Does anyone else think that Opeth isn't really uh..

Sinistas said:
It's "you're". You know, Soilwork was my favorite band, but when they put out FNF, I thought it totally sucked. Did I bitch about it? No. I moved on. Nice to see that most people would rather fight the losing fight...

You're comparing soilwork and the shit that was FNF to Deliverance? Come on. The first 3 albums were great, but the disparity between FNF and what came previously far outweighs the difference found between BWP and Deliverance.

And besides, it wasn't my intention to dispute the opinoins that Deliverance/Damnation sucked. I don't agree, but you can't really convince someone something is good. The problem I had, and still have, is what you are calling a fanboy. Just because someone likes Deliverance, for whatever reason, does not make them a fanboy so long as they can defend it. If someone said it was good just because it is Opeth and opeth is the best thing that has ever graced this planet then okay, i'll go with fanboy. But I don't think that, nor do I find most Opeth fans to think that.

Did you ever consider that Deliverance is different enough from the other albums that maybe you were expecting the wrong thing? Mikael doesn't seem to think it sucks, neither do the fans that go nuts at every Opeth show when they play it. And it isn't fair to label someone a fanboy just for defending their opinion.

fadingessence, you've got me wrong...while I'm not the hugest Deliverance fan, I dig Damnation a lot. I was pointing the FNF thing at those who would rather spend what little time they have on earth bitching about how they don't like the new Opeth album...I just think one could do something a little more constructive with their time. *nod*

FNF was a pretty big disappointment, haha. it depends, sometimes im in the mood for it, but usually i'd prefer to hear steelbath or chainheart. as for deliverance, as you can see from my user name, i quite enjoy the album. i understand it's not as complex as MAYH, SL, or BWP, but shit, it's still a fuckin sick, heavy album. and damnation...how can you not like this? haha, it's so different from what they've done and so good. although opeth only did this experiment for one album, and will return to crazyness the next album, another band who did this, but PERMANTLY, is cave in. if anyone has ever heard them, they're really good. they went from like nasty metal to fuckin melodic slow stuff with singing..yet it's so weird cause almost all the old fans, LOVE the new shit. it just sounds so good. give cave in a listen, if you haven't

I have been listening Opeth only from last winter, and the first album i bought from them was Deliverance. Loved it immediately (although starter Wreath is quite a boring song). I now own all the albums except Orchid and Damnation.
I can clearly see the developement of the band from the early days to this point.

I think it's pretty futile to start analyzing band like in this topic. Because all that counts are the songs. If they are good, they're good. You don't know until you hear. You can always speculate "has Mikael drained out this and this kind of songwriting style". And if you listen music only analyzing the parts of the song and what new is in it, I think it's kind of sad. Just hop into the stream of music. Let it flow through you. I don't mean that if you know music theory and play instruments, that you are NEVER allowed to listen the songs from that point of view. But don't let your knowledge affect your music experience too much.

It's funny that though Opeth is a very good band and one of my favourites, they have have never IMO created a all-killer album. In every album I own there are songs that I skip, but then there are some songs that absolutely blow my mind.

Moonlapse said:
You're obviously not gonna get fans at gigs that don't like the music :p. Besides, it's hard to miss a whole Opeth gig, based only on the fact that they'll play material from one strike-out album.

Well no, but Opeth plays songs from every album and you CAN tell when the crowd isn't in to a song. I always noticed the opposite effect with deliverance and a fair judgement, people went nuts, so obviously someone liked it and I doubt it was just the fanboys.

Sinistas - ok, got it. And i agree actually.

Koichi said:
You're a fag IMO!

Shows you know shit because anyone who listens to a wide variety of music and not just death metal would know how talented PT are. If anyone doesn't think PT is up to par please explain why dont just say you don't like them...btw that reply was a typical response from an idiot who doesn't have shit to say about music. k thx

I was calling you a fag because you wrote "IMO!"

also fag, please note my favorite two bands are Anathema and Amorphis, before you go making assumptions, get your facts straight.

your a fag, k thx

The reason I'm not huge on D1 is because I did think they got a little lazy. They only come up with five heavy songs. Wreath is not among their best. It feels stretched out, and it's too repetitive. Deliverance suffers from a little repitition, but it makes up for that with the fact that it flows and is just a brilliant song. I don't get what people think is so great about AFJ. The intro and outro are boring. FAF is nice. MA kicks ass, but still has a repetitive intro and outro. BTPISIO has a nice intro, but the rest of the song doesn't do much. Too many of the songs seem forcedly long. There aren't enough new ideas. BWP gives you six heavy songs, and they're all different. D1 gives you five, and three of them are bland and not up to their standards. I don't care about different stuff as long as it's creative and sounds good.

(IMO) They made a huge turn with MAYH, and then refined that idea up to BWP.. Deliverance, to me, is a (small) step backwards.. Damnation is just a side-project, as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they find some new innovation and make a great record :)

Koichi said:
I was calling you a fag because you wrote "IMO!"

also fag, please note my favorite two bands are Anathema and Amorphis, before you go making assumptions, get your facts straight.

your a fag, k thx

Thx for naming those bands as your favorite because they all fall under metal...once again proving you obviously don't listen to anything but metal. Nice try though pal and my assumptions were correct. I don't need to resort to names either because you make yourself look stupid enough. Did you even think before you replied?!?!?! lol

LOL! You like wide variety of music, so therefore you can be the judge OF EVERYTHING! Do you rock my socks? Oh yes you do! Teach me! Teach me to be a better person and teach me so i could understand music like you do...PERFECTLY!!

Is the new Anathema death or black metal? This will be my first lesson!! I'm SO excited!

Thanks for the compliments but I dont think I can do anything else except help you realize that metal isnt all thats out there. I am really lookin forward to Anathema's special brand of doom. Considering they might be pulling away from their very nice prog phase. I never thought someone would be saying the kind of things you have about me. Im just flattered. I had no idea that Anathema would ever experiment with Death or Black metal but I'm sure it would be interesting either way. If you were being sarcastic, I'd much rather you talk about music and not displaying some half-ass wit.