• Blackwater Park

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
what song for you really sums up what the album is all about? what song just spells out the album name (and dont say the song BWP :p ) i dont mean your favourite song, although it could be but the one that just makes you scream ''this is blackwater park'' (album not song :) )

oh and no cop outs, you must choose either one or none. :D

as you can clearly see by my now playing thingy i chose...The Leper Affinity :D (thats gonna confuse you :rolleyes: ) the piano thingy at the end, the echoed windy sound thiny at the beginning for me just says welcome to BWP, it has it all and goes POW.

Well 'none' for me.

This album is the one i view as a 'collection of songs', i cant see it as a whole, i see no reason to listen to it from start to finish i only ever listen to one song at a time. Therefore no song sums up the album because i dont view it as an album. I could only pick my favourite, which isnt the point of this thread. I see no relation between any of the songs (except maybe harvest/drapery.... and also the last few songs).

None of their other albums are like this for me though.
I think the songs on Blackwater park are as good as before, but i dont think the 'album' is as good, thats the conclusion i've come to finally, took me a while to figure out my thoughts. This is obviously just an subjective opinion based on taste but does anyone else agree?

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
This album is the one i view as a 'collection of songs', i cant see it as a whole, i see no reason to listen to it from start to finish

i think only BWP and Morningrise are the 2 i can listen right the way through easily without knowing, the time just seems to fly. i think it just flows beautifuly. but then you probably see MAYH as a flowing album, where as i don't. (still love mayh though, just doesnt seem to flow, its like one song finishes, the next one starts, but thats not the point)

The Drapery Falls

I find BWP has a great flow to it. The lead into Bleak from the piano, etc. I just find that The Drapery Falls is the hump song - the peak (and yes, it falls in the middle of the album). The Funeral Portrait kicks ass from beginning to end, but The Drapery Falls embodies the Opethian experience of the ever changing moods of their music contained within a song.

I happen to think that Drapery Falls is one of Opeth's finest by a composition standpoint (as well as in a song perspective). Even if you dislike the song, you must give it respect from a classical (form and structure more important than emotional content) standpoint, though I don't think it's lacking in romantic elements.