HELP: What album should i get today?

Focus is as you have noticed is one of those albums that always appears in discussions as is Suffocations Pierced From Within.
Look all the albums you mentioned are obvious classics.
With Nile however, call me a wimp or whatever. Man that is the heaviest stuff I have heard to the point of unlistenable. I know Suffocation is brutal but it is less dense in the production department especially Pierced. Maybe its that oppressive Egyptian thing that freaks me out. Anyway from a technical standpoint the latest Nile is almost beyond comprehension
My favourite disc of late is Nightrage. Brilliant melo-death, and the best damn manic death vocals I have heard for a long time. I just dig it when you can understand the guy and he sounds like he is about to go totally fuckin insane. Great stuff. To that end anyone like the vocalist off the first Malevolent Creation disc. he always sounded like he need some serious therapy.
The Opeth catalogue well is no-brainer. Just get it when you can.
Enjoy.

skyshock1 said:
None of those.

You need Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.

Then get In Defiance of Existance from Old Man's Child.

You'll be kept busy for MONTHS!

Both are ok but u'll get rid of them imo..

narcisco said:
Focus is as you have noticed is one of those albums that always appears in discussions as is Suffocations Pierced From Within.
Look all the albums you mentioned are obvious classics.
With Nile however, call me a wimp or whatever. Man that is the heaviest stuff I have heard to the point of unlistenable. I know Suffocation is brutal but it is less dense in the production department especially Pierced. Maybe its that oppressive Egyptian thing that freaks me out. Anyway from a technical standpoint the latest Nile is almost beyond comprehension
My favourite disc of late is Nightrage. Brilliant melo-death, and the best damn manic death vocals I have heard for a long time. I just dig it when you can understand the guy and he sounds like he is about to go totally fuckin insane. Great stuff. To that end anyone like the vocalist off the first Malevolent Creation disc. he always sounded like he need some serious therapy.
The Opeth catalogue well is no-brainer. Just get it when you can.
Enjoy.

Thanks for the perfect responce
and about Nile!I know!!! I have In their darkend Shrines and it is soo fucking intence! The egyptian melody's make the technicality and heaviness even more brutal! I've just listened to Execretion Text.

Reactions: narcisco
Onward all Egyptologists.

Thanks man for the post.
And the other classic from the 80's is of course Watchtower- Control and Resistance. You should try and pick it up if you are into prog.

the vocals really suck with Watchtower. But some really amazing instrumentation and Ron Jazombek is hugely underated. The band was way over its time.

Have you heard Spiral Architect? They rule too.

I recieved Morningrise in the mail today. It's amazing. It's really complex and hard to digest and i love it! I don't think it's as good as BwP or SL, but i can hear it's an album that needs to be analysed for years and years. It's amazing how much Michael's vocals have improved over the years.

Morningrise:
Absolutely beautiful melodies throughout, wonderful acoustic passages, so much raw emotion, brilliant.

One of the downsides is that some of the songs aren't structured too well - riffs are somewhat pasted together.

Advent is a cracker, but after the initial thrill of it dies off, it isn't the best on the album.
The Night and the Silent Water is a classic, it's so beautifully emotional.
Nectar is the weaker link, although still being good, it has a few weak moments.
Black Rose Immortal is a wonderful epic masterpiece, but it could probably benefit from being a bit shorter. The middle-section is possibly the greatest thing Opeth have ever written.
To Bid You Farewell won the song survivor, and I can't argue, it's Opeth's best clean-vocal song.

My Arms Your Hearse is still the best though, in my opinion. Blackwater and Morningrise both close behind.

Grab Morningrise. It's amazing. Then get Whisper Supremacy. It's the best cryptopsy album. I'm surprised you didnt get that one first!

i got And then you'll beg and None so Vile. They're both some of the most extreem shit out there. Flo and Jon are just inhuman!!

As to Watchtower vocals they are certainly a love em or hate them scenario. But hey that is some of the best bass playing ever to grace the genre of metal.

Also I might add the first few times you here the Starcraft soundtrack and you are trying to outlast the Zerg...lol.

Some excerpts of Killers

And just listen to Reign In Blood with fresh ears and wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!

The opening few minutes of Hemispheres by Rush if you are feeling retro.

Yes.. well I am not into yes but The Yes Album is cool.

Coroner-Grin.

To stretch the point check out Forbidden and their first three albums.
Great technical thrash.

Forced Entry

Realm