Opeth. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2006
Hopewell, VA
Just wanted to give some thoughts and feelings of my own which hatched when I began listening to Opeth. I am in absolute awe at how skilled these group of guys are. Back when I was much younger (12-16) I used to think bands like Deftones, Tools, NIN were extremely diverse and skilled. I still enjoy listening to these bands but Opeth has definately opened my ears to a new sound. I don't really like saying a band is a certain genre because quite frankly the nature of having genres ruins progression. Either way it is really all a matter of opinion. Opeth makes me think about Metallica actually. Many people cried foul once Metallica had changed it's image to more of that of a Pop band.

Saying that song's had went from "True Metal" to Pop. These same song's while not as musically diverse as Opeth's are similiar in nature. The inclusion of a Piano. The Orchestra type of sound. I have went back and listened to a lot of Metallica since discovering Opeth and realized what type of sound I really am after. This sound fucking owns. I don't know what to call it. I don't WANT to call it any certain genre.

Anyway, there is really no point to my post other then to congratulate Opeth on being a great band and to maybe gather a few thoughts and opinions on the band as well. What did YOU (The brand new Opeth listener) think of this band when you first heard them. I'd rather those that hadn't listened to a similiar type of band as Opeth respond to this question.

Later.

i agree completely with your reluctance to name opeth in a genre... trying to place it in a box cheapens great music, because then you have to compare it. i also had never heard anything remotely similar to opeth before i got into them and i feel exactly the same. the first first time i heard them though, i hated oeth because i was about 12 and laughed at the death vox. but since ive grown a brain and listened to them again, ive really come to appreciate the music and even accepted the death vox as part of that music.

thank you...and i'm sure that mike appreciates me writing all of the music for him, and then going out of my way to send the demo tapes.

but seriously, i'm in the same boat as you...opeth was a gateway band for me.

When I was a youngster, Led Zeppelin was "that" band. When I first heard the Immigrant Song when it was 1st played on the radio (around 1970), I was hooked. For over 30 years, no band came close to Led Zeppelin from my perspective.

Until Opeth. Now, there are no equals.

Yeah, OP, I agree with you about Opeth.

I too listened to Deftones and Tool before Opeth. I must say that Tool still kicks ass (not equal with Opeth, but not TO far behind), while, Deftones, well now that realized the lack of musicianship that they hold and it's pretty horrible.

When I first listened to Opeth (first riff of "the drapery falls") I said to myself: "Hey man, you've just discovered an new Music-universum!"

The first 4 Songs of "Blackwater Park" have revolutionsed my view of music, at all.

There is no band like Opeth. They are fucking amazing. I don't think there is a band out there that is equal to Opeth.

JoeVice said:
thank you...and i'm sure that mike appreciates me writing all of the music for him, and then going out of my way to send the demo tapes.

but seriously, i'm in the same boat as you...opeth was a gateway band for me.
haha nice.. well
yah.. i went through my olld cds i had first burned like when i was 12, and its all really bad punk music, like blink 182, greenday and al that shit.. and on my second cd, there was onne song, and that was Demon of the Fall.. demon got me started on Opeth.. and hearing that song again made me go out and get back to my opethness.. which pwnz all other bands ive ever listened to.. nothing comes close to the greatness