Opeth is dead

Opeth is obviously not dead, but it has changed over the years. Every release up to Still Life showed signs of evolution, growth, and some fairly significant musical differences between them (I've been a fan since right before My Arms, Your Hearse). After Still Life, I think the band settled creatively but at the same time I think it's in a bit of a creative rut. I have and listen to all the Opeth albums, and there are very good songs on all of the post-Still Life albums but stylistically they are all of the same mould. GR had its strong songs but doesn't represent some new stage in the band's evolution by any means.

I don't understand why the original poster said "Opeth is dead" based on the latest album which sounds a lot like the preceding two or three albums. I was also a little dismayed at how many stupid one-line bashes he received from people who apparently think Opeth can do no wrong and that anyone who disagrees should go live in a cave with bin Laden and everyone else who "hates America." After that I read some good, well-thought out posts but I was surprised how many "Stans" Opeth has.

I'm hoping Mikael does something more interesting and fresh with the new album. Maybe he'll be able to change the (feeble) minds of people like thread starter and prove to them Opeth is not dead.

i agree to some extent.But many people seem to measure the quality of opeth in how much they progress musically between each album,and not so much in the actual quality of the music.That is a phenomenom which i´ve never seen with other bands,where changing in style is mostly being seen as something negative.

no way!, there is ghost of perdition, grand conjuration, baying of the hounds...

this thread is about opinion. no 1 can say whether a band sucks or not. to us, we think pop music sucks and metal is the shit. millions have other opinions. i personally love opeth but i can understand why people don't. to each his own, but don't make absolute statements when the whole thing is based upon personal taste.

Man, you guys are touchy. I was pretty discouraged when I got D&D but at least Deliverance has grown on me yet there are a lot of parts I don't like. Overall we all have things that we are going to love and hate about our favorite bands but jeez, think about when Metallica put out St. Anger. I don't know for sure but I'll guess if anyone ragged on it then there was a huge forum shitstorm. People need to post what they would say to someone in person or at least imagine how mature/immature it would be if they did. Honestly, I really dislike Ghost Reveries and all these "new" and old Opeth fans love it. I think it is a badly written album which lacks the artistic integrity that started with the first two records and just lacked that magic that pulled me into them. I hated death/black metal but Opeth was one of the bands that has shown me it can be very artistic. I now listen to many different styles. You just have to search more than the radio and tv. Don't think that your favorite band can do no wrong, but also state your opinions. I wouldn't mind discussing why I don't like the album with someone who loves it and thinks its their best work. Ghost of Perdition is the most interesting song I think but I hate that dorky "devil cracked the moon" vocal line as well as the music behind it. I think the album typifies Opeth and honestly the keyboard stuff is tasteless and lacks direction. I like the Isolation Years but it sounds premature and underdeveloped. It should've been longer in my opinion and Fuck Atonement. I hate American Idol, Talent show, or whatever you call that a cappella singing. Sorry for the long post but if you want to discuss this, I'm interested.

Idiocy is what prevented me from posting here in the first place, but hey... This is an internet forum, there are idiots, but there are also bright, informed and awesome fans as well, just like all other forums regardless of the subject.

Regarding the drums, Mikael stated in an interview that he normally writes the basic drums, then Lopez would take those ideas and embellish them with his own style.

Of course Lindgren and Lopez were/are an integral components of the Opeth sound and they'll be missed, but does anyone really think Mikael would settle for crappy replacements? Hell no! Based on Axe's abilities, it sounds like he's playing the existing material perfectly, and it truly will be exciting to hear how his own style takes the band to the next level, as he's an incredible drummer and has similar musical roots to Mikael. I don't really know much about Fredrik Åkesson, but if Mikael selected him as a replacement and also commented that he's one of the top 3 metal guitarists in Sweden, you have to sit back with a little ease knowing that Mikael made the best decision for Opeth.

Everyone needs to stop worrying and speculating and just be comfortable knowing that the next Opeth album is going to be awesome.

Also, what's the big deal about someone getting a haircut? Drop the elitist, longhair bullshit, people.

dont get me wrong, i love the new opeth :headbang:

every album has its own thing, i feel with these one, it had much to do with keys and alternate tunings, something opeth hadnt used EXENTENSIVELY before. It felt fresh. However, what i didnt like about it was that it sounded so damn polished, but thats a matter of taste. Im one of those "still life" fans

Worried? No. Excited? Yes indeed. I think the addition of 2 new members and extended use of Per's keyboard playing makes for a possible new sound and direction. Opeth isnt Opeth if it isnt exploring new ideas. I'm as excited for it as I ever have been for any album.

Oh my god guys!!! On a tour through Sweden, Opeth got into a BUS ACCIDENT and now their BASSIST is DEAD!!! Soon they'll release an album called "...And Justice For All" and it will be SO obvious that they've SOLD OUT!!!111 Thrash metal will never be the same...

/\
Humor for any of you dudes too angry to get it.

But honestly, my first Opeth album was Ghost Reveries, and when I heard it, it was like an entire world had been opened up for me, and every time I hear an Opeth album, regardless of how old it might be, I return to that world and it's no less beautiful with every listen.

If you guys want to cry about how you're afraid of change, or you've outgrown a phase in your life then feel free, but don't do it here. The Opeth forums are full of enough negativity as it is.

Love and peace,

Rorix

What I mean't was that he does a huge amount of material and picks up the best of the best.

that's actually how most famous people in music history did it also ;) .. the people we consider genius in music history were very productive and so produced more good stuff than others who were less productive.

hmm, just a remark :)