Dirge for November = Underrated

AFairJudgement0

A fair judgement deserved
Jan 2, 2006
Guelph/Peterborough, Ontario
Hi,

I would like to express my thoughts on what I think is one of the most underrated songs on BWP. No doubt about it, some of the greatest Opeth tunes come from this album, but no one ever says much about this song.

I really think that this song has everything that Opeth fans are looking for. For those that really enjoy the clean tunes like a fair judgement, face of melinda, etc, this song has a great opening with clean classical guitar, and a great mix of clean/growling lyrics. I really like how both guitars work together in this song, with excellent harmonies/octaves, and really cool sounding clean guitars. I really love the transition from the clean guitar to the heavy, It is one of my favourite heavy instrumental opeth riffs.

I think that many people are scared away from this song, because of its ending and it kind of leaves you in a lull. However, this song serves the purpose of being a transitionary song (also like harvest) to separate the heavier tunes on the album (TDF, and FP) and give you a break.

This song has always been one of my favourites, and all my friends just seem to glance over it when I mention it, and I think that is because the BWP album has so many really great tunes that ppl often focus on the heavier songs and dont appreciate tunes like this that are equally as good as BWP, TDF, Bleak, Leper, and FP.

I just thought I'd shoot this out here for ppl to go back and give a listen to one of the most underrated songs out there in my opinion.

I think the reason it's overlooked is because the core of the song just feels like one long sludgey drone. There is no interest being created by dynamics. I personally really like the ending though.

yeah, i can see that. It really doesn't have any separating parts like most opeth songs do (solos, chugging riffs) and such. But again as a transitionary song I think it is great and I really kinda like how it goes on like a drone. Just my personal preference I guess.

Ehhh, I really enjoy the sudden transitions in most Opeth songs, which this one lacks. Nonetheless, a strong track.

Dirge is clearly my favourite song on BWP. the soft parts are beautiful and the massive, heavy middle section is monumental and breathtaking. this song is definitely in my Opeth top-ten among such brilliant works like Karma, When, April Ethereal, Godhead's Lament, Twilight Is My Robe or Advent.

Read the lyrics, then listen again. Its a song about suicide and probably depression. Not bipolar disorder, just good ole' depression. The sudden changes of intensity wouldn't make sense. When your depressed, you dont' suddenly change moods. Musically speaking, its like a drone that just doesn't go away. Its By far not my most listened to track, but its a huge artistic statement nonetheless.

dirge for noember has recently become one of my favorite tracks on BWP. i would disagree on the use of the term drone, i dont think it drones at all but rather builds up. because that is what deppression is, built up emotions that drives one to suicide. and the music reflects that, the music suddenly changes as the character has solidly mad up his mind that suicide is neccessary. then it just keeps building and building as he performs the cut and then finally there's the sudden stop and the song reverts back to a softer sound. after all those emotions keep building up suicide accures and then nothing but death. death is quick and empty.

give the song a thorough listen and tell me if anyone still disagrees.

Instead Of People complaining about what songs are underrated why don't they shut up and just listen to it anyway? It's mindless babbling. First it was "OMG BLEAK IS LIKE, SO OVERRATED" and now Dirge For November is underrated? Why does it matter if they get "rated" at all? We all know of the songs, so I don't think they need any more mentioning than usual.

Let's be serious here.

- the Somewhat Fat Guitarist

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Instead Of People complaining about what songs are underrated why don't they shut up and just listen to it anyway? It's mindless babbling. First it was "OMG BLEAK IS LIKE, SO OVERRATED" and now Dirge For November is underrated? Why does it matter if they get "rated" at all? We all know of the songs, so I don't think they need any more mentioning than usual.

Let's be serious here.

...or we could explain WHY they are underated. And tell people, "Listen again you fools. This song pwns!" Because all Opeth songs pwn in some way. And my opinion is superior.:dopey:

very underrated. i cannot figure out why nobody likes it. i guess because the majority of the song is fairly linear and quiet. however the melodies are fantastic, from start to finish. its among the best on BWP imo.

just 2 weeks ago or something there was a big thread about this .... so what are you all talking about underrated? there were lots of people stating this was their favourite of BWP ...
this forum is getting as repetitive as Dirge For Novembre :p

Tubbs Mcgee said:

Let's be serious here.

All I was trying to do is spark discussion on a song that may not get appreciated as much as some other Opeth tunes. I dont think its a crime to express an opinion and try to open people's eyes to what I think is an excellent track. Im not an Opeth forum addict, so I haven't seen this song get discussed in other posts but I just wanted to know what people thought of the song.

I agree that most of us know the songs, but if you are content with just knowing the songs then why are you so involved in a discussion forum?? I use this forum to get different perspectives into Opeth's songs/lyrics/riffs etc. I enjoy learning as much as I can about them and appreciate all different perspectives that people give.

To those who brought up the point about depression, I think those are some really interesting perspectives. I hadn't really thought about the song in that way. Thanks for your input.

Braighs said:
Read the lyrics, then listen again. Its a song about suicide and probably depression. Not bipolar disorder, just good ole' depression. The sudden changes of intensity wouldn't make sense. When your depressed, you dont' suddenly change moods. Musically speaking, its like a drone that just doesn't go away. Its By far not my most listened to track, but its a huge artistic statement nonetheless.

Yes, exactly. I too love this song - it's the first Opeth song I learned to play (the repetition makes it an easy one to learn)!