Underrated Opeth songs.

good thread.
ill have to say godhead's lament and the funeral portrait. both of these songs are "big" and yet, are almost never talked about. i say "big" to compare the energy they seem to have with other underrated songs like bleak, wreath, and the amen corner. Those three seem like lesser songs.

as SL is a concept album, Godhead's Lament, at least for me, is the most important song on the album. maybe not the best, but definitely the most important.

When- the beginning of that song has enough power to kill a Yeti, and the rest of it just plain bad-ass.

The Funeral Portrait- I'm no geetar player, but the "angry" guitar tone used in the verse after the initial "ruby eyes in the fog" is amazing.

My two votes.

Bartman

Bartman: i learned that riff yesterday and its all i do now. i was mowing the grass today and had to stop so i could play it. was having withdrawals you know.

get a guitar now!

ruby eyes in the foohg. yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Forest of October, Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, A Fair Judgement, and By the Pain I See In Others.

The Godhead's Lament, The Apostle in Triumph, The Amen Corner, and By The Pain I See In Others are all great songs, and no one ever compliments on them.

White Cluster.

It rarely gets a mention, but its my favorite song off Still Life at the mo. One awesome riff after another, and one of the best Opeth solos ever. It's a great finale to the album, lyrically and musically.
Great title too.

I agree about When. I even undeservedly underrated it at first. Demon of the Fall seems a bit overrated (even though I like it, as I like all Opeth songs, or at least parts of them.) But The Amen Corner is far better in my opinion.

The first song by Opeth I remember listening to was Bleak, followed by The Drapery Falls, and Dirge For November. And even though I hadn't heard growling to that extent before, Harvest didn't draw me to them as much. It was their progressiveness and their contrasting sound that drew me in. And it was definitely Bleak that did that most. Those remain my favorites of Blackwater Park, even though I never liked Deliverance as much as Morningrise or Orchid, so this idea about new fans only liking the new albums/overlooking old albums isn't always true.

Forest of October and Apostle In Triumph seem to be everyones' favorites of Orchid, and they are mine as well, but The Twilight Is My Robe and Under the Weeping Moon have some of the best lyrics and melodies on that album. Lyrics like:

"We are all bending
Our tired leaves over your empty shell
In the sign of true esteem
Are you beloved lord
Sighing deep under these waterfalls?
"

and

"Burn the winter landmarks
That said I was there
Burn the spirit of cold
That travel through my soul
"

It seems like "The Moor" is many a favorite Still Life song, but "Moonlapse Vertigo" is also a great one. Also "White Cluster" seems to be overlooked because of "Serenity Painted Death", despite being such a great closing song for the album.

Moonlapse said:
Hard to say which are underrated as Opeth's fanbase is split up so widely. In pertinence to newer fans, I'd have to go with pretty much all the older material. I hate people who are stuck on D&D as 'g|234t3st 4lbUm 3v4r!!!'.

Look! I'm a newer fan, and I really like Deliverance. Sorry if I'm not oldschool enought for you.

Wreath is probably far underrated by old and new alike. I didn't care for it much, except the ethnic drumming in the latter part, but I can't say I DISliked it. And when I listened to it just now, I realize there is melody in it I didn't notice before.

Is A Fair Judgement well liked? I was at only one of their concerts, and people were yelling song titles like "Demon of the Fall" or "Bleak" (actually the Bleak was mostly me. :p ) but I didn't hear anyone mention A Fair Judgement. And I don't know many Opeth fans where I live.

A Fair Judgement is my favorite of the album, but I am biased because I like the melody of it. (And the doomy ending!) If I had to choose a heavy song on the album it would be By The Pain I See In Others.

Deadlift said:
WHEN isn`t only underrated. It`s one of their best songs.

Agreed. When is pure undilluted musical brilliance. Especially that end, kills me every time. But then that's more or less how I feel about MAYH and Opeth as a whole anyway. :p

When can I take you from this place?
When is the word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When will we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?
When is the new beginning
and the end of this sad Madrigal?