Most insipring, evil, beautiful Opeth riffs...opinions?

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
we all know that when it comes to writing guitar riffs, mikael is...well...great.

i believe that the most evil sounding opeth riffs are opening riff to the lepper afinity, and the third main riff in Serenity Painted death, if you have heard that, then you know what i am talking about. Also The Moor

beautiful.....hmmm....Hope Leaves....the clean part in A Fair judgement
-pretty much all of the damnation riffs are beautiful. there are just too many

inspiring - Demon of the Fall - That song brings out strange feelings in me. when i listen to the guitars at the beginning and in the verse, i feel like the world warps around me and i am a sad, power hungry god. strange.......i love it.

those are just a few of my favs

The last few minutes of In Mist She Was Standing.
The first riff in Serenity Painted Death
The 'Pull Me Down Again'-riff in The Drapery Falls.

I love the sort of bluesy lead at about 5:07 in A Fair Judgement...my friends look at me oddly because I get excited when I realise it's around five minutes into the song...many pair of pants have been soiled:D...

Also the long acoustic section in Blackwater Park rules...

Wreath is an evil song indeed, but as far as inspiring I'd have to say The Funeral Portrait and Advent.

Beautiful....The Leper Affinity, The Moor, Moonlapse Vertigo (a little into the song where he does Lopez does the awesome percussion thing - u guys kno...), and last but not least Bleak (all of it - but especially the cleanly sung parts).

The climax of Wreath is very evil.
The ending riffs of A Fair Judgement is evil.
Blackwater Park (the whole song) is damn evil.
And finally Black Rose Immortal at 16:35 is evil..especially coming off the acoustics leading up to it.

The first that comes to mind is in Face of Melinda when it goes heavy. It's just a kickass riff.

But....EVERY riff in The Night And The Silent Water. Just.....haunting.

Inspiring is definately when Face of Melinda goes heavy. Probably what I find to be their most emotional song part.

Another kind of beautiful riff is the end of Demon of the Fall... its really easy to play on guitar, so it makes a great-vocal verse and it's great fun to sing along to, even though if we listened to ourselves we all prolly sound like shit :lol:

there is no shortage of beautiful Opeth riffs, like many have said, Damnation is chalk full of amazing riffs, like Windowpane, Hope Leaves and In My Time of Need giving proper respect also to To Rid the Disease. Other beauties come in the more depressing melancholy formula that is songs like A Fair Judgement, Harvest, and To Bid You Farewell, which has made some folks i know cry.

as for evil riffs, look at the beginning of Advent, that is a more Bloodbathian side of the boys, very hard edged and deathy. also look at My Arms Your Hearste as an album and try and tell me that shit isn't evil as fuck.

haunting? that is a simple one...that break in By the Pain I See In Others that sounds like a fuckin carousel...its like you are in the circus from hell and Satan is about to play croquet with your insides. truely masterful!

Advent is full of them. The end of Wreath, that one in the beginning in SPD (starts after a moment of silence), April Ethereal, yeah.. BWP at 8:00-9:00. And of course the 2nd riff in DOTF.