Most dissapointing Opeth song.

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
This isnt about which song you think is the worst, this is about the song which dissapointed you most, the one that failed to live up to your expectations. So your answer should be a song which when first heard it you thought it was gonna be amazing, but with repeated listens you lost interest. Or a song which the first half you fell in love with only to be let down by the remaining portion. Or a song you at first thought there was great depth to only to later realise there really wasnt. I hope ive made it clear that your answer to this question should be a song that at one stage you really liked, or thought you would really like in the future.

And also while your at it you may as well do the opposite, which Opeth song suprised you the most? The one you listened to a few times and thought of it only as 'ok' only to later realise its one of their best.... Now we all know that every Opeth song uncovers more and more as you listen to it, but the question is which one made the BIGGEST jump from 'kinda ok' to 'flawless'....

I shall answer the questions once ive had a bit of time to think.

I don't think any songs disappoint me that much. I guess that is why they are one of my most favorite bands. I like all the songs in gifferent ways.

advent :p

everyone is going on about how great it is, but it wasn't what i expected/hoped it to be...then again im not a big fan of opeth's first 2 albums... (BLASPHEMY!!! :D yea i know) they are nice, but not really my kind of style.

:)

right, ive sat my Opeth CDs in front of me and im reading through each song and trying to remember my initial impressions and compare them to my current impressions...

hmmm... well the biggest suprises were:
Black Rose Immortal.... at first seemed like a meaningless collection of ideas that could have stopped at any point and still be a complete song.... but soon after i began seeing it in its whole form, and now i love it...
Serenity Painted Death... listened to this one for a long time and liked it but saw nothing special about it, indeed i thought most of the riffs were uninspired and didnt really do much for me... then i found the meaning of the lyrics and viewed the song in a completely different light, suddenly i started listening to it more and more and suddenly it all came together and its one of my favourites now!

and now for the dissapointments... this is much harder..
The Leper Affinity... at first i didnt like it much.. then i started to really get into it but then for the first time ever an Opeth song just lost its appeal... i dont know why but when i listen to the song now im never that interested...it seemed like it was following a similar path to SPD but it wasnt to be, i still like the song but i thought it was becoming a favourite at one stage and it never made it there.

ill keep thinking and if any more memories arise i shall post again.

so come on people, be brave... just because a thread mentions 'disappointing' and 'opeth' in the same sentence doesnt mean you have to avoid it!!!!

Circle Of Tyrants, its a cover song which really doesn't fit at all on the MAYH re-release, it sticks out like a sore-thumb, its just so not a MAYH song, awful. i think the songs alright though, just it doesn't fit on the album.

Problably Bleak, everybody is raving about how great thats song is, it´s good but not as good as people are saying, maybe it will click in a few more spins. Much like Serenity Painted Death, I liked that song the least of Still Life but now it´s one of my favourite songs ever.

To date: In The Mist She Was Standing, and Black Rose Immortal

With Opeth, it takes many listens on many songs for them to "hit home". I don't hate any Opeth songs, but these two have not broken that invisible barrier of "I love that song" yet.

demon of the fall
nothing is wrong with the song, just that it's the most overated song i've seen. now i'll get flame

Dirge For November. It starts promising, but I just hate the growl part. When I first heard the track I thought it was gonna be something like Face Of Melinda, so I was really dissapointed when the growls came in. I still don´t think they fit in that song.

Originally posted by terrymx
demon of the fall
nothing is wrong with the song, just that it's the most overated song i've seen. now i'll get flame

Hehehe, I'm not gonna flame ya, but so far Demon would be my favourite Opeth song. I first had it on MP3 and thought it was OK and never really got into it, but I bought MAYH on the weekend and that songs grabbed my attention majorly. I don't know if the MP3 was a crap quality or maybe my car stereo is better than the headphones I use at work, but my opinion of the song changed with one listen. It seems to combine everything I love Opeth into one song (ok maybe thats a big call but I'm smitten by then song at the moment).

I don't know any song I'm disappointed in yet.

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Dirge For November. It starts promising, but I just hate the growl part. When I first heard the track I thought it was gonna be something like Face Of Melinda, so I was really dissapointed when the growls came in. I still don´t think they fit in that song.

ME TOO!!! you wanna hear a BETTER version of it? I edited it so that the heavy middle part is taken out (i know, go ahead and flame me) and it is MUCH better... become a REALLY chilling song, a totally different feel than with the heavy part in.

That is really one of the only songs... though i keep hearing people say Harvest is an awesome song... the guitar parts to me are SOOO BLAND and retarded.. the worst opeth song ever i think. The vocal parts are kinda neat in some parts... but FUCK is the rest EVER boring! SOUNDS LIKE A LESBIAN FOLK SONG!!! AHH!!!!!

BTW if ANYONE wants to hear the better version of Dirge lemme know.. i will upload it somewhere... TRUST me you will like it better.... fuck all you tr00 faggots who say "oh Opeth wrote it that way therefore it is best that way" shut up or i will punch you hehe.