What Opeth Song Should I Play For My Class

Play Wreath, Deliverance, or The Leper in Affinity for them. Those are all very diverse songs. Yes, I know they are a little on the "heavy side," but that is the kind of songs you want to play to a crowd of hip hop fans. Blow them away. Those are the kind of Opeth songs that are going to raise some eyebrows.

Don't play anything of 'Deliverance' with the possible exception of 'A Fair Judgement' (Which might be too long...) as compared to previous Opeth, the songs are 'Too Br00tal'

I'd be going with either Moonlapse Vertigo, Face Of Melinda, or Possibly To Bid You Farewell (Length again?).

Or you could always just go with something of Damnation... at least you won't have people 'closing there ears' after the first few chords ;)

Better yet, if you can take in Multiple songs, Butter 'em up with something from Damnation, then tell them your next song is by the same artist but is REMARKABLY different. :Smug:

I'd pick The Drapery Falls because the start is sooo catchy and awesome...

then again... the stupid part of the rap and r'n'b crowd will insist on stopping any Opeth song after a minute or something because they want the catchy part and the singing part to kick in straight away...

If you want to shock... hrrmr... the first few times I listened to When in my headphones the acoustic --> distortion transition scared the shit out of me... :)

Fuck 'em. Play something like Dies Irae - Nine Angels, Fleshless - Blood of Whore, Skinless - Merry Mellody, Anaal Nathrakh - Pandemonic, Nile - Chapter For Transforming Into a Snake.... you get the point.

Just destroy them. :)

Seriously, play Moonlapse. I have a friend who was a classic rock fan, imparticular he really loved Tom Petty; being apart of this generation though he also listened to rap and hip-hop. I think I started him with In Flames, and he really did like it for some of the more up-beat songs, though he didn't care for the vocals, he didn't mind them much either. But Opeth, he couldn't understand, the growls were 10x more brutal than Ander's ghostly screams. So I showed him Moonlapse, and he was blown away, I mean it really touched him. He told me he envisioned a hero fighting off demons and such with the opening section, and for this guy, that was definitely a good thing. His face almost quite literally did this:
:OMG:

The intro really has this desperate and melancholic call, yet it's beautifully interwoven with "metal". Then comes Mikael's soft voice into the audio plane, and this really caught his attention. When the vocals made a turn to the brutal, he kept going with it because by then it had his attention and drew him in. And once Opeth draws you in, you're at your most vulnerable, and you'll find yourself listening to things that you never imagined yourself listening to only a few moments before that.

Once I explained to him what I thought about the brutal growls and what they meant musical, he was definitely more open to listening to more. Of course not until after Moonlapse caught his attention to listen in the first place; my words would have been nothing without that critical influencing masterpiece.

Before presenting the piece, I think you should discuss what growling vocals mean. If not for just a brief moment, because if you just throw it on, even those normally willing might dismiss it for that "crazy satan music that that dude with long hair with black shirts listens to". I think I explain it best in this post where I'm arguing why growling is a viable form of art to this arrogant asshole.

I quoted the good stuff you should present and discuss to your class, but for the entire post go here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=1375220#post1375220
DemonOfTheFall said:
There is a spectrum known as emotion, in it, there's a diverse range; ranging from happiness, sadness, desperation, anger, and many others if you want to get into the technicalities of their definitions.

If you follow it closely, clean vocals represent a sense of calm or hope, as opposed to growling vocals representing anger, desperatism, and other darker themes. And that's when it clicked, growling is not an immature form of some punk-wannabe assholes trying to be different in the name of idiot-teenage rebellion; it is as valid a form of art as Beethoven's 5th symphony.

Back to metal, as a musician, you have to experience it first hand. I write music with growls, screams, and clean vocals, all the same, because I am trying to emulate the spectrum of emotion as I see fit. If you growl, you will feel the gut-wrenching beauty of hate, anger, desperatism, and depression. Anders hits a point close to a ghostly-gasp in some of his vocals, close to his voice cracking while screaming, and it makes chills run up my spine.

So I conclude that to think growls are the sounds of men taking shits while playing heavy music, is a very naive decision to make, and is coming from a close-minded and ignorant perspective; or at least it is to say that it's uncreative and false. I could understand saying "i don't like it", but I can't understand saying "it diminishes the music and would be better if it wasn't that way"; that's just arrogant.

On a last note, spreading the gospel of Opeth is the best thing you can do to someone's life if they truly listen to shitty music (which of course they are unaware of). Think of it as those who live in the Matrix, they don't wanna be unplugged, but once they see reality, only then can they enjoy its true beauty by knowing that which is truth. Because once you find the truth, you never go back :D...

Reactions: nemesis_outlawed
The Drapery Falls.

Its a song that has both soft vocals and heavy vocals, its a quick and easy song to get into, perfect for an intro.

I would like to show the Moor, but since the intro of the song is a little slow to get into, people I try showing the song to get bored before it even starts :-D.

crimsonfloyd said:
Ok so in my Compsition class we are writing essays on music. Most of the students know nothing beyond rap and R&B, I'd say at least 66%. Most didn't even know there was a difference between punk and metal. Anyways for the next three days, we are going to bring in music. I'm gonna have to suffer through so many Jay-Z, Ja Rule and Fabulous songs Im gonna want to killmy self. Well I think they should have to suffer through at least one Opeth song and I'm hoping some of the more opened minded students will apriciate possibly even like it. But I don't know which song to bring in. I want something that shows both the soft and heavy side of Opeth. Pherhaps "Deliverance" as it has both death and clean parts throughout. What do you all think?

For god sake! not deliverance, they will think it really sucks beacause it takes a good while to get into it. Play Bleak or Drapery Falls!

I actually played an Opeth-song in class once. We had to bring a song for Latin-class that was about death/loss. I played Blackwater Park :D

Luckily, my teacher was very open-minded so we sat through the whole 12 min. :)
My class didn't really like it though.

If I were you, I'd crush them. You have to be harsh and uncompromising. Demon of the Fall would be an excellent choice, but I'd choose a different band altogether. You have to hit them hard. :D