds nearly exactly ytthe same as the originalriff, though neither guitar is actually playing it. Vocals come in over this section again, but are the same as before interms of everything except lyrics. Even by now it is obvious that the vocal sections are few and far between, Then we have yet another repeat of this riff, but played on clean guitars while a distorted guitar adds atmosphere with volume sweels of notes over it, creating a semi-melody.

Opeth continue with this riff for another 3/4 of a repeat with clean guitars, and as soon as they hit the last 1/4, distorted guitars play it a few more times, and then go in to a new riff. Here, the beat is the same but they manage to switch key a little. But it is still mostly all single note melodies. It ends with heavy chords, which lead to a key in which two guitarts play a short harmonized lead with a backing acoustic(5:50). then guitars switch to acoustic and play around with that lead.

Then there is a switch to a toally different riff altogether. It is arpeggiated chords on a n acoustic guitar, with one guitar distorted and fading in with low long droning notes-adding atmosphere by using cinflcting tones. Clean vocals come in and the drones change notes to compliment the vocals, which are clean with slight reverb. There are no overdubs of the voice as of yet. Ten again we have a return to the clean vocal section heard at 5:50, and leqd back ino the arpegio section which followed it, though the volume swells become more intense until the distorted guitar is in full. At this point it sounds like everything is about to cut in with a really intense heavy section, but then it drones until it is no more, and the clean guitar continues with a lead coming in far back in the mix. Opeth proceed to play three unrelated chords which are accented by the drums, then chords are held, and the drums start up a jazzy beat underneath the ringing chords. In comes a distorted guitar riff, woth two guitars playing fast single note melodies panned left and right with drums accenting the downbeats only. The 2nd time through though, the drums kick into a rhythm rather than an accent mode. There are distorted vocals which come in, and there issome layering and panning of the voclas here as Mikael screams "shadows", we hear it in one speaker, then he screams it again into the other speaker. He continues to sing more distorted vox, and repeats the last line twice, the very last time with a clean vocal harmony with reverb. One vocal holds the note at the end, the other does a melodic run, and a new ruff begins inder that at the same tempo. They just switch up the notes being played.

Now the guitar leads cahnge, and the bassline changes. The lat repeat ends by changing the 3 ending chords of the original riff. These 3 ending chords are actually the end of a new riff that comes in, linking the two together in a strange way. Even though the riff is a different speed and has different chords (save for the last three). There is just guitar playing at fist, then in come drum fills, and the key swithces but plays the same progression. The bass begins to take over here, doing some wild lead runs, and is very up front in the mix. Then it switches back to the original key of the riff with the bass continuing the runs. Then there are chords hit with drum and bass accents. Vocals start screaming on the last accent, and everything kicks back in with a new riff. Again, it is a section of panned distorted guitars playing very different lines. After playing around witht his riff for a while, it just stops suddenly and a new arpeggiated acoustic section starts seamlessly. Clean reverbed vocals comein, and there are eerie volume swelled guitars over the top of it. The speed swithces to a little faster, and the acoustic riff changes, and has a clean lead over it. These two sections play off each otehr for a while, and then the drums start playing rhythm for the riffs, as does bass. They all end on the same note and hold it, as two new acoustics start playing a dueling jazzy.folkish acoustic riff in harmony. They just stop and let their notes ring, and before they have died out, a single acoustic guitar comes in and arpeggiates a minor chord and fades out. This part is quite odd, sounding as if it were stuck in for some odd reason.

And for those who haven't read it yet, here's the review that started this madness, my review of the Moor.

Still Life: In general, every distorted guitar on this is doubled or tripled at least. There is a lot of clarity to the guitar sound, yet is extremely heavy. They used lightly distorted guitars, but piled the ;layers to add heaviness. They are always panned left and reight respectively for a true stereo effect, unless otyewise noted. The drums are miked very precisely, with differ3ent cymbals in different sides of the mix, and the toms and snare all panned in the mix to match their respective positions in a drum kit. Acoustics sound very full bodied and warm, often utilizing reverb for added depth, and are always doubled in stereo, usually with one guitar playing one or two notes differently to distinguish between them. During the acoustic breaks, there are often distorted electric leads, which are nearly always hevily overdubbed with more layers than I care to count, drenched in reverb, and often playing in harmony with one another. The distorted vocals are mixed dry, and are very upfront. The clean vocals are very strong. and upfront. In acoustic sections, they seem to be usually drenchd in reverb, whereas on distorted sections of guitar, they are often much drier, sometimes utilizing a little delay, or an overdub harmonizing with the original vocal line. The bass is mixed somewhat low, but the tones carry through the rest of the mix, so you can distinguish it, but more as a feeling than an actual recognition of notes for the most part. Though at cetain times (most notably when acoustics are playing) the bass jumps through the mix and takes a prominent role. The heavy layers of distorted guitar sometimes seem to drown it, but the acoustics let it breathe.

The Moor

When I listen to music, I have very high expectations of what I want to hear. And the music I truly love meets, and at times, surpasses these expectations. One of the bands that constantly surpasses these expectations is Opeth. Their latest album, entitled Still Life is a large musical journey, with over an hour of wonderful music that tells a single story of a man who had been banished from his town because of religious beliefs. Years later, he has returned, with an intent to find the love of his life who had been living there all those years. The return of this man is where the epic tale begins, in the form of the song entitled "The Moor".

I absolutely adore this song (as well as the rest of the album) because of the amazingly enoyable sounds that this band pulls off. They are by no means conventional, perhaps being even comparable to experimental composers, who stray from the "normal" idea of making music. They utilize many varied musical techniques, including extreme dynamics with sudden "surprise" contrasts. There ia a heavy usage of dissonant chords to establish feelings of the character portayed in the story. All the keys used in the song are minor, which conveys the dark message and feelings perfectly. Another interesting note is the way they wield keys like battleaxes they have trained with for years. Opeth blends seemingly unrelated keys together seamlessly. If you are not totally focussed on the music, you wouldn't notice the odd changes or their use of unconventional chord progressions. From the key of Em-Am-Gm-Dm, and to chord progressions such as Am-Fm-Am-C#m, we have a musical experience that is a daunting one to the average listener to say the least. Many people enjoy repetition in music, and something predictable, but Opeth is neither. And that is what I like. Creativity, originality, brilliant imagery from the music and lyrics, and most of all, enjoyable music. But if you take the plunge, and analyze what is going on, not only will you be taken away by an emotional and captivating song, but you will also be amazed at the talent and creativity, and the sheer genius required to compose this magnificent masterpiece.

As you may be able to tell, I am a musician of a number of years, and am thoroughly impressed by the technical musical aspects of the song. However, what pushes this song, and album so far ahead of others is the fact that when I listen to it, I am no longer a listener. I am actually involved in the music. I believe I am the character in the story. I hear his thoughts, and the music lets me feel them. I watch his steps in the story, and I am taken away with him on his journey to find the one he loves. It is not easy to appreciate at first, but upon multiple listens, it begins to make sense, and eventually you see exactly everything as it happens, both in the lyrics and the music. It is perhaps the closest to an altered reality we can ever come to, and without drugs or dreams, to have an almost "out-of-body" experience is something that most people can only wish for. But this song works every time. To show you what I mean, I'd like to give a quick analysis of the sections of music and what they mean to me.

A)The song starts off with a mysterious, dreamlike, confused, clean jazzy guitar mixed with a lightly distorted guitar. There is no specific rhythm or timing to this section, is repetitive, almost a rocking, hynotic motion, and immediately induces you in to another world, preparing the mood for what is too come. The extremely unusual melody is a combination of two clean electric guitars, and two distorted electrics playing independent melodies, that are seemingly of no particular key. But even from the beginning, we have some musical genius and mind trickery going on. The section is arranged in such a way, that each time it repeats, it sounds as though it moves a step higher, though in actuality, it stays exactly the some. It tricks the mind, and you are never quite sure if you are crazy or not, thinking the section is constatnly moving up a step, but never quite sure. With nearly two minutes of this uneasiness, you are thoroughly prepared for the intense ride that is about to come.

B)(1:50)Next, a mellow, acoustic interlude with three acoustic guitars and a bass effortlessly jump into the fray, leaving the unesy confusion behind. When I hear this section, I am extremely relieved, and embrace this new section with extreme eagerness. The rest of the world becomes obsolete to me at this point, and I am entirely captivated, a slave to the music. The music itself is a single arpreggiated acoustic rhythm mixed with a wonderful leading melody, reassuring a mood of something resembling sadness.

C)(2:30) Next, all hell breaks loose, as distorted, multi-layed guitars kick in with drums and bass, playing off the rhythm established by the acoustic interlude of section B. This mid paced aggressive polyphonic rhythm uses some single note melodic rhythms on the guitar, with bass backing them up.

D)(3:20)Then there is a quick transition and the pace picks up using a variety of of intense drum work, and odd dissonant chords in an almost atonal melody, inducing a mood of pure hatred. I hear the chords, and my teeth clench at the almost horrid sounding crunch the produce. Yet somehow, it is still quite beautiful, and human sounding. Close interval notes and tritones play off each other vicioualy, seeming evil, powerful, and hate-filled all in one. It perfectly establishes the frame of mind the song's character (which I have become by this point in the song) is in. The growled vocals scream one line and leave the last word trailing, and the another layered voice cuts in with the next line beofre the other voice is finished.

E)(4:12)Next, the fury continues, with another strange, start-stop guitar rhythm, with dissonant ascending chromatic chords, as well as angered vocals, which are contrasted by lightly soaring melody lines flowing over the top of the chaos. Then a single guitar melody comes over the top. Then building more, a harmony joins this lead. Its all about building.

F)(4:57)Now, wildly rolling, arpeggiated guitar lines are introduced, with beautiful, soaring, harmonized male vocals pushing forth messages of despair, only to be followed by a confused lead full of odd passing tones that add to the chaos. The vocals sing "Pale touch, writhing in the embers. Damp mud, burning In my eyes. All the faces turned away, and all would sneer at my demise". I am the character, and I feel the sorrow, the despair, and the utter hate and rage toward those who have cast me out. The riff then switches slightly, and a lead guitar plays a twisted melody over the top.

G)(5:57)Suddenly, all is quiet, save for a lone acoustic guitar, solemly palying it's unconventional, ringing chords. The beauty of this section is that it leaves you feeling the inner emotions of sadness, and sorrow, loneliness. Yet you feel something isn't right abouth these feelings. The strange mix of minor chords playing off each other just don't sound like music most people are accustomed to. Something isn't right.....Then you realize why. The multilayered instruments and drums kick in again, indicating a sudden change, a change from calm confusion back to fury.....The character has serious issues, and is in a blinding rage. Though inside you feel sorrowed, the emotions bursting on the outside cannot be contained. And we have the rage, the fury, the outburst! It is so wonderfully developed, that it must be heard to be believed.

H)(6:58)A weird minor chord figure appears, playing around on a g minor chord, playing other notes but always with the one chord ringing maintaing a common tonality. Growled vocals. Then switch to clean harmonized vox

I)(7:21)Then The segue into a state of hopeless frustration. Things slow down, with several interloping guitar lines melodically twisting you into the characters unusual mind, only to fade out, some simple acoustic guitars playing the same lines. By now you feel almost exhausted, having been on such a wild rollercoaster of emotions, and things stay quite calm for a while. It stays this way as you dig deeper inside of the character.

J)(8:28) Another seamless section change, and in come sorrow filled vocals crying "there is no firgiveness in these eyes for any of you but one. Dispel the mist for now. Melinda is the reason why I've come". The passion and imagery in this section is possibly the most captivating I have ever heard in any song. Not even films have come close to capturing an image and a feeling so well. It is absolutely beautiful.

K,L,M) (9:03)There is an intricate and beautiful acoustic interlude again, with graceful harmonized vocals that are mimicked by the guitar, with another different melody over the top, though no words are sung. It progresses through two more modulating sections of intricate acoustic guitar work, and ends up back at a section from an earlier part in the song.

G again) (10:05)We have the solemn acoustic part again, which this time has soft, but irregular breathing over the top of it. You can feel tension building, and your adrenaline builds up. And again, we are suddenly hit by the contrasting multi-layered guitar, bass, and drum onslaught that brings back the fury and rage from before.

H)(10:21) This section is repeated again, and reminds you of all that has happened before in the song. However, this time, the section just stops suddenly, and unexpectedly, leaving you hanging, craving more, and full of suspense. The next track kicks off in the same key, with a slightly different section, and the rest of the album progresses from there.

So after this in depth look at the song, it is clear how powerful the song is to me. I enjoy the wonderful tempo changes, the odd chord structures, and the unconventional chord progressions. The polyphonic guitar lines add ethereal dreamlike qulaities to many parts of the song, and the emotion conveyed through the instruments are uncanny. But most of all, I enjoy the fact that when I hear this piece of music, I am no longer listening to the song, but I am actually in it. I can say no more to describe how I feel about this, it is simply an experience that can never be fully put into words, but I hope you will listen to it, and will be touched by it on the same level I have.

Then, a return to the acoustic interlude before....and into the same agressive part as before. Then, a shockingly suitable key change to Gm, with hate filled vocals, interspersed with wonderful cleanly harmonized vocals again. The song ends suddenly, leaving you craving for more. Then you must listen to the next song, the second chapter of the story.

Till Fjalls; I'm just as amazed as I was reading
your review of The Moor when you posted it,
"back in the days" >:eek:)

I just have to say, I have no idea how you do
it!?!! hehe... All my respect! :eek:) I'm looking
forward to the other parts! Hurry up and post!

Thanks guys! Well, it was a school project, so I had to do it either way. I didn't let my personal emotions invade most of the reviews though (except the moor of course!).

I think it can open up a new appreciation for the music too, because I'm sure we all hear and love different things we hear in their music. And it may be a good study guide for aspiring songwriters!

Wow, dude! You made me consider things I hadn't before. I remember the one you did on the Moor that was awesome. Now you've pulled another one off. Well done!

A+