What Opeth Song Should I Play For My Class

i would suggest moonlapse..... its not as sheer ripping kick you in the asshole metal riffs like wreath or deliverance..... moonlpase starts out with clean vocals then kicks you in the ass with the brilliant growling power of mikael...... but iff you just want to blow their panties off and put the rap to shame play wreath

I think "Harvest" would be good - short, sweet, catchy, with a couple of jazzy twists in it...

When I was a youngster (early 80s), I brought in "Crazy Train" for composition class. That was fun...

I was thinking Serenity Painted Death, just because of the whole feel of the song. Very enjoyable.

Bleak or The Drapery Falls would probably best, since those seem to be the songs that get people that don't like Opeth to listen.

Djm said:
I was thinking Serenity Painted Death, just because of the whole feel of the song. Very enjoyable.

Bleak or The Drapery Falls would probably best, since those seem to be the songs that get people that don't like Opeth to listen.
Serenty Painted Death

if you;re gonna play something in a class that is probably 45min-1 hour, then you cant paly something long, if they are jsut going to listen to it once, you need to give them something that effect them the first tiem they lsiten to. no growling song. it's not going to suprise theyre jsut gonna laugh at teh growling and say it's stupid because its unknown to them, i reccomend some soft song. but not from deliverance, because that is too accessable, and...bad. i highly recommend face of melinda. credence or hope leaves would do, but not harvast.

i would choose The Drapery Falls - thats not that long, there are acoustic parts as well as heavy riffs...
let us know about the reaction of your classmates...
and concquer their ears (souls) by METAL!!!

If you want to start out soft, and work your way into the heavier parts, go with "Dirge For November"...

If you want to just completely blow them away, "Serenity Painted Death"...

I think it all depends how much time I can get away with around 15 min Deliverance, if I can only get away with a short song I'll have to settle with Demon of the Fall or Karma (Neithers a good intro to Opeth IMO but they're the only slightly short growling songs). I also think the line "Demon, Demon of the Fall" gives people the wrong idea about Opeth. I still don't know what I will play if I can get away with say 10 minutes, pherhapse "Godheads Lement". What do you think?

crimsonfloyd said:
Ok so in my Compsition class we are writing essays on music. Most of the students know nothing beyond rap and R&B, I'd say at least 66%. Most didn't even know there was a difference between punk and metal. Anyways for the next three days, we are going to bring in music. I'm gonna have to suffer through so many Jay-Z, Ja Rule and Fabulous songs Im gonna want to killmy self. Well I think they should have to suffer through at least one Opeth song and I'm hoping some of the more opened minded students will apriciate possibly even like it. But I don't know which song to bring in. I want something that shows both the soft and heavy side of Opeth. Pherhaps "Deliverance" as it has both death and clean parts throughout. What do you all think?

I think Deliverance might be too heavy for them... you shuld try something like Bleak.. or something a little bit softer. Face of Melinda its a great song, but its too soft...

When!

Crank up the volume for the soft part and watch the looks on their faces when he suddnely growls "ARRGHHH RED SUN RISING"

Seriously, When wins.

DemonOfTheFall said:
On a last note, spreading the gospel of Opeth is the best thing you can do to someone's life if they truly listen to shitty music (which of course they are unaware of). Think of it as those who live in the Matrix, they don't wanna be unplugged, but once they see reality, only then can they enjoy its true beauty by knowing that which is truth. Because once you find the truth, you never go back :D...

Yeah?

Tell that to Cypher! :p ;)

mac said:
When!

Crank up the volume for the soft part and watch the looks on their faces when he suddnely growls "ARRGHHH RED SUN RISING"

Seriously, When wins.
When, of course. When is a winner!!!!

And there's pretty much clean vocals in the end. I like the heavy drums together with the clean vox on that song.