What Opeth Song Should I Play For My Class

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Ok so in my Compsition class we are writing essays on music. Most of the students know nothing beyond rap and R&B, I'd say at least 66%. Most didn't even know there was a difference between punk and metal. Anyways for the next three days, we are going to bring in music. I'm gonna have to suffer through so many Jay-Z, Ja Rule and Fabulous songs Im gonna want to killmy self. Well I think they should have to suffer through at least one Opeth song and I'm hoping some of the more opened minded students will apriciate possibly even like it. But I don't know which song to bring in. I want something that shows both the soft and heavy side of Opeth. Pherhaps "Deliverance" as it has both death and clean parts throughout. What do you all think?

I think that the song Black Rose Immortal would be good :D

Other than that... I've always thought of The Moor as a good introduction to Opeth song for some reason...

Deliverance would be good. If it's ok to play something 14 minutes long.

Yeah, I did the same, and those assholes cut me off at like 4 minutes into Advent. :(

"Its to long"
"But you can't experience the full effect without the whole song!"
"Its just to long"

Assholes

Bleak is only 9, and that's a crowd pleaser. Moonlapse Vertigo seems good as well.

crimsonfloyd said:
Ok so in my Compsition class we are writing essays on music. Most of the students know nothing beyond rap and R&B, I'd say at least 66%. Most didn't even know there was a difference between punk and metal. Anyways for the next three days, we are going to bring in music. I'm gonna have to suffer through so many Jay-Z, Ja Rule and Fabulous songs Im gonna want to killmy self. Well I think they should have to suffer through at least one Opeth song and I'm hoping some of the more opened minded students will apriciate possibly even like it. But I don't know which song to bring in. I want something that shows both the soft and heavy side of Opeth. Pherhaps "Deliverance" as it has both death and clean parts throughout. What do you all think?

Deliverance would be an excellent choice.

it shows raw aggression and sweet musicianship

sweet clean vocals and down-right mean growls

but i would pick Face of Melinda

that is just me

The best one would probably be Blackrose Immortal....but I doubt they'll let you play 20 minute epics.

A Fair Judgement is a beautiful song which incorporates both sides of Opeth, even if it sounds soft to the fans, it's also a heavy tune.

I would personally play The Moor, cause to me, that song perfectly embodies everything that is Opeth.

My second choice would be The Drapery Falls, as it's a classic song which has converted a lot of people into Opeth fans.

Oh, and Dirge For November is a good choice too...it's the first Opeth song I heard, and I've been a fan ever since. It's practically the song that got me into metal....and I used to be such a nice guy ;)

i think you should go with The Drappery falls because it starts out soft, so people won't put it off...
they'll be like...
"hey... this is pretty good"
and then when the growls start some will go
"blehhh sucks"
but then others will say
"hey... not so bad"

so youknow... even though Bleak is super sweet and a panty-dropper [really] it starts out with the growls, which might make people lose interest... or hwatever