Poll: Which Opeth song "sums up" the band?

frayededges

Quiet, like a slit wrist
Jan 26, 2003
Greensboro NC
Visit site
I'm wondering what you guys and gals think is the "definitive" Opeth song...

In other words, if you had a friend that you wanted to introduce to Opeth, and you could only play one song for them, which one would it be?

Tough, isn't it?

tough questions, and I think it depends on what sort of music this 'friend' is in to.

if their a non-metaller, than you might try Harvest or Credence. If there into metal, than you might try the Leper Affinity, as its harsh, but fairly groovy and catchy also.

I would choose these songs, not because thier the best, but only cause there some of the most accessible IMO.

As far as which song sums up the band entirely, I would say you need look no furthr than 'When'. Its got all the Opeth elements.

Oh, my brother listens to rap, hip hop and all that stuff, but he loves the final orgy of riffage from 'Deliverance'. Who wouldn't?

that begs the question. Has anyone converted a non-metaller to metal using Opeth?

Originally posted by Id
Probably the Drapery Falls, my friend started to like Opeth after he heard that.

I got 2 people listening to Opeth from the Drapery Falls. Both being completely clueless about metal.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Benighted

How can this sum opeth up since it's all acoustic/clean vocal...a big part of opeth is the growling and the heavy riffs...

I'd say the drapery falls is a pretty good one or perhaps Godhead laments

So in the end if I had to play one song, it would have to have mix of crunch and acoustic, clean and growl, so I'd go with "Drapery Falls," maybe "Bleak."

I'd like to come up with a definitive, all-purpose Opeth mix that fits on an 80 minute CDR to give many friends, some of whom like metal a little, some of whom like very little metal. It's hard to conceive of such a mix without "Bleak" "Drapery Falls" "Deliverance" "Fair Judgement" "Face of Melinda" and one other Still Life song, maybe "the Moor." While the old stuff is great, it's more raw and less accessible.

I have been an Opeth fanboy for a total of three weeks, already I own Blackwater Park 2 disc, Still Life and Deliverance
I knew of them, but the Harsh growls scared me off, a member off a different forum ICQ'd me and sent me "Drapery", I was an absoulte addict after only one song.

Now I listen to Opeth constantly everyday, I still chat to this fellow Opeth friend about Opeth and other bands and he sends me songs off the earlier albums, suffice to say I will be purchasing them all very soon!!

Hope this helps:)

P.S. I also heard Bleak and The Moor very early in the piece, A fair judgement hits the spot to!!

Moonlapse Vertigo remains my choice. It's got amazing riffage, starts with clean vocals (like Drapery Falls), then goes into a heavier realm.

A Fair Judgement, the Face of Melinda, or other songs without growls at all wouldn't really represent.

Godhead's Lament, Bleak, Drapery Falls, When, they're all about equal in that. I'd say Deliverance too, but it's a bit weirder and not so representative of everything else. And of course, a song off the last 4 won't represent the first 2 so well, or the other way around.

Great replies all, thanks for all the feedback!

I personally would have to agree with the majority of posts saying that "The Drapery Falls" and "Bleak" are probably the 2 most varied in mood that I can think of, as well. Both demonstrate not ALL of Opeth's sounds, but most of them, and they both just WORK so well!

For a non-metalhead, something off of "blackwater park" would probably work well... I'm thinking if you knew someone who was already into metal, something from "my arms your hearse" might work well...

Or maybe that's just because I'm totally obsessed with "MAYH" right now...

:lol: