Opeth. Thanks.

tHEIR is no problem here. I listened too ganstas paradise to when i wuz twelv? Eye'm guessing that like alot of peepel on hear, I to got into oPETH thru Blackwater Pawrk! Anyways, no nead to get all wriled up for a spelling eror or too.

blimey said:
Because I don't know the difference! :loco:

Erm...ok I’ll try to explain its best I can. I'm not being condescending but simple sentences that work with only one subject; object and predicate are better for helping someone understand subtle differences like this.

<to> is used in sentences like this:

"I am going to the shop"

However <too> is used like this

"The shop is too busy"

There might not seem to be a difference but remember these are homophones so they never mean the same thing.

<to> is used in conjunction with present participle verbs e.g. "going to"/"walking to/ jumping to.

<too> on the other hand is used in conjunction with adjectives e.g. too blue/too crowded/ too scary/too quiet(ly). It simply adds to the adjective.

For example if you were to say, "This room is too crowded" it means same thing as "this room is crowded" both sentences are in declarative mood however one means more than the other.

The only place where the two should really meet is in that certain variety of quiz questions where you get something "red is to blue as black is to ...?"

Does that make any sense? Sorry about the lack of relevance to the thread, just the English language (and its massive problems and loopholes) fascinates me.

Spelling mistakes don't tend to bother me much so long as I can understand what you're saying, but grammatical and syntactical mistakes (if repeated often) tend to piss me off. Plus trying to teach someone else stuff like this allows to work out how much of I actually understand myself.

A2 English language and all that.

angelofdeath9308 said:
tHEIR is no problem here. I listened too ganstas paradise to when i wuz twelv? Eye'm guessing that like alot of peepel on hear, I to got into oPETH thru Blackwater Pawrk! Anyways, no nead to get all wriled up for a spelling eror or too.

It's not spelling. It's grammar and syntax.

Different.

From answers

too
adv.
In addition; also: He's coming along too.
More than enough; excessively: She worries too much.
To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent.
Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
Informal. Indeed; so: You will too do it!
[Middle English to, from Old English t&#333;, to, furthermore.]

USAGE NOTE Some language critics have objected to the use of not too as an equivalent of not very, as in She was not too pleased with the results. In many contexts this construction is entirely idiomatic and should pass without notice: It wasn't too long ago that deregulation was being hailed as the savior of the savings and loan industry. It was not too bright of them to build in an area where rock slides occur. In these cases not too adds a note of ironic understatement.&#8226;Negation of too by can't may sometimes lead to ambiguities, as in You can't check your child's temperature too often, which may mean either that the temperature should be checked only occasionally or that it should be checked as frequently as possible.&#8226;Too meaning &#8220;in addition&#8221; or &#8220;also&#8221; is sometimes used to introduce a sentence: There has been a cutback in federal subsidies. Too, rates have been increasing. There is nothing grammatically wrong with this usage, but some critics consider it awkward.

to
prep.

In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city.
Towards: turned to me.

Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom.
To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction.
With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health.
Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality.
In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows.
In front of: stood face to face.
Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar.
Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter.
In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road.
As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune.
Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint.
In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities.
As compared with: a book superior to his others.

Before: The time is ten to five.
Up till; until: worked from nine to five.

For the purpose of: went out to lunch.
In honor of: a toast to the queen.

Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to go.
Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to.

Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary.
Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.

adv.
In one direction; toward a person or thing: owls with feathers wrong end to.
Into a shut or closed position: pushed the door to.
Into a state of consciousness: The patient came to.
Into a state of action or attentiveness: sat down for lunch and fell to.
Nautical. Into the wind.

So they can both be used as adverbs. I love and hate English.

The reason to is so confusing is because it's one half of "to be" which is the most confusing verb in entire world. If you look in a dictionary there is more written on "to be" than any other word/term/lexeme. Basically because it's so ambiguous.

Powers said:
From answers

too
adv.
In addition; also: He's coming along too.
More than enough; excessively: She worries too much.
To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent.
Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
Informal. Indeed; so: You will too do it!
[Middle English to, from Old English t&#333;, to, furthermore.]

USAGE NOTE Some language critics have objected to the use of not too as an equivalent of not very, as in She was not too pleased with the results. In many contexts this construction is entirely idiomatic and should pass without notice: It wasn't too long ago that deregulation was being hailed as the savior of the savings and loan industry. It was not too bright of them to build in an area where rock slides occur. In these cases not too adds a note of ironic understatement.&#8226;Negation of too by can't may sometimes lead to ambiguities, as in You can't check your child's temperature too often, which may mean either that the temperature should be checked only occasionally or that it should be checked as frequently as possible.&#8226;Too meaning &#8220;in addition&#8221; or &#8220;also&#8221; is sometimes used to introduce a sentence: There has been a cutback in federal subsidies. Too, rates have been increasing. There is nothing grammatically wrong with this usage, but some critics consider it awkward.

to
prep.

In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city.
Towards: turned to me.

Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom.
To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction.
With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health.
Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality.
In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows.
In front of: stood face to face.
Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar.
Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter.
In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road.
As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune.
Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint.
In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities.
As compared with: a book superior to his others.

Before: The time is ten to five.
Up till; until: worked from nine to five.

For the purpose of: went out to lunch.
In honor of: a toast to the queen.

Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to go.
Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to.

Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary.
Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.

adv.
In one direction; toward a person or thing: owls with feathers wrong end to.
Into a shut or closed position: pushed the door to.
Into a state of consciousness: The patient came to.
Into a state of action or attentiveness: sat down for lunch and fell to.
Nautical. Into the wind.

So they can both be used as adverbs. I love and hate English.

The reason to is so confusing is because it's one half of "to be" which is the most confusing verb in entire world. If you look in a dictionary there is more written on "to be" than any other word/term/lexeme. Basically because it's so ambiguous.
How did this go as a thank you note thing for opeth's music.. to a lesson on the proper usage of too/to :confused: :confused: :confused:

The first song I ever heard by Opeth was Benighted. I was awe-struck. It is quite possibly the most beautiful guitar and vocal work I had ever heard. I decided to explore this band and of course the "heavier" Opeth. I to laughed my ass off when I first heard the "death Vox." But, I was patient and looked at the vocals as a form of musical instrument(which they are) and would not, could not dismiss this band simply because of "laughable" growls. In time, I have come to not only like the vocals, but appreciate them. Simply put, there is no other music composed like Opeth's. IMHO, while they are categorized as a "death metal" band, ther really is so much more going on within the musical stucture. In this case, my patience rewarded me!! Peace.